View Single Post
Old 01-10-2016, 07:07 AM
All ahead full

AdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud of
Default Re: 1:350 TOS Light Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCI-FI View Post
I'm continually stunned by the "engineering artistry" in this project.
Will this be pressure-cast? (The tiny pins suggest to me that may be a helpful technique...)
Thanks! No, I don't have the ability to pressure cast the nacelle parts from the masters. These will most likely be two-part molds or I may simply slush-roto-cast the nacelle itself (minus the caps).

Speaking of propulsion, the next system undergoing engineering is the impulse engines. Originally, I was staying with the plans as drawn out months ago and mocked up a few foam prototypes to finalize, clean up and quickly cast. However, something had been bugging me about its placement so close to the secondary hull that I started sketching out some other solutions. I carved another prototype which I liked in some ways but still did not flow. It felt 'planted-on' and not integrated with the primary.

Next, I decided to incise the aft section of the primary and inset the impulse into the hull. Now, this idea is used on many Trek ships from the NX-01 to the Ent-D. Should it exist in a TOS-TMP era? I think I can TOS-ify a design. I sketched up a top view and a quick 3D garbage model to explore the ideas:

Last edited by AdmiralBuck; 08-14-2017 at 09:09 AM.