View Single Post
Old 11-24-2015, 08:15 AM
Humble Aspirant

SCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to all
Default Re: 1:350 TOS Light Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralBuck View Post
Thanks everyone!!

1) Another happy accident! The original concept depicted a split impulse like this on either side of the blended hull. There were no details but I felt the need to carve grooves/vanes into it. Because, you know, it makes it look like it goes faster. I may try a couple of other variations of things so it doesn't look like I'm deliberately lifting ideas from other ships.

2) Yes! I love the Archer class nacelles and that's where I stole that idea from too.
References/homages to previous designs are a tried-and-true technique in the Trek universe. (If I recall correctly, the NX-01 impulse engines were influenced by those used on the Enterprise-D... Sentinel would not be out of place using such a design...)

I like the "cross-pollination" idea of similar designs across similar era ships, too, re Sentinel and Sagittarius. This would make Sentinel's engines, what, triple the length of the Archer's? My humble 2c here would be to add some inboard design elements (where the nacelles face each other), a recess or channel, with an intercooler pipe, or similar elements from the TOS Enterprise. For added visual appeal, I'd paint it steel (an additional homage to the NX, and also the Axanar Ares), and possibly leave enough of a gap between the steel elements and the body of the nacelle to allow a thin blue glow to escape.

Update: took awhile for me to remember where I saw the "TOS nacelle with metal greeblies and blue glow," but I remembered: it was Nicholas Sagan's awesome Bonaventure buildup: https://starshipmodeler.biz/shop/ind...s-cruiser.html

Ok, I'll stop my "Monday morning Yard Engineering"...
Best-

Last edited by SCI-FI; 11-24-2015 at 11:06 AM.