Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > The Oratory > Model Talk

Model Talk General Modeling Discussions

Old 02-17-2012, 04:57 PM
My ass is itchy...

Neb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati God
Default Re: Switching to acrylics - HEEEEELP!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakespeed View Post
Well poo....normally I clean the cup out, shoot some thinner through it and then pull the nose crown off and make sure the needle front is clean. I'd hate to have to pull the Iwata apart each time as it can be a PITA to get the trigger back in correctly.
That's one of the reasons I bought a Grex....

Seriously----if I've got more painting to do that's all I do as well. If she's gonna sit more than a day though I tear it down.

Now, even if I WERE to attend, y'all better keep them costume wearing types away from me. I don't like you model people. How I ever got hooked up with you geeks, I'll never know. I lived all this time, just to end up spending my days with fucking "Skill Level 3" and "Ages 8 and up".
--Eagle-1, the funniest bastard on Earth!
Old 02-19-2012, 08:52 PM

Lord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati GodLord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati GodLord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati GodLord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati GodLord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati GodLord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati GodLord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati GodLord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati GodLord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati GodLord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati GodLord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati God

Anybody know if the GREX guys will be at WF this year? I think I need me one of those bad boys!

Please consider making a donation to Shriner's Hospitals For Children.
Old 02-20-2012, 12:57 AM
Don't drink the resin!

dasphule has a reputation beyond reputedasphule has a reputation beyond reputedasphule has a reputation beyond reputedasphule has a reputation beyond reputedasphule has a reputation beyond reputedasphule has a reputation beyond reputedasphule has a reputation beyond reputedasphule has a reputation beyond reputedasphule has a reputation beyond reputedasphule has a reputation beyond reputedasphule has a reputation beyond repute

I've been thinning Tamiyas with lacquer thinner and it's, at least IMHO, WAY better than using their thinner. It dries faster, lays down better, and sorta etches into the plastic better. Tamiyas kinda just form a crust on plastic, but using the lacquer thinner they act more like lacquers and actually sorta bond with the plastic. I also use it to clean the airbrush with when I'm done. Makes it a much quicker process.

Erin
<*>
Old 02-20-2012, 10:34 AM
Oh my!

lakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati God

I'll have to try that next time I shoot. Thanks!

Shaka, when the walls fell.
His eyes opened!
The bubbles rose.

Old 02-20-2012, 10:50 AM
It's gonna get real now.

The Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati God

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasphule View Post
I've been thinning Tamiyas with lacquer thinner and it's, at least IMHO, WAY better than using their thinner. It dries faster, lays down better, and sorta etches into the plastic better. Tamiyas kinda just form a crust on plastic, but using the lacquer thinner they act more like lacquers and actually sorta bond with the plastic. I also use it to clean the airbrush with when I'm done. Makes it a much quicker process.

Erin
<*>
What kind of mixing ratios are you using?
Old 02-20-2012, 11:14 AM
Don't drink the resin!

dasphule has a reputation beyond reputedasphule has a reputation beyond reputedasphule has a reputation beyond reputedasphule has a reputation beyond reputedasphule has a reputation beyond reputedasphule has a reputation beyond reputedasphule has a reputation beyond reputedasphule has a reputation beyond reputedasphule has a reputation beyond reputedasphule has a reputation beyond reputedasphule has a reputation beyond repute

HA! Hell, I dunno! Mix em till it looks right? LOL! Uh, well, I guess on average I'd say 2/3 paint 1/3 thinner, leaning more towards more paint than thinner. I judge my mix for airbrushing with all paints by adding thinner, mixing it up, then dipping into the mix and letting it run down the inside of the container. If I can see through it or the color just runs right back into the container without coating the sides, it's too thin. I mix on the heavier side so this is rarely a problem, and going heavy with the paint makes it easier to fix when it's not right. Adding thinner is cheaper than adding paint!

Erin
<*>
Old 02-20-2012, 11:18 AM
It's gonna get real now.

The Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati God

Are there any types of primer that object to this particular combo?
Old 02-20-2012, 11:50 AM
Don't drink the resin!

I haven't noticed any problems with it. I just sprayed over Tamiya and Gunze primers with it this week and had zero problems. I guess if you flooded the paint on it might cause problems, but if you do that you're doing it wrong in the first place. It dries really fast, so multiple coats are easy. I spray a little color, then hit it with just air to surface dry it, then apply more paint. Repeat until covered to your liking. Let it sit an hour and you can mask over it, let it sit overnight and you can handle it to your heart's content. If you flood it on you WILL get bleed under with masked areas, though. Go slow and with multiple thin coats and you shouldn't have any problems.

The only annoyance I've encountered doing this mix is that I use these little disposable plastic communion cups to mix in and the lacquer thinner makes it soft and eventually eats through it if left in them. Usually not a problem as I dump it directly into the color cup on the airbrush right after mixing. The mix also makes Tamiya paints stain your skin better. Instead of just washing off, you will have to scrub them out of your fingerprints with a brush if you get them on you.

Erin
<*>
Old 02-20-2012, 11:59 AM
It's gonna get real now.

VERY fucking interesting. I know what you mean about the 'crust' effect that Tamiya paint has... it isn't the most durable of paints like that. I'm going to be painting a 1/350 destroyer in a few weeks and it's going to need a shit ton of masking and I've been worried about how the standard Tamiya paint would hold up.

I just checked the MSDS of lacquer thinner and it has butyl alcohol in it - the same stuff that's in Tamiya's standard thinner that makes it spray so nicely.

THANKS, BTW!

Last edited by The Cat; 02-20-2012 at 11:59 AM.
Old 02-20-2012, 12:14 PM
Don't drink the resin!

Yeah, lacquer thinner is essentially a mix of all the nasty thinners in one jug. Not many paints it won't thin. Might not get the results you were looking for with some brands, but it WILL thin them and it'll take damn near anything out of an airbrush. It's all I've ever cleaned my airbrushes with. Screw that disassembling and scrubbing and fussing. Run some lacquer thinner through it and move on!

And a special reminder to Mark Yungblut: WIPE resin with lacquer thinner to clean it, do not SOAK resin in lacquer thinner!

Erin
<*>
Old 02-20-2012, 05:59 PM
My ass is itchy...

Neb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati God

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasphule View Post
And a special reminder to Mark Yungblut: WIPE resin with lacquer thinner to clean it, do not SOAK resin in lacquer thinner!

Erin
<*>
The funniest modeling gone wrong story I've ever heard...

Now, even if I WERE to attend, y'all better keep them costume wearing types away from me. I don't like you model people. How I ever got hooked up with you geeks, I'll never know. I lived all this time, just to end up spending my days with fucking "Skill Level 3" and "Ages 8 and up".
--Eagle-1, the funniest bastard on Earth!
Old 10-06-2015, 09:03 AM

Hectors House is a splendid one to beholdHectors House is a splendid one to beholdHectors House is a splendid one to beholdHectors House is a splendid one to beholdHectors House is a splendid one to beholdHectors House is a splendid one to beholdHectors House is a splendid one to beholdHectors House is a splendid one to beholdHectors House is a splendid one to beholdHectors House is a splendid one to beholdHectors House is a splendid one to behold

Just a brief word of warning guys.
If you use Iwata - DONT strip the tips - especially if using Hi-Line or CM.
Back flush withy plenty of pressure and Liquid reamer/cellulose/Brush cleaner.