View Single Post
Old 01-10-2016, 08:07 AM
No longer active

AdmiralBuck has a brilliant futureAdmiralBuck has a brilliant futureAdmiralBuck has a brilliant futureAdmiralBuck has a brilliant futureAdmiralBuck has a brilliant futureAdmiralBuck has a brilliant futureAdmiralBuck has a brilliant futureAdmiralBuck has a brilliant futureAdmiralBuck has a brilliant futureAdmiralBuck has a brilliant futureAdmiralBuck has a brilliant future
Default Re: 1:350 TOS Light Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCI-FI View Post
I'm continually stunned by the "engineering artistry" in this project.
Will this be pressure-cast? (The tiny pins suggest to me that may be a helpful technique...)
Thanks! No, I don't have the ability to pressure cast the nacelle parts from the masters. These will most likely be two-part molds or I may simply slush-roto-cast the nacelle itself (minus the caps).

Speaking of propulsion, the next system undergoing engineering is the impulse engines. Originally, I was staying with the plans as drawn out months ago and mocked up a few foam prototypes to finalize, clean up and quickly cast. However, something had been bugging me about its placement so close to the secondary hull that I started sketching out some other solutions. I carved another prototype which I liked in some ways but still did not flow. It felt 'planted-on' and not integrated with the primary.

Next, I decided to incise the aft section of the primary and inset the impulse into the hull. Now, this idea is used on many Trek ships from the NX-01 to the Ent-D. Should it exist in a TOS-TMP era? I think I can TOS-ify a design. I sketched up a top view and a quick 3D garbage model to explore the ideas:

Last edited by AdmiralBuck; 08-14-2017 at 10:09 AM.