View Single Post
Old 12-25-2011, 05:37 PM
Oh my!

lakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati God
Default Re: Switching to acrylics - HEEEEELP!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 777 View Post
Dave, can I ask why you used enamels and why the switch? Is enamels for beginners / novices?
Trip,

I still like and use enamels as well (I LOVE Humbrol tins) but the main reason why I have switched to Acrylics as well is:

1) They seem to spray better through my Iwata airbrush

2) I seem to get a more evenly sprayed coat.....i.e. they are a bit more forgiving

3) For weathering. Now that I am hooked on oils as to my previous wash/weathering methods acrylics are just easier to deal with. You can use oils for wash/weathering over enamels but it's just more work to get them to look better. That's mostly because you have to shoot a clearcoat over each layer to protect it.

It's really just a matter of "to each their own" and deciding on what you like best. I am by no means an expert....I can only say how much I enjoy a certain technique until someone shows me or I learn a better way of doing something.

I'll also say this about that: George's little method of taping and clearcoating layers to protect them has given me a wonderful idea I want to try out next time I want to simulate a very thin layer of Klingon Armor. From his perspective it would be a bane to an aircraft however for me it may be EXACTLY what I want to achieve in a "layered" finish.

Shaka, when the walls fell.
His eyes opened!
The bubbles rose.