View Single Post
  #1  
Old 08-19-2019, 06:07 PM
Tiberious's Avatar
Tiberious Tiberious is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,250
Tiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant future
Default 1/48 Supermarine S6B

This is the Testors kit, reboxed in '91 from an older manufacturer. I started it about two years ago for the a group build on Britmodeller. Didn't finish it then and so it's sat for a while.

Now, there's another floatplane GB starting up in a few weeks, so I thought I'd finally clear this one off the dusty shelf. Kind of get myself primed.

Box art


First bit to do was get rid of the raised cheat-lines on the sides from where the numeral 7 are to be placed. As well as fill in the depressions in the tail for the tail-codes. They were filled in with CA.




All sanded and the lines re-engraved.



Then for the cowl. First I wanted to open up the exhaust ports, and while looking at some pics of the actual plane, I decided to open up the vents on the sides.



Of course, what looked like open ports in the pic were, from another angle, round vent covers... Oops. So now I had three gaping holes to fill in each one.



I found a solution though, in the shape of sprue and heat. I heated up the end and pressed it through the hole. Ended up with a nice little dome.



One thing this also showed was that there were too few 'vents' on the kit, as there should be six per cowl. Three on the sides and three on top.
And also, the ones on the kit were facing the wrong direction!! So, it gave me a chance to fix that.
Once the new vents were formed, I cut them in half and fitted them in.

Looks a little messy, as the heat does tend to warp plastic, but that can be sanded out.




What didn't turn out so well were the exhaust ports. Too many ended up out of shape, so the whole things were cut and replaced with styrene.




Here's one being sanded to shape, next to a resin Spitfire seat that's going to replace the ledge in the cockpit that's the kit's interpretation of one.



Then I decided to put some pipes inside, so I grabbed some round stock, opened it up a little, cut and paired them together.




Looks dang messy from the inside, but nice from the outside!





The pipes were a little too deep though. Rather than cut them down, as they are pretty fragile, I cut into the fuselage side for clearance.



Once those were done, I glued them to the sides first. That way I only have to deal with the fuselage seam once the halves are together.






With those in place, I moved to the cockpit. As supplied it is pretty bare. No IP, a ledge for a seat and no floor. Also, I don't recall if it came with a control stick.

Started with the framing on the sides, then the floor and bulkheads.





I cut down the Spitfire seat and made a new butt for it with sytrene.



There is a ledge just at the front of the cockpit opening and this was formed from curved plastic and card, then glued in place and trimmed.





Then it was onto the instrument panel. I bought some bezels from Airscale.




Then built that up. Not perfect, but it and the one on the floor look pretty good in there.





I also put the floats together, weighting them with Plumber's Putty.
Currently cleaning them up, as they had some sink holes and rough edges. I'll need to re-engrave some panel lines.



I'm painting up the cockpit now, so I hope to have the fuselage closed up tomorrow. After that, it's all the other fit issues...

More to come. Model on!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dg5v9CS.jpg (245.2 KB, 2 views)
__________________
My stuff. Some even completed!

http://thome216.imgur.com/

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z156/Thome216/

Last edited by Tiberious; 08-19-2019 at 06:27 PM.
Reply With Quote