View Single Post
Old 03-02-2016, 06:05 PM
Humble Aspirant

SCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to all
Default Re: 1:350 TOS Light Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralBuck View Post
Lou from Aztec Dummy did a wonderful job in creating this set of custom vinyl masks for the registry and pennants which arrived yesterday. It occurred to me when I received them that I forgot about creating art for the other geometric symbols on the hull, namely the ones on the bottom of the secondary. Since this is a late-TOS era ship, maybe these symbols are obsolete as they were no longer seen by TMP. Maybe they are Constitution-Class-only markings. What are they anyway? They wouldn't fit at their current scale anyway - unless I resized or did something similar, but different.
[...]
I always thought they were docking/reloading/hatch reticles-- visual indicators to a repair or reload crew at a starbase, planning on a quick reload. Ship comes in, stevedores watch the colored square or circle move into place, activate clamps, then load/offload things through hatches on the hull which are known (geometrically) to be in perfect position with corresponding hatches and gangways on the starbase.
Imagine a tour on a starbase, with a ship freshly docked: "That circular marking indicates a hatch through which we offload 25 empty deuterium tanks in 6 minutes flat, and reload full tanks just as quick. And now, over on the left, you'll see the gift shop..."

Me? I'd TOTALLY AND COMPLETELY have markings like that on the base of my model. Same, or at least similar -- even if TMP didn't have them, this ship clearly evokes TOS, and the graphics would underscore that...

Ooo, it's like a game of "I Spy" for Trek modeling nerds. I'm in:

1) The paper admiral Macready makes his return.
2) gorgeous boudoir ladies overseeing the project?
3) "3mm orange..." resistors? By the bagful?
4) Errant shuttle parked near a disembodied shuttle bay, and deflector...
5) Abandoned lower-saucer attempt? (Far left side of photo)
6) Mego/Barbie scale "Admiral Buck" action figure in the command chair...
7) Vinyl stencils FTW! (A technique I am hoping to try someday...)
8) A packet of Photoetch
9) a hidden 1/1000 Eagle- dangit, Hood, behind the paper Admiral...
10) A ball of twine for the Admiral's cat...?

Awesome work. I even love the saucer hatches...