View Single Post
Old 12-04-2014, 11:23 AM
"Spock, pull my finger"

Starfighter Jock will become famous soon enoughStarfighter Jock will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Academy 1/48 F-4C Phantom

Some progress on the kit, starting to dry-fit the Aries resin cockpit into the Academy kit. The Aries instructions claim that some trimming of the kit is required to fit the set, which is an understatement of major proportions! I have already removed all the kit molded railings and have be working the thickness of the interior fuselage sides down with the Dremel and a sphere shaped cutting bit. I have the cockpit set rough fitted and now I am going to have to paint and final assemble the cockpit so that I can do the final fitting into the fuselage. Something already tells me that I will be building out the cockpit deck railings with styrene strips as I just can't see any other way of doing it, not an easy drop in replacement set at all, but the detail on the Aries set is first class so hope all this extra time and work turns out to be worth it.

I have also completed the building of the AIM-7's & 9's along with drop tanks and inner pylons, and have applied a coat of primer to them. I was not really happen with the kit's AIM-7's & 9's so I took advantage of some Cyber-Monday shopping sales and picked up a set of the Eduard 1/48 resin and photo-etch AIM-7E / AIM-9B missles, so I will now be re-building all those. Should have the cockpit painted and installed along with the resin nose wheel bay on the next round, then on to the wing assembly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0072.JPG (1.50 MB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0073.JPG (1.56 MB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0074.JPG (1.72 MB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0075.JPG (1.73 MB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg edusin64804.jpg (51.9 KB, 19 views)