View Single Post
Old 01-04-2016, 05:01 AM
All ahead full

AdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud of
Default Re: 1:350 TOS Light Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kremin View Post
so we've seen the moulding process, how did you hollow cast it?
Although I couldn't take photos of the casting process, I described it here earlier:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralBuck View Post
After the mold cured completely, the walls were removed again, rubber carefully pried apart and master removed. To cast, a mixture of SmoothCast 300 resin was poured into one half of the mold. The other half was quickly placed over the first and rubber banded together as I rotated the mold by hand in all directions as the resin cured. This resin cures in about 4-6 minutes so you have to work pretty fast. The first casting came out pretty good but the bulk of resin had settled too much towards the top and the skin thickness was too thin along the sides. Adding a little more resin to the second casting and concentrating the rotation to the hull sides insured a much more even Lucky #2 cast.
Essentially I rotocasted the mold by turning it 360 degrees - by hand - in all directions as the resin cured to the walls of the mold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kremin View Post
Oh and any news on when you are getting your Nacelles?
Yes, I have heard that the nacelles should be printed this week!