View Single Post
Old 01-05-2012, 10:06 AM
It's gonna get real now.

The Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati God
Default Re: SCHARNHORST - 1/350, by Dragon

No - nothing at all had to be cut off. In fact, when you're laying down sections of the deck, the molded-on details make handy locators.

That isn't true for ALL of KA's decks - their decks for the old Tamiya KGV, POW, Bismarck, and Tirpitz kits have you remove certain things like molded-on cable reels, but KA provides replacements. These are fugly things that need replacement anyway.

Other decks are just like you say - they have you remove and replace LOT of molded-on detail before you can attach the wood. That would be a major PITA.

KA has spoiled me to the point that I'm not even going to try any other manufacturer's decks, their precision is THAT good.

Which reminds me of a point. Most of this kit's deck details are separate parts, maybe to facilitate painting. The biggest worry I had in installing the deck was the stern half - it is by far the biggest piece in the set and the easiest to misalign. If that happens, it's garbage. Sooo - I went ahead and glued on several of the kit's deck details, such as parts M12, M5, and N64. They made the task of aligning the deck much easier when it came time to stick it down. I practiced several times before removing the backing sheet, too.