Resin Illuminati

Resin Illuminati (https://www.resinilluminati.com/index.php)
-   Sci-Fi and Fantasy (https://www.resinilluminati.com/forumdisplay.php?f=88)
-   -   BSG Cobra/King Cobra variant (https://www.resinilluminati.com/showthread.php?t=17359)

srspicer 05-11-2019 05:55 AM

BSG Cobra/King Cobra variant

11 Attachment(s)
Greetings All,

This is my first purely digital model. There will be some traditional modeling for some smaller details, and I plan on using one of Tennacontrols lighting systems. I am using Fusion360. There is so much to know about using the program, its almost mind-boggling, never ending, a fun learning process though. I will be creating a page on my website eventually.

My inspiration for this model is Brain Larson's 'BSG Revised, Viper concept 02' and the various versions other digital artists have done with the design. My take on his design I'm calling the Cobra, with a Wild-Weasel version the King Cobra. The King Cobra has an extra ventral gun pod and an electronics package on a wing mount.
Attached are Brian's original design and my somewhat less graceful version.

I decided to have the tail grown by Shapeways as an experiment. No image, but it turned out very nice, using their detailed material. I wanted to grow the two hull sections through them as well, but they are expensive. No need to brake the bank on a personal project. I'm thinking of asking someone with a Formlabs machine to grow a part for me for a material/dimensional test. I searched several 3D printing companies and went with Sculpteo. I chose their Multijet Fusion, PA12 (Grey) because of its 'plastic' properties. It has a more coarse texture than what I want, but this is a trial at this stage.

The parts fit perfectly, as designed. What I have found is, priming the part before sanding helps fill the surface, then start with the red-lead filler.:)
This will not be a fast-paced build. so I apologize in advance! Thanks for looking.:thumbsup:

Tiberious 05-11-2019 05:15 PM

Re: BSG Cobra/King Cobra variant

Can't see the images. It keep sending me to the log-in screen... And I'm already logged in!:dontknow:

OKCmike 05-11-2019 05:43 PM

Same here, not gettin' nothin' but log in screen also.

srspicer 05-11-2019 06:51 PM

Don't know what's up, they are attached in the body of the thread. Guess I'll make a page on my site. Thanks for looking!

srspicer 05-11-2019 08:40 PM

Change the images, hope it helps.

Richard Baker 05-14-2019 07:53 AM

The images are appearing fine with me right now!
I really like this design- IMO the only drawback is that it has almost no forward visibility. I know that most craft are flying with electronics to navigate so that should not be a problem

Tiberious 05-14-2019 03:47 PM

Nice working pulling that shape out into three dimensions. Looking beastly.

srspicer 05-15-2019 07:23 AM

Thanks Tiberius!

Yes, low visibility! Just enough to make a non-instrument landing.;)

In my mind, the Cobra/King Cobra is a heavy attack platform and would operate with fighter support.

AdmiralBuck 05-15-2019 08:00 PM

Oh, I dig that design A LOT. Very tough looking! I’ve looked at Fusion 360 before as a better modeling tool than the freebie stuff I’ve been playing with. From what I’ve seen you do with this, I’m greatly encouraged and inspired!

fluke 05-20-2019 05:10 PM

Very interesting indeed! Looks like its coming along nicely.

srspicer 07-28-2019 07:47 PM

2 Attachment(s)
No building progress, but growing progress. Lots of parts to test fit & clean. So far every part fits as designed!:thumbsup:

I have also found that the best way to deal with this material is to cover the raw part with the gray Squadron putty, then sand. It turns the surface from a 320 grit to a 500 grit. Primer should fill the rest before final sanding & paint. ( I hope )

Nostromo 07-28-2019 09:09 PM

Looking forward to seeing more

cokefiend 10-28-2019 12:06 AM

very cool. will you be making the file available to print?

SCI-FI 10-28-2019 05:28 AM

Really like this design, great work-
-SF

Tiberious 11-01-2019 06:45 PM

Nice and promising. Will love to see it going together.