Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > The Oratory > Model Talk

Model Talk General Modeling Discussions

Old 01-29-2012, 10:05 PM
Shit got real.

HWR MKII Resin Illuminati GodHWR MKII Resin Illuminati GodHWR MKII Resin Illuminati GodHWR MKII Resin Illuminati GodHWR MKII Resin Illuminati GodHWR MKII Resin Illuminati GodHWR MKII Resin Illuminati GodHWR MKII Resin Illuminati GodHWR MKII Resin Illuminati GodHWR MKII Resin Illuminati GodHWR MKII Resin Illuminati God
Default Re: Switching to acrylics - HEEEEELP!!!!

Like i said they are OK by brush. Not so good on airbrush. at least not fine tip ones. Maybe a broader tip but not fine.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:32 PM

Lord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati GodLord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati GodLord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati GodLord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati GodLord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati GodLord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati GodLord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati GodLord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati GodLord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati GodLord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati GodLord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati God

Guys, this month's issue of FSM has an article on using craft paints. Most of the tips would probably work well with hobby branded paints, too.

Edit: It was last month's issue. Nothing earth shattering, but, good suggestions as to how to get them to work.

Please consider making a donation to Shriner's Hospitals For Children.

Last edited by Lord Darth Beavis; 01-30-2012 at 10:45 PM.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:35 AM
It's gonna get real now.

The Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati God

I saw that - they were talking about straining/filtering the paint. That might help.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:28 PM

Lord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati GodLord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati GodLord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati GodLord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati GodLord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati GodLord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati GodLord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati GodLord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati GodLord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati GodLord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati GodLord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati God

I think the suggestions on flow agent, dish soap, and hardener may be part of the key, too.

Please consider making a donation to Shriner's Hospitals For Children.
Old 02-01-2012, 06:34 AM
It's gonna get real now.

The Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Darth Beavis View Post
I think the suggestions on flow agent, dish soap, and hardener may be part of the key, too.
My question is, if you're going to all that trouble, time, and expense, why not spring for the GOOD stuff?
Old 02-01-2012, 08:45 PM
My ass is itchy...

Neb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati God

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cat View Post
My question is, if you're going to all that trouble, time, and expense, why not spring for the GOOD stuff?
There ya go....

Now----here is something else important to remember--- the reason why I always use the mfg's thinner with their own product is simple, especially if you use Tamiya---their thinner is specifically made for their paint. I've sprayed Tamiya using alcohol, and using their thinner and the difference is night and day in the end finish.

Use Tamiya thinner and you have typical Tamiya results---super tight, skin-like, silky smooth finish that hugs every detail.

Use alcohol---mix it in any ratio and use any pressure you want and the finish is "pebbly" and sometimes even grainy. It still skins tight, but there is an absolute difference in finish. Tamiya's thinner has a specific retarding agent that allows their paint (flakes if you will) settle down and adhere to the surface interlocked. Alcohol evaporates quicker, not allowing the paint to settle down and "lay flat" on the surface.

I have a 250ml bottle of Tamiya thinner sitting here that I paid $6.00 for and I've been using it for 3 years---I still have a little less than half a bottle left. It's not worth sacrificing what is usually an expensive model, or creating a lot of extra work for myself over thirty cents worth of thinner.

I always match the thinner to the mfg---but again, that's just my way.

Superior products yield superior results---I know guys that'll spend hundreds of dollars on aftermarket parts for their "ultimate kit", and then dick around with the finishing materials on the cheap. If the build is that important, I don't understand why anyone would do that.

Now, even if I WERE to attend, y'all better keep them costume wearing types away from me. I don't like you model people. How I ever got hooked up with you geeks, I'll never know. I lived all this time, just to end up spending my days with fucking "Skill Level 3" and "Ages 8 and up".
--Eagle-1, the funniest bastard on Earth!
Old 02-01-2012, 09:24 PM
It's gonna get real now.

You're right 100%. There *is* something extra in the Tamiya thinner - butanol. Before long, I should be able to figure out the ratio of it to the isopropyl which is Tamiya's main ingredient. (I work in a chem lab, and $4 per 30ml bottle is pissing me off)

This acrylic endeavor is working out even better than I had hoped!
Old 02-01-2012, 09:31 PM
My ass is itchy...

Neb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati God

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cat View Post
You're right 100%. There *is* something extra in the Tamiya thinner - butanol. Before long, I should be able to figure out the ratio of it to the isopropyl which is Tamiya's main ingredient. (I work in a chem lab, and $4 per 30ml bottle is pissing me off)

This acrylic endeavor is working out even better than I had hoped!
Butanol?

I woulda never guessed. Cool stuff.....

Now, even if I WERE to attend, y'all better keep them costume wearing types away from me. I don't like you model people. How I ever got hooked up with you geeks, I'll never know. I lived all this time, just to end up spending my days with fucking "Skill Level 3" and "Ages 8 and up".
Old 02-16-2012, 07:43 PM
My ass is itchy...

If anyone is interested---here's a great website I check out all the time. Superior tutorials on weathering.

Superior.

Sure, it's armor, but as we all know---these techniques apply to anything.

Here's one of my favorites:

http://scratchmod.com/Ko_ed__Jagdtiger.php

While you're there, check out the JSU-152 build...

Old 02-16-2012, 08:03 PM
My ass is itchy...

BTW----here's the forums this fella runs. I've linked directly to a thread where one of their more "creative" modelers did an F-16....

in Natural Metal!

http://modelerssocialclub.proboards....lay&thread=458

The coolest fucking airplane build I've seen in a while.

Enjoy!

Old 02-16-2012, 09:02 PM
Model Psycho

Damien9479 Overlord Master of AllDamien9479 Overlord Master of AllDamien9479 Overlord Master of AllDamien9479 Overlord Master of AllDamien9479 Overlord Master of AllDamien9479 Overlord Master of AllDamien9479 Overlord Master of AllDamien9479 Overlord Master of AllDamien9479 Overlord Master of AllDamien9479 Overlord Master of AllDamien9479 Overlord Master of All

Those are definitely going bookmarked
Thanks for the links Neb!
I need all the tutorials I can get for weathering cuz I really suck at it !
Old 02-16-2012, 09:15 PM
Oh my!

lakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neb View Post
Butanol?

I woulda never guessed. Cool stuff.....
What do you use to clean your airbrush after spraying Tamiya? I've noticed that regular thinner doesn't clean like the X-20 thinner does....but I'd rather not spend that much on cleaning each time if I can help it.

Shaka, when the walls fell.
His eyes opened!
The bubbles rose.

Old 02-16-2012, 10:12 PM
My ass is itchy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakespeed View Post
What do you use to clean your airbrush after spraying Tamiya? I've noticed that regular thinner doesn't clean like the X-20 thinner does....but I'd rather not spend that much on cleaning each time if I can help it.
I'll wipe out the cup with my index finger wrapped in paper towel, then fill up the cup about halfway with X20 and spray it through. Then----and here's the part nobody is gonna like---I do a quick tear-down and clean with q-tips dipped in X20.

It's a $250 airbrush---I treat it like one.....

Old 02-16-2012, 10:14 PM
My ass is itchy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien9479 View Post
Those are definitely going bookmarked
Thanks for the links Neb!
I need all the tutorials I can get for weathering cuz I really suck at it !
You're welcome.

I'm getting better at weathering--- and a lot I've learned lately has come from those links. Very humbling......

Old 02-17-2012, 05:30 PM
Oh my!

lakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neb View Post
I'll wipe out the cup with my index finger wrapped in paper towel, then fill up the cup about halfway with X20 and spray it through. Then----and here's the part nobody is gonna like---I do a quick tear-down and clean with q-tips dipped in X20.

It's a $250 airbrush---I treat it like one.....
Well poo....normally I clean the cup out, shoot some thinner through it and then pull the nose crown off and make sure the needle front is clean. I'd hate to have to pull the Iwata apart each time as it can be a PITA to get the trigger back in correctly.

Shaka, when the walls fell.
His eyes opened!
The bubbles rose.