Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > The Oratory > Model Talk

Model Talk General Modeling Discussions

Old 07-01-2016, 07:09 AM
Den Mother

Mark Yungblut has a reputation beyond reputeMark Yungblut has a reputation beyond reputeMark Yungblut has a reputation beyond reputeMark Yungblut has a reputation beyond reputeMark Yungblut has a reputation beyond reputeMark Yungblut has a reputation beyond reputeMark Yungblut has a reputation beyond reputeMark Yungblut has a reputation beyond reputeMark Yungblut has a reputation beyond reputeMark Yungblut has a reputation beyond reputeMark Yungblut has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A true 'scratch' build?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blappy View Post
I agree about the loss of traditional modeling skills. I see a lot of patterns and resin kits that were 3D printed. Seldom are they properly finished or cleaned up. It shows that people working on them to not posses the fundamental model skills required to do it the hand crafted way. If I can see evidence of the printing process on a model it immediately takes away from the overall aesthetic of the final piece.

That being said I feel it's a natural evolution of the hobby and it should be embraced with a level of caution.
Another thing I have seen with 3D printed "masters" is that many of the artists have ZERO clue as to removing fine details as you scale down. Mold making has advanced greatly in the last 20 years, but there will always be limitations as to what can be practically pulled out of a mold without tearing the mold itself.

I agree with you Blap about folks losing fundamental model skills. You see the same thing in the arts today. I was chatting with a recent art school grad that is a "Fine arts painter". She uses oil for many of her works so I asked if she ever makes her own paint. Her answer was "Why would I want to do that?". I have had similar conversations with younger illustrators, many of whom use have never picked up a brush and painted anything.