Resin Illuminati

Resin Illuminati (https://www.resinilluminati.com/index.php)
-   Real Space (https://www.resinilluminati.com/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   Revell 1:96 Apollo Saturn V (https://www.resinilluminati.com/showthread.php?t=7354)

rider 07-30-2009 08:24 AM

Revell 1:96 Apollo Saturn V
 
1 Attachment(s)
Finally started work on this Saturn V kit after putting it off for a few months.

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/j.../intromenu.jpg.

That's mainly why I put it off. For the price and potential, it's a pretty lousy/sophomoric kit that left me feeling jooped and ripped off at purchasing.

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/j...ider4d/sv1.jpg.

The plastic sheets are very light (so to be workable), but the overlapping functions and bracing leave a lot to be desired. The first stage for example, I had to hold together with duct tape :(.

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/j...der4d/sv2b.jpg.

That is all good and fine, but for the second and third stages where internal access becomes improbable, you end up with an easily collapsible rocket :(.

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/j...ider4d/sv2.jpg.

Stuff like that made me feel pretty grouchy. At the end of the day, this isn't some small little company trying to deliver a workable kit at a budget of generally obtainable and available resources, this is a world renowned kit manufacturer, and for me, such poor quality leaves little room for excuses. The box blurb grades this kit at skill level 5, (their highest) but that's a sophism in itself, as this kit seems to rely more on a wing and a prayer than any skill grade to build contently as is to any level of personal satisfaction.

Ofcourse, all levels of disappointment won't get this thing built, so I have started reworking in the hopes of learning how to solve it's obstacles and see if I can unify it accross the stages. So first step:-

The Third Stage

Being the smallest section of the model. I had a go at making my own fuselage. I got a piece of sheet styrene and using the kit sheet as a template cut it to scale, but left a gap, and with the aid of much superglue, brought the ends as close to the cut as I could and then used the brace to join them to eachother and the upper and lower end sections and hoped both the shape and the strength would hold them together.

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/j...ider4d/sv3.jpg
http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/j...4d/sv4copy.jpg.

It was looking very promising. Although the over A4 sized sheets of the other stages will leave me having to use the kit's sheets, as a method, this direction is looking healthy. :)

I figure my intention is to (if completed) have this piece able to be displayed both as the full on rocket, and also in it's stages, so I want to pack as much detail and aspects of the real deal as I can so it's going to probably be a long process to get there, but I'm hoping the results will reward the effort.

First up I started working on the engine section of the Third stage.
I cut and drilled out the yellow rim out of styrene and glued that in place. It is a little oversized but I don't have the means to go smaller for now.
I was was also scared incase it would obstruct it's connection to the lower piece of the rocket, but it seems to sit okay.

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/j...ider4d/sv5.jpg
http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/j...der4d/sv10.jpg.

Revell only accomodate the spheroids for this piece as kit parts. I began kitbashing the various braces and wiring and hoping to get somewhere close to the look of the section.

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/j...er4d/satv6.jpg

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/j...r4d/fdhfhg.jpg
http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/j...er4d/fdhhh.jpg
http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/j...der4d/gfhg.jpg.

Although there is still fine detailing to be added to it, I find myself sort of hopeful about the look.

The front of this piece I'm settling for an overall mild weathered metal look. I'm going to try to add wiring and various little bits onto it, aswell as sculpting the little 'dome' that seems to sit in the middle of this.

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/j...er4d/dfhfd.jpg
http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/j...r4d/hdfghg.jpg
http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/j...r4d/dfgfdg.jpg.

I started painting the section to get an overall look and feel of appearence and gave it a light clear coat to evaluate the look. Hopefully not too glossy, and not too matt.

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/j...r4d/scale2.jpg
http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/j...er4d/scale.jpg.

Work is still continuing on this section and the next update will be soon.

For the moment, thank you for looking and hope you may like ;)

Refit1701 07-30-2009 08:29 AM

Re: Revell 1:96 Apollo Saturn V
 
As the President of the Saturn V modeling Society, I give this thread a:

10 FOR WIN!

Keep it up! I like what you added to the S-IVB thrust stucture. You know there are aftermarket decals for that, right?

The forward skirt of the S-IVB should have boxes along the inside walls but nothing much on the tank top. I think there is a instrumentation cable running to the center.

Questions? Check here: www.apollosaturn.com

Lord Boron 07-30-2009 09:44 AM

Re: Revell 1:96 Apollo Saturn V
 
Who has the aftermarket decals? I have one of these and definitely want to do a total repaint of it.

Refit1701 07-30-2009 10:34 AM

Re: Revell 1:96 Apollo Saturn V
 
www.spacemodelsystems.com

I'm not associated with him, just helped with the research.

Lord Boron 07-30-2009 06:09 PM

Re: Revell 1:96 Apollo Saturn V
 
Cool. Thx!!!

Gunnie 07-30-2009 06:40 PM

Re: Revell 1:96 Apollo Saturn V
 
Wow - I'm so jealous Rider! :notworthy: I've always wanted to get one of those and build it up - just never have found the opportunity to nab the kit...

I'm watching yours with keen fascination.

darkimmitator 07-30-2009 06:41 PM

Re: Revell 1:96 Apollo Saturn V
 
Very nicely done .The details are very convincing ! Can't wait to see your progress .

777 07-30-2009 09:20 PM

Re: Revell 1:96 Apollo Saturn V
 
Nice snaps rider!!

rider 07-31-2009 04:43 AM

Re: Revell 1:96 Apollo Saturn V
 
Thank you all so much. ;)

Small update:-
I've finally gotten hold of a Compass Cutter. :D
It's very paper orientated so requires a few passes for styrene and the blade is a millimeter or two higher than I would have liked (I don't think it's adjustable sadly), but judging by this test cut, it's not too bad and I am so glad to be rid of the scissors in this aspect. It shall hopefully be a blessing for this build.

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/j...r4d/testc1.jpg
http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/j...r4d/testc2.jpg.

I've started trying to build the shield cover for the Command Module (which is also not included with the kit). Still a WIP and looking shoddy at this stage.

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/j...der4d/towa.jpg.

Will have more soon ;)



Quote:

Originally Posted by Refit1701 (Post 133312)
As the President of the Saturn V modeling Society, I give this thread a:

10 FOR WIN!

Keep it up! I like what you added to the S-IVB thrust stucture. You know there are aftermarket decals for that, right?

The forward skirt of the S-IVB should have boxes along the inside walls but nothing much on the tank top. I think there is a instrumentation cable running to the center.

Questions? Check here: www.apollosaturn.com

That is so damn cool, thank you whole heartidly for the the link. It will prove invaluable. :notworthy:

One of the main pluses for me in trying this build is that I know so very little about the Apollo rocket, and this build will hopefully go some way into educating me about it's many wonders and 'how it works/what it all does' and improve my language as to what the various structures and pieces are called.

I agree with the detailing, thank you for that input too. I will do all I can to incorporate as much of it as the kit (and my fingers :p) allow.

I'm hoping to have a go at making my own decals when the time comes. They probably won't be as thorough but I'd certainly like to try and see if that proves successful.

Refit1701 07-31-2009 06:21 AM

Re: Revell 1:96 Apollo Saturn V
 
If you have any questions on anything Saturn V related just ask. I'm on here WAY too much and need something to do...

I have a ton of new pics too of most everything, something that I need to get uploaded to my website. If you need something specific, say so.

:D

rider 07-31-2009 07:44 AM

Re: Revell 1:96 Apollo Saturn V
 
1 Attachment(s)
Refit, that would be fantastic, thank you sir :notworthy:

I do have some questions for the moment:-

1) I’m currently prepping work on the second stage unit. For the aft section, there seem to be two base color schemes to select, either a green, or white. I’m planning to go with a mildly weathered* white as I think that would bring out the details better for this model scale. Would that be respectful to the overall lore of Apollo?

*I plan to weather all the inner sections, just to give a sense that, when exposed, it has been in use and indicate an impression of the various initial thrusts of the separations.


2) On the top of the second stage tank, is orange the most honest color to go with for this section?

3) I’ve attached this cnet picture (see below). It appears that during a particular era for display, the end of one particular module has a silver (or in this case, metallic) banding. I actually really like the look of it and am wondering about incorporating this for painting. Although I have no idea as of yet if it is true to the actual service era of the Saturn’s, would this banding also be respectful to incorporate?


Hope those aren't too much of a headache and very much welcome your input. ;)

Refit1701 07-31-2009 08:14 AM

Re: Revell 1:96 Apollo Saturn V
 
Edit: The instructions for painting that come with the kit are bogus. Don't use them. I forgot about that. See here instead: Saturn V Markings Guide for info.

OMG, my website is so dated now. I am embarrassed to look at it. I don't visit it very much, obviously.

Gotta get that fixed.


Number 3 first:

That silver section you see is a ground handling fixture and not actually part of the stage. So no silver paint, sorry.

Number 2:

Weathering is normally not done on rockets but you should build *your* model the way you want it. Don't let convention stop you.

Let me get back to you on questions 1 and 2 later today (when I get home and can dig out photos). I can't explain the paint to you with those horrid photos.

ugh.


Quote:

Originally Posted by rider (Post 133520)

I do have some questions for the moment:-

1) I’m currently prepping work on the second stage unit. For the aft section, there seem to be two base color schemes to select, either a green, or white. I’m planning to go with a mildly weathered* white as I think that would bring out the details better for this model scale. Would that be respectful to the overall lore of Apollo?

*I plan to weather all the inner sections, just to give a sense that, when exposed, it has been in use and indicate an impression of the various initial thrusts of the separations.


2) On the top of the second stage tank, is orange the most honest color to go with for this section?

3) I’ve attached this cnet picture (see below). It appears that during a particular era for display, the end of one particular module has a silver (or in this case, metallic) banding. I actually really like the look of it and am wondering about incorporating this for painting. Although I have no idea as of yet if it is true to the actual service era of the Saturn’s, would this banding also be respectful to incorporate?


Hope those aren't too much of a headache and very much welcome your input. ;)


rider 08-01-2009 03:46 AM

Re: Revell 1:96 Apollo Saturn V
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Refit1701 (Post 133523)
That silver section you see is a ground handling fixture and not actually part of the stage. So no silver paint, sorry.

I had a niggling feeling that may have been what it was, thank you for clearing that up ;)
I'm starting to realize the yellow rim I added on my 3rd stage is also part of the handling fixtures, I may keep that one tho :D

Your website is pretty damn cool. Loving the pictures, research and info :-)

Damien9479 08-01-2009 04:56 AM

Re: Revell 1:96 Apollo Saturn V
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by rider (Post 133473)
Thank you all so much. ;)

Small update:-
I've finally gotten hold of a Compass Cutter. :D
It's very paper orientated so requires a few passes for styrene and the blade is a millimeter or two higher than I would have liked (I don't think it's adjustable sadly), but judging by this test cut, it's not too bad and I am so glad to be rid of the scissors in this aspect. It shall hopefully be a blessing for this build.

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/j...r4d/testc1.jpg
http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/j...r4d/testc2.jpg.

I've started trying to build the shield cover for the Command Module (which is also not included with the kit). Still a WIP and looking shoddy at this stage.

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/j...der4d/towa.jpg.

Will have more soon ;)





That is so damn cool, thank you whole heartidly for the the link. It will prove invaluable. :notworthy:

One of the main pluses for me in trying this build is that I know so very little about the Apollo rocket, and this build will hopefully go some way into educating me about it's many wonders and 'how it works/what it all does' and improve my language as to what the various structures and pieces are called.

I agree with the detailing, thank you for that input too. I will do all I can to incorporate as much of it as the kit (and my fingers :p) allow.

I'm hoping to have a go at making my own decals when the time comes. They probably won't be as thorough but I'd certainly like to try and see if that proves successful.

Sweet I have that same cutter!!....It is slightly awkward to use but it gets the job done...If I ever figure out a way to adjust the blade height I'll let you know ;)
Awesome start Rider!!...I have always wanted this beast but never got around to getting one :(
I'll be following this WIP to see what you do with it! :D

Tom:cool:

rider 08-01-2009 08:26 AM

Re: Revell 1:96 Apollo Saturn V
 
Thank you Damien and it's nice to share rotary cutting solidarity with someone :D


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:34 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.