View Single Post
Old 05-07-2008, 03:57 PM
By Your Command

GoldCylon is a jewel in the roughGoldCylon is a jewel in the roughGoldCylon is a jewel in the roughGoldCylon is a jewel in the roughGoldCylon is a jewel in the roughGoldCylon is a jewel in the roughGoldCylon is a jewel in the rough

Ok I made the mold for the helmet, and this being my first major mold. I have made a couple of small simple things in the past. Let me say SMALL like 3-4 oz in size, while this is like moving from a tricycle into the Indy 500 type of jump, so with that said here in my first casting of the helmet. It is an extreme mix of materials ranging from 2 part resin, Bondo, Fiber glass, and fix of those combined chemicals. Yes I mixed Bondo, and fiber glass, and tried every variation I could think of, and also just a straight mix of the chemicals into the mold. I was trying for a liquid slush flow to fill in the entire mold. Since my hard cast on the outside of the silicon mold didn't come out correct I used two separate casting, and supported the mold via part of the hard outside shell, and expanding foam. I am pleased how that worked out, most of the mold stayed true to form. A minor area not really visible in the photo didn't have the best results, but 30 minutes of clean up, and Bondo will fix it.