View Single Post
Old 01-29-2015, 10:37 AM

ego1138 is a name known to allego1138 is a name known to allego1138 is a name known to allego1138 is a name known to allego1138 is a name known to allego1138 is a name known to allego1138 is a name known to allego1138 is a name known to allego1138 is a name known to allego1138 is a name known to allego1138 is a name known to all
Default Re: 1/72 Space Shuttle - With Accurate Tiles

Small update.

My cutting tests have been going well. I think I've found about the threshold for how deep I can cut, without cutting through the styrene sheet. The 0.010" sheet is thin enough that it really wraps nicely around the shuttle too.

I'm anticipating that the underside will comprise around 8 pieces (including seperate pieces for the gear doors, etc).

Just about finished the tile layout file for the underside of the orbiter, so, thought I'd share a picture of how that's coming along. Just the very rear left to be sized to the monogram shuttle.

Only thing I'm not liking is that with this being a cutting machine, it does leave the little ridges on either side of the engraved line, as opposed to using like a scriber. A light sanding helps a bit on that though.

Next steps:
1. once the underside layout is complete, create my sheets and glue them on.
2. Do the tops and sides of the nose area and under the cockpit windows, and glue them on.
3. That will leave an empty strip with no tiles for the transition between the underside, and the sides of the orbiter. Because of the rather complex curves in this area, will have to go back and map out the "void", and then map the tiles out in there. So this will be the area where perhaps some of the accuracy is lost, but, from my initial calculations, it shouldn't be TOO far off. I'm banking on about 6 "rows" of tiles being the height of this void, which seems to match up to the reference pics and blueprints I have.

Been a lot of hours invested in this so far (not to mention buying the cutting machine), but, with it mostly being spent on design software, it somehow seems to be a lot less tedious than spending those same hours glueing individual rows of tiles down.

The upside of course though, is at the end, this will all be able to be reproduced ad nauseum with 100% accuracy. (and hopefully scaled relatively easily to other scales and manufacturers)

(I'd like to even see what kind of results I get on this at 1/144 - but I have a feeling that might be pushing it)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg underside wip.jpg (819.4 KB, 91 views)