Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > The Oratory > Model Talk

Model Talk General Modeling Discussions

Old 12-22-2011, 03:19 AM
It's gonna get real now.

The Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati God
Default Switching to acrylics - HEEEEELP!!!!

I've come to the contusion that I just can't do what I want to do with enamels, and am on the ragged edge, getting ready to make the jump to acrylics.

ajcmac's WW2 a/c builds is what finally did it. He said he uses Tamiya's paint. So, basically:

What do you use for thinner?
Is it compatible mixing-wise with other acrylics, like Polly S and Model Master?
What do you use to clean your airbrush?
ajcmac likes Mig's washes. What else do you guys like?
What other questions should I be asking?

Many thanks in advance!

Last edited by The Cat; 12-24-2011 at 12:26 AM.
Old 12-22-2011, 05:35 AM
More dangerous than I look!

zysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati God
Default Re: Alright, you maniacs... I need some paint help!

Thinner:
I use the manufacturer's thinner, along with a drop or two of windshield washer fluid to break the surface tension.

Mixing:
Test, test, test. Some brands can be mixed, others not so much.

Cleaning:
First I rinse in the sink using water to get rid of 90% of the paint. Then I flush using Windex and/or windshield washer fluid. If it's really stubborn, I use Winsor & Newton airbrush cleaner and/or lacquer thinner.

Washes:
I don't. I'm a noob in that department.

Brands:
I use Tamiya and Model Master Acryl. Haven't seen a need to try anything else as these work well for me!

Last edited by zysurge; 12-22-2011 at 05:36 AM.
Old 12-22-2011, 07:25 PM
Model Psycho

Damien9479 Overlord Master of AllDamien9479 Overlord Master of AllDamien9479 Overlord Master of AllDamien9479 Overlord Master of AllDamien9479 Overlord Master of AllDamien9479 Overlord Master of AllDamien9479 Overlord Master of AllDamien9479 Overlord Master of AllDamien9479 Overlord Master of AllDamien9479 Overlord Master of AllDamien9479 Overlord Master of All

Making the jump to acrylics huh Dave??
I will agree with Zysurge said there is some good sound advice there
I've used Tamiya, Polly S and Testors Acryl

Thinners: For the Testors and PollyS I have had great results using Testors 50496 thinner: Tamiya I find that Tamiya's X-20 thinner is a bit expensive so I found a solution to that and use 70% Isopropyl Alcohol and have had very good results with it...If you can't find 70% get 90% alcohol and just add 20% water

Mixing: Like Zysurge said it's all about experimenting

Cleaning: Testors and PollyS I use Testors 50497 cleaner along with a good backflush and it does the job nicely...Tamiya I use 90% Alcohol to clean and sometimes I use lacquer thinner for the real stubborn stuff

Washes: No fucking idea since I really suck at weathering
Old 12-22-2011, 10:58 PM
Shit got real.

HWR MKII Resin Illuminati GodHWR MKII Resin Illuminati GodHWR MKII Resin Illuminati GodHWR MKII Resin Illuminati GodHWR MKII Resin Illuminati GodHWR MKII Resin Illuminati GodHWR MKII Resin Illuminati GodHWR MKII Resin Illuminati GodHWR MKII Resin Illuminati GodHWR MKII Resin Illuminati GodHWR MKII Resin Illuminati God

if you make a mistake windex is great. It will strip off the oldest and thickest dry tamiya paint. Its odd stuff. But its the one brand that i get the most consistent results with. If you over thin tamiya though it will go chalky. either clear coat the model after or add a few drops of future to the thinned paint to retain color consistency.
Old 12-22-2011, 11:14 PM
BOING BOING BOING

allthumbs has a reputation beyond reputeallthumbs has a reputation beyond reputeallthumbs has a reputation beyond reputeallthumbs has a reputation beyond reputeallthumbs has a reputation beyond reputeallthumbs has a reputation beyond reputeallthumbs has a reputation beyond reputeallthumbs has a reputation beyond reputeallthumbs has a reputation beyond reputeallthumbs has a reputation beyond reputeallthumbs has a reputation beyond repute

Im right there with you Cat. Acrylics just seem so unforgiving. I have two p-40 warhawks. ill try the smaller one (1/48) with tamiya and see how it goes. Something tells me ill end up soaking it in windex.
Old 12-23-2011, 02:34 AM
Mostly Harmless

777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God

Big Dave - can this be a sticky?
Old 12-23-2011, 08:37 PM

Lord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati GodLord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati GodLord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati GodLord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati GodLord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati GodLord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati GodLord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati GodLord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati GodLord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati GodLord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati GodLord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati God

PLEASE! Sticky this!

Wait...that didn't sound right...

You can also try craft paints from Hobby Lobby/Michaels, for your SF builds. I've had pretty good luck brushing them. I need to stock up on goodies, so I can start trying to figure out how to airbrush them. Lt. Zombe on Starship Modeler has a great thread acrylics on the "Finishing" forum that is stickied. Highly recommended!

Please consider making a donation to Shriner's Hospitals For Children.
Old 12-24-2011, 12:21 AM
BOING BOING BOING

allthumbs has a reputation beyond reputeallthumbs has a reputation beyond reputeallthumbs has a reputation beyond reputeallthumbs has a reputation beyond reputeallthumbs has a reputation beyond reputeallthumbs has a reputation beyond reputeallthumbs has a reputation beyond reputeallthumbs has a reputation beyond reputeallthumbs has a reputation beyond reputeallthumbs has a reputation beyond reputeallthumbs has a reputation beyond repute

i can't even get tamiya primer to work right. I gave up and went to allclads primer. Even though its as expensive as Dom Perignon per volume.
Old 12-24-2011, 12:28 AM
It's gonna get real now.

The Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati God
Default Re: Switching to acrylics - HEEEEELP!!!!

Stickified.

Lots of good info here. I think I can make it happen. When I start that Scharnhorst build, I'll be using acrylics for the vurra first time!

Many thanks, guys - please keep it coming.
Old 12-24-2011, 08:40 AM
My ass is itchy...

Neb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati God

Dave,

You know all I've ever used is Acryls---Tamiya, MM Acryl, Vallejo. Contrary to popular belief, I've never once had peeling issues even on resin kits.

On resin kits, I use Gunze (Mr.Hobby) Resin surfacer--after a good scrubbing--and I let it sit for at least 24 hours. For me, that's especially easy since it takes me forever to build a model. I bought a large jug of X-20 thinner, and it's lasted me 3 years now. I've used the homemade stuff and it works fine as well, but I'm looking to eliminate any chance of having to redo paint because something went "wrong."

I let the color coat sit 48 hours to gas off----my litmus test is to smell the model. If you can still smell the paint, it's still gassing off. (my theory anyhow and I'm sticking to it. )

I tape off for the secondary colors using Tamiya tape, lightly burnishing the edges. If you're worried about bleed-through you can tape off and lightly clear coat first to seal the tape. The only issue I have with that, is that it adds another coat of paint to the suface and by the time you're done you may end up with a raised surface that looks out of scale.

Washes----I clear coat, wait 24 hrs and oil wash. I've seen guys use the water, dish soap, and Acryl wash and I personally don't like it. I've tried it and don't like it, very inconsistent vs. oil, but that may very well be because I suck at it. I just use what works for me.

Weathering----I flat coat if it applies (like Armor), then I go after it with Mig Pigments and a stiff brush. For more control, like streaking or post shading I'm in love with Tamiya pastels. Let it all sit for a day, and then a light flat coat.

And no----it won't wash the weathering off. In some cases, it will lighten the weathering-----better not enough than too much. In that case I'll redouble my efforts to taste, and re-coat.

Brush cleaning----like everybody else says with one word of warning: try to avoid windex for cleaning as Amonnia attacks brass and too much of it over time will make the o-rings "sticky". I've two Iwata's that had to be rebuilt because of this. After 3 years, my Grex work like brand new, and I've never used Windex to clean it.

That's my story and I haven't had any boo-boos in 7 years. Like all of us here, that's what works for me.

Now, even if I WERE to attend, y'all better keep them costume wearing types away from me. I don't like you model people. How I ever got hooked up with you geeks, I'll never know. I lived all this time, just to end up spending my days with fucking "Skill Level 3" and "Ages 8 and up".
--Eagle-1, the funniest bastard on Earth!
Old 12-24-2011, 11:08 PM
Oh my!

lakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati God

I mix Tamiya paints with X-20 Thinner at a 50/50 ratio. Never had any issues.

I've also had good luck with MM Acryl....even their flatcote even though a lot of reviews I have read are mostly hit or miss results....

I also use oils for weathering. I'd highly recommend looking up Fichtenfoo's demos on YouTube for a good primer in the basics. He also goes over MIG pigments as well.

Shaka, when the walls fell.
His eyes opened!
The bubbles rose.

Old 12-25-2011, 02:04 AM
Mostly Harmless

777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God

Dave, can I ask why you used enamels and why the switch? Is enamels for beginners / novices?
Old 12-25-2011, 10:08 AM
My ass is itchy...

Neb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati God

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakespeed View Post
I'd highly recommend looking up Fichtenfoo's demos on YouTube for a good primer in the basics. He also goes over MIG pigments as well.
Yes.

Now, even if I WERE to attend, y'all better keep them costume wearing types away from me. I don't like you model people. How I ever got hooked up with you geeks, I'll never know. I lived all this time, just to end up spending my days with fucking "Skill Level 3" and "Ages 8 and up".
--Eagle-1, the funniest bastard on Earth!
Old 12-25-2011, 03:13 PM
It's gonna get real now.

Trip, the only paints I had access to growing up were Testors enamels, with a few Pactra colors thrown in.

I was eventually able to get access to some Tamiya and Polly S colors, but the enamel habit had set in deep by that time.

I still like enamels for durability and shirt drying times, but I can'd do what I NEED to do with them.
Old 12-25-2011, 04:37 PM
Oh my!

lakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati God

Quote:
Originally Posted by 777 View Post
Dave, can I ask why you used enamels and why the switch? Is enamels for beginners / novices?
Trip,

I still like and use enamels as well (I LOVE Humbrol tins) but the main reason why I have switched to Acrylics as well is:

1) They seem to spray better through my Iwata airbrush

2) I seem to get a more evenly sprayed coat.....i.e. they are a bit more forgiving

3) For weathering. Now that I am hooked on oils as to my previous wash/weathering methods acrylics are just easier to deal with. You can use oils for wash/weathering over enamels but it's just more work to get them to look better. That's mostly because you have to shoot a clearcoat over each layer to protect it.

It's really just a matter of "to each their own" and deciding on what you like best. I am by no means an expert....I can only say how much I enjoy a certain technique until someone shows me or I learn a better way of doing something.

I'll also say this about that: George's little method of taping and clearcoating layers to protect them has given me a wonderful idea I want to try out next time I want to simulate a very thin layer of Klingon Armor. From his perspective it would be a bane to an aircraft however for me it may be EXACTLY what I want to achieve in a "layered" finish.

Shaka, when the walls fell.
His eyes opened!
The bubbles rose.