View Single Post
  #18  
Old 01-05-2012, 07:40 AM
The Cat's Avatar
The Cat The Cat is offline
It's gonna get real now.
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bound for Starbase Atlanta
Posts: 18,405
The Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati God
Default Re: SCHARNHORST - 1/350, by Dragon

Hell yes I'm anal. Most all of the rest of you are too, and in our hobby, that's a GOOD thing!


Pics...



Again, this kit ain't perfect. Two areas require surgery. First was the bow, second is what I've been referring to as the Motherfucking Millimeter.

The main deck is in two pieces - front and back. I'll refrain from using proper terminology such as Fore and Aft so Alpha-heads like Eagle-1 here can better understand what's going on.

Parts fit on Dragon kits is TIGHT, and this one's no different. The deck has the right camber to it, and the locations for components like turrets and superstructures arefor lack of a better term, sunken-in a bit. The fit is so precise that A and C turrets practically snap into place.

This is great, if everything fits perfectly, but if they don't, it's a bitch.

There is about a millimeter of material missing between the front and rear deck halves.

You can see the gap in the pic. I found out that there was no way to actually get them to join. The problem is, the front deck has a very definite location because of the way the anchor area is made.
The rear deck COULD be slid forward to join up with the back of the front piece, but then there'd be a gap at the back of the ship. That *could* be filled in with putty - I've seen guys do that, but it wouldn't work in this case. Also, the wood deck fits the plastic piece PERFECTLY over the details on the pieces, and the discrepancy in positioning would be VERY noticeable.

The only option is surgery.

Pic. Note the Gap:



(Deck wood laid out in place)

What I had to do was cut kit pieces K52 and K53 (white arrows) in half and glue them in place on the deck, but not Part K27 as indicated. The Missing Millimeter has to be made up somewhere, you know.... so I cut out the flat areas that touch the hull and replaced them with sheet plastic. (Red Arrows) That area needs to be puttied in anyway to look right.

Now, the deck section, K27, won't fit properly. Time to whip out the Dremel and remove enough plastic so it'll sit properly (green arrows). I had to remove the front of parts K52 and K53, because they'll need to be angled in just a little to look right.


Gun turrets, almost ready for paint. Love that brass!



Working on the Bridge Wings. The real ship had canvased rails. I'm trying to duplicate that with bare metal foil:

__________________
Current assignment:
U.S.S. Miranda NCC-1833

Last edited by The Cat; 01-05-2012 at 08:17 AM.
Reply With Quote