View Single Post
  #21  
Old 12-30-2012, 01:47 PM
PakRatJR's Avatar
PakRatJR PakRatJR is offline
JAFO
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Wherever I am needed
Posts: 1,096
PakRatJR Overlord Master of AllPakRatJR Overlord Master of AllPakRatJR Overlord Master of AllPakRatJR Overlord Master of AllPakRatJR Overlord Master of AllPakRatJR Overlord Master of AllPakRatJR Overlord Master of AllPakRatJR Overlord Master of AllPakRatJR Overlord Master of AllPakRatJR Overlord Master of AllPakRatJR Overlord Master of All
Default Re: 1/25 Peterbilt "can do" wrecker

Of repair, destruction and a small bit of dispair......

Got some time to play with this again.

After the decal debacle I spent a bit of time deciding what to do to fix things. I finally decided to continue with the white and red stripes. The plan was easy enough, tape things and paint the stripes.

First thing first tho, fix the broke door and adjust things for the correct fit of the outriggers.

The offending areas




As you can see, things are a bit off.
After about a half hours worth of cutting, sanding and fitting, proper clearance has been achieved. Altho barely on one side. Note the repaired door




Copy and paste for the other side. Easy peasy

For the door repair, a bit of hacking up of things for proper clearance for the new brass hinge pin, and a fair bit of CA to hold things in place, and broke door is now repaired.







And being that the other door decided to jump ship about five minutes after fixing the first one.........copy and paste the repair on that side also.

And now for the destruction and bit of despair part.....

Had to do a small bit of disassembly of things to make it easier to tape and paint the stripes. Easy enough.
The problem started after I got the first coat of paint on things. I don't know what happened, but things didn't work....at all . Never even got to the actual striping bit.

I ended up having to completely strip the thing, which ended up with more destruction of things, including the de-chroming of the two biggest chrome pieces in the kit.









I still have a small bit of cleanup to do, but on the plus side...sort of....I came up with a new paint idea.

I have decided to go with black white and red, along the lines of the "Dons Towing" wrecker kit. The previously chrome deck will now be completely red with a small bit of chrome, the rotator unit will remain white, and the body and cab will be black and white with a possible red stripe.

That's all I got for now.
__________________
Ummm....yup, sure...ummm
Reply With Quote