View Single Post
  #12  
Old 07-07-2018, 05:48 PM
Tiberious's Avatar
Tiberious Tiberious is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,098
Tiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant future
Default Re: 1/48 Seafire FR47

Sorry for the lapse in upates! I hit some snags on the build - and mayhem promptly ensued...

The first rocker cover went on fine, but then I noticed the other side was short shot. I thought I might have to fab a fix, but then I recalled that I have two of these kits, and I got the same part from the other one. Only to find that it too was short shot...



After a moment to think I decided to take the lower peice of the unused part from the other kit, switching it from one side to the other. The fasteners would be slightly out of position, but it would still look good.



I was good to go, taping it and clamping the piece on for the night to dry. Then lo and behold, the morn came and there was such an unsightly crease in the piece left from the clamp... Imagine the wails of grief.

Thus comes the first bad mistake. Instead of just fixing the part in situ, genius here decided to pull it off and replace it with the unused part from the other kit. Smart right? NO!

I had just used that part to fix the other short shot rocker cover!

That and the part was now and truly shot... Time to retreat to my fallback position. I had been hemming and hawing about using the Quickboost resin cowl that would eliminate the seam line as well as the need to putty and sand the join with the rocker covers.

Having a little more confidence in my cutting skills I went for it, sawing the kit cowl off along the seam lines and neatening it up. Then came the test fit...



You see that, right? According to the package it is meant for the Airfix kit. But it is too long and sits too high, and is too wide at the front...

Mother fracker...

It looks good though. Too bad I can't use it.

So this happened.




I just happen to have ordered a third kit, this time from the older molding and box art, with the decals for the bird with a red nose cone. That's why I bought it, for that red nose! But now I need its nose too!



Me however, I thought I could cut along the panel line so that the two separate kits could fit together, which they did for the most part. From a distance...



It does look good. Maybe a little too proud on one side a little rough along the seam. It required sanding, which was also then going to require seam and detail corrections.

It was at this point that I realized (actually before as well but I'll stick to realizing afterward) that I really should have just cut off the cowl from the new kit and replaced the old one. It would have been just like the resin drop-in and would have required far less remedial work.

Oh hells....

So out came the sanding sticks to even the parts, stopping every so often to run a needle around the hatches and such.




Once the edges were even and smooth, I copied the seam line from yet another kit onto scotch tape and then used dymo and a needle to replace the ones sanded off this kit.



A touch of black marker lets me see that it's looking good, but as you can see those fasteners are suffering.



Which means I need a tool to replace them. A fellow modeller on Britmodeller suggested a beading tool. As I don't have one of those, I decided to see if I could make my own.

So out came the metal round stock pile.



At the bottom of which I found this.




I ran the edge along a dremel sanding drum, cut a piece off and slipped that into a hand to get this.



A test fit against a now bad part showed it would work. The 'fastener' might be a little larger than the kit detail, but I can live with it!



This is a pic where the tool has been used. Not too bad. I went back and redid most of those, learning as I go. In the end I'm fine with it. Not ecstatic, but good. It was time to move on. Whew!

Being back on track, I redid the rocker covers, cutting them back to better copy the real look. The kit parts extend too far across the nose.



Those were glued onto the cowl and then taped down. And as they were drying, I went back to the wheel wells. In my internet searching, I found some better pics of the wheel wells and the kits are not that good on mimicking those.

Out came some styrene and round stock and some clippers to remove the imaginary bulkheads. A new wall was made diagonally from the gear seat to the well. Round stock was notched to fit around where the gear leg sits into the the kit's gear seat. Then thin styrene was used to recreate the ribs along the roof of the gear wells, stretched spru was used for hoses and a misc part for part of the gear retraction system. Since the wings will be fully extended, I was able to use the wing fold bulkheads as more detail inside the wing and as a light block should it be needed.



These were then hit with black and then sky, silver for the rotating cylinder that the gear rotates on and some light touched of panel line wash for stains.




And inside the wings.




Some last pics to see where the fuselage is. The black marker makes it look odd, but it's easier than painting to see if there is still some sanding to be done.





Still some touch ups needed, but it's getting there. And man do I wish that resin part had fit! It's too much work getting those rocker covers smoothed in!

Enough for now, good night!
__________________
My stuff. Some even completed!

http://thome216.imgur.com/

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z156/Thome216/
Reply With Quote