Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > The Oratory > Model Talk

Model Talk General Modeling Discussions

Old 05-13-2016, 02:40 PM

srspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant future
Default STYNYLREZ primer?

Hey All,

Has anyone ever worked with this stuff. Its labeled as a 'water based acrylic polyurethane'. The label also says it is the perfect primer for everything. It comes in three colors, white, gray & black and dries flat.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Scott
Old 05-16-2016, 09:57 PM
Don't drink the resin!

dasphule has a reputation beyond reputedasphule has a reputation beyond reputedasphule has a reputation beyond reputedasphule has a reputation beyond reputedasphule has a reputation beyond reputedasphule has a reputation beyond reputedasphule has a reputation beyond reputedasphule has a reputation beyond reputedasphule has a reputation beyond reputedasphule has a reputation beyond reputedasphule has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: STYNYLREZ primer?

I've been reading about how great it is for the last year. All the figure guys love it. If I can find some at WF I'll get it and report back.

I did recently buy and use Vallejo primer. Do NOT buy this crap! It basically dries like house paint. It's a rubbery coating over resin and metal that dan be peeled right off just as if ut were latex house paint. In fact, I did just that to a Joker figure I sprayed with the stuff. I peeled every last bit of it right off, strangest primer I've ever seen!

I've been on a primer hunt for a while now. So far Duplicolor and Tamiya are still the champs!

Erin
Old 06-03-2016, 01:35 PM

srspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant future

Thanks much!

I have also been watching reviews on line and it appears to be very good stuff. My model building student has some and wants to use it on his build. We'll give it a try and find out.
Old 06-09-2016, 07:27 PM
Don't drink the resin!

dasphule has a reputation beyond reputedasphule has a reputation beyond reputedasphule has a reputation beyond reputedasphule has a reputation beyond reputedasphule has a reputation beyond reputedasphule has a reputation beyond reputedasphule has a reputation beyond reputedasphule has a reputation beyond reputedasphule has a reputation beyond reputedasphule has a reputation beyond reputedasphule has a reputation beyond repute

Ok Scott, I got the Stynylres. I haven't sprayed it yet, but I used it to prime an unclean, unwashed resin figure from Jimmy Flintstone at the show with a brush and it went down beautifully leaving no brush marks. As for toughness, that remains to be seen. On this particular figure I can scrape it off with my fingernails, but then again the figure wasn't cleaned before application. I think it might be fine for figures, but I still have to mask over it to see how it reacts to tape being pulled off of it. The paint smells EXACTLY like the old Pactra acrylics from the early '90's, the stuff that used to come in the big bottles that were the same size as Badger airbrush bottles. The label says it's Acrylic Polyurethane. Still need to see how it works on styrene, vinyl, and other materials like RenShape.

I'll continue to use it and keep reporting back to you. Should you buy it? It's cheap enough, so you may as well get the small bottle and try it. I paid $12 for two 4oz bottles at the show, and he had all sorts of different size bottles of it in multiple colors.

I also recently acquired a spray can of Citadel Corax White Model Paint that I'll be testing. Expensive as hell at $20, I've been told it has no equal in figure modeling. I have a feeling it's going to be just like the Tamiya spray can primer, which is the best I've used so far on resin. Second place so far is Tamiya Color XF-2 Flat White right out of the bottle thinned with denatured alcohol. Third place is still Duplicolor Etching primer.

Erin
Old 06-16-2016, 08:46 PM

Thanks for the great info!

My student wants to try it on a model we are building. We'll see how it works.
Old 06-17-2016, 08:48 AM
More dangerous than I look!

zysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati God

I also bought some Stynylrez primer at Wonderfest, and have been doing some experiments with it.

First up, on Styrene. I took an old AMT Enterprise warp engine, washed it in dish soap, dried it, and sprayed on black Stynylrez. It goes on super thin and very smooth. I let it dry overnight, although it was dry to the touch after just a few minutes.

Then I masked four sections. Left to right, you have: Tamiya masking tape, 3m blue painter's tape, scotch tape (just because) and some random sign vinyl I had laying around. I burnished the tape down very firmly.

I then let the tape stay on for 24 hours, and peeled it off. Not delicately. There's no peeling whatsoever from any of the tapes:

Next, I repeated the whole test on resin, using the upper saucer from a SSM Larson class kit. Obviously cast by our very own Erin. Same washing process, just scrubbed down with dish detergent.

Same tapes used, and again burnished pretty firmly:

After 24 hours, tape removed. ACK! Only the Tamiya tape failed to cause damage.

I'm now in the process of repeating the resin test. I lightly sanded the saucer to remove most of the primer, then washed it again with dish soap, and then wiped it down with lacquer thinner. I'll post these results soon - can't remove the tape until tonight.

Last edited by zysurge; 06-17-2016 at 08:50 AM.
Old 06-17-2016, 08:54 PM

Wow, thanx Zysurge for the in-depth analysis!!

I would like to see the urethane arts, after washing, sanded with 400 grit only and then primed. If this primer cannot hold to a 400 finish on a urethane part, then there are some issues.
Old 06-18-2016, 11:05 AM
Don't drink the resin!

I haven't done much other than pouring resin and molds since I got back, but I did spray it onto a Zev figure I got from Tony that is straight UV resin right out of the Form 1 printer. Sticks pretty well to this stuff. Had to use an xacto to scrape it off, but didn't get a chance to use tape like Eric did.

You did EXACTLY what I was going to do, Eric! So thanks! Now I don't have to! LOL! But yeah, give that urethane a decent roughing with some 400 as Scott said.

I'll try this Citadel Corax White today on some urethane. We'll see if it's all Mark Yungblut swears it to be...
Old 06-20-2016, 08:07 AM
More dangerous than I look!

zysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati God

Ok, here's the follow-up. I lightly sanded that saucer half with 400 grit to remove the primer I'd already applied, then wiped it down with lacquer thinner. I applied the same 4 type of tape/masking:

I let those sit for about 48 hours, then peeled them off. Again, I wasn't delicate in the removal process - just kinda pulled. This time, the primer stood up to everything:

The lines/ghosted you see are where I burning the tape down and maybe went off the side, rubbing the paint.

This is officially my favorite primer now. It sticks great, goes down unbelievably thin, and doesn't take a ton to cover. And since it's not a spray bomb, I don't have a ton of overspray that smells terrible, like with Tamiya's fine surface primer.

Can't wait to use this stuff on an actual build!
Old 06-20-2016, 05:20 PM

Ah Ha!! I figured if it was given half a chance, it might stick better.

Awesome trial review zysurge!

One of the many reasons I love this board.

I fell very confident teaching my new student how to use this primer. I need to learn how to use it as well, so we will both learn!!!
Old 07-07-2016, 08:20 AM

OK, used this primer this past weekend along with my student.

We used it un-thinned in his Iwata. It is a basic brush, not double action. Can't remember the model just now. Anyway, we sprayed small parts to some robot kits he is building for his son. It went on and covered very nicely. After a while, it did start to clog the nozzle a little bit, but I backed the needle off slightly and that helped. I also added a couple of drops of water to thin it and it went on perfectly.

We then covered the gray primer with a Plasticote gloss black we de-canned and thinned with lacquer thinner. No issues and it dried fairly quickly as well. I will try to get him to use a water based gloss black in the future. ( Any suggestions of a good water based gloss black are welcome! )

I would like him to get away from lacquer based products if I can. He has two little ones and that stuff doesn't do good things to people.

Very impressed with this product. Thanks for all of the input so far, everyone!