View Single Post
  #3  
Old 07-30-2019, 10:48 AM
Trekriffic's Avatar
Trekriffic Trekriffic is offline
One-trek Mind
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,563
Trekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati God
Default Re: Batmobile 1966 - Deluxe Edition

Bat Update...

After soaking in purple Super Clean for an hour all chrome plating was removed from the police beacon. Then I sprayed with black Krylon before applying a coat of Tamiya Bare Metal Silver from a rattle can. Interesting note regarding the sprue attachment points on the lower rim for this part. Removal from the sprue left two flat spots where the rim was partially destroyed. This turned out to be by design I think because the two pins on the bottom are keyed to attach only one way to the mating holes in the arch. The flat spots lined up with the sides of the two horns that I am now about to attach. So the flat spots where the spruce attached allow clearance for a tight fit with the horns, the keyed pins tell me this was the intent of the model designers:


Batmobile 1966 WIP - Beacon Dechromed by trekriffic, on Flickr

The kit gives you two options for antenna bases - round or teardrop shaped. I painted them with Testors steel.
I may overpaint with Testors chrome... have to decide on that:


Batmobile 1966 WIP - Rear Antenna Bases by trekriffic, on Flickr

The kit provides you with a short metal rod in its own bag for use with either of the antenna bases:


Batmobile 1966 WIP - Antenna by trekriffic, on Flickr

More modifications...

The center arch pillar was too tall and had to be cut down to allow the chassis to mate flush with the bottom of the car body:


Batmobile 1966 WIP - Mods to Rear Deck Pillar by trekriffic, on Flickr

The rear canopy broke free from the "canopy" glue in the upper body frame after numerous failed attempts to get the chassis to slide flush into the body. It was then I decided to break the rear cockpit wall and deck free from the side door panels in the chassis and glue the deck inside the body instead using epoxy. You can also see the open slot meant to allow the "under the canopy" arch to pass thru and attach to the underside of the body. Since I am using the "over the canopy" arch I was left with an open gap:


Batmobile 1966 WIP - Rear Deck from Underneath by trekriffic, on Flickr

To cover the gap I made a cover of styrene and photo-etch brass screen. The idea is this is a subwoofer Robin installed somewhat to Batman’s chagrin:


Batmobile 1966 - WIP - Rear Slot Cover by trekriffic, on Flickr

The photo-etch "subwoofer" screen was painted with Testors semi-gloss black. After drying I glued it into the unused slot in the underside of the rear deck using epoxy. Later it would get a coat of Liquitex matte varnish:


Batmobile 1966 WIP - PE Screen Painted by trekriffic, on Flickr

Just to reiterate, with the rear deck and center console glued to the back of the chassis passenger compartment the deck would not slide flush into the grooves under the rear canopy which left visibly large gaps between the deck and the canopy. To solve this problem I broke the deck free from the chassis (I had used CA so it broke free fairly easily compared to styrene cement) and glued the deck into the grooves in the inside of the body using epoxy. This eliminated the gaps. The rear wall and console could then be slid behind and between the car seats during assembly of the body and chassis:


Batmobile 1966 WIP - Rear Deck After Rework by trekriffic, on Flickr

Check out the major center console gap. I knew this was coming when I had to alter my plan of attack for attaching the rear deck behind the seats. Will have to lay some sheet styrene over the frame at the base of the console to cover the gap:


Batmobile 1966 WIP - Major Console Gap by trekriffic, on Flickr

I had decided to protect the lower edges of the body with masking tape before gluing the edges of the chassis to the body. I'm glad I did considering how many times I had to pry the chassis and body apart trying to get them to fit properly:


Batmobile 1966 WIP - Masking by trekriffic, on Flickr
__________________

"I'm afraid the guilty party is in for a very severe punishment."
Reply With Quote