Resin Illuminati

Resin Illuminati (https://www.resinilluminati.com/index.php)
-   Real Space (https://www.resinilluminati.com/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   X-15A-2 WIP....Yeah I know... (https://www.resinilluminati.com/showthread.php?t=6706)

Neb 05-27-2009 09:16 PM

X-15A-2 WIP....Yeah I know...

4 Attachment(s)
I know...it's already built. But dammit, I was on a deadline and while I had time to take piccies, I didn't have time to post them. Soooo....little by little as I get them processed I'll be adding more. Next bunch will be Sunday as I'll be helping dear Mother move across town. :rolleyes:

Let's start with the resin Ground Dolly. :-)

Neb 05-27-2009 09:24 PM

Re: X-15A-2 WIP....Yeah I know...

4 Attachment(s)
The most important aspect of this kit was planning---this dolly had to be right, or in the end she wouldn't sit on the ground right.:eek: I spent more time test fitting this beast than I did building it...:cool:

Those resin upper and lower control arms were paper-thin. You could see right through them without holding them up to the light.:( Luckily, they didn't collapse under the weight of the kit! :p

Neb 05-27-2009 09:31 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Finally, the plumbing, priming and painting. I went solely off the ref pics I took at Wright Patterson. The directions were "ok" but not entirely correct. This was a model within a model, much like the rest of the kit.:)

Well, that's all for now. More on Sunday. ;)

Refit1701 05-28-2009 03:53 AM

Keep them coming! I have that kit in the huge pile of stuff!!

Raytheon 05-28-2009 02:39 PM

That piece alone is a beauty, I mean seriously sharp stuff!

VERY nicely done sah!!

DarthDuck 05-28-2009 02:57 PM

DUDE-
The WIP "behind the finished gem" is pure gold and I don't care if it took awhile to get here- it's gonna be worth the wait!

Thanks for taking the time and effort to share this with us!:notworthy:

mar10 05-30-2009 10:01 AM

George, dude, you ARE my new God. :notworthy:

I've seen this live and in person and it still is mind boggling seeing these pics.

Griffworks 05-30-2009 10:14 AM

Oh Hell yeah! The pics look awesome, but still don't do this build justice, IMNSHO. You've got to see it In The Flesh to get the full effect.

Neb 05-30-2009 09:28 PM

6 Attachment(s)
Now to the tanks...This is the Starboard tank. After a primer coat, she got the Dayglo Orange first----interesting note that I obtained the actual Dayglo Orange used from Dayglo in Cleveland, Ohio---one of my customers we dealt with at work. (before i got laid off)
Then I painted with the new Eagle Talon Aluminum Acrylic Metallizer paint. This stuff works great---skins tight, and very real. Unfortunately, I had to seal with clear coat for decals and the finish suffered as a result. Meh--no matter as it still looks good. :p

panther96 05-30-2009 11:04 PM

beautiful work. Love the dayglo...

Neb 05-31-2009 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mech (Post 120035)
I could spend hours just talking to you about the finish on this, George.
You could teach me so much, for that matter, so could Marci. Her critter was awesome!

Damn you both...:D

You guys are only like...4 hours away....hmmmm

You're always welcome---as is anybody else that ever wants to drop in...;)

We're dying to meet the missus.....:-)

Neb 05-31-2009 05:40 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Time to install the lines---the "pre-drilled holes" on the sponsons were totally wrong. The lines all run parallel and the holes are evenly spaced fore and aft. Not even close.:mad:

Soooo....after I filled the holes, I taped the sponson in place, then I took a length of piano wire and dipped it in black paint (like a fountain pen), slid the wire carefully through the wire stand-offs until the piano just touched the sponson. It gave me 5 perfect little black dots and I knew where to re-drill.:p

It's RARE that I'm ever that inventive.....:cool:

Neb 05-31-2009 05:46 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Last piccies of the tanks....:)

Neb 05-31-2009 07:26 PM

5 Attachment(s)
On to the fuselage...

At 19" long, Special Hobby quartered it into forward upper/lower, and aft upper/lower sections. In other builds I had read that the guys were building fore/aft upper sections, then the fore/aft lower sections, and gluing upper/lower halves together. In every case the builder reported an issue with matching upper/lower panel lines.:confused:

Therefore, I did the opposite---glued aft upper/lower together while matching panel lines, and then after the cockpit was installed I glued forward upper lower together matching panel lines. That way the only mating line I needed to worry about was where front and rear halves met.:)

Also---if you sand out the inside of the mating surface of the forward fuselage and check fit often, you can glue front and rear together without any sanding or seam filling whatsoever....;)

Neb 06-01-2009 10:23 PM

No problem Jay---for the first time in a year and a half I finally get to contribute something around here.:)

Hope to have more pics tomorrow.;)