Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > The Oratory > Model Talk

Model Talk General Modeling Discussions

Old 12-25-2011, 06:15 PM
My ass is itchy...

Neb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati God
Default Re: Switching to acrylics - HEEEEELP!!!!

And actually, if I had my druthers, I'd spray everything with laquers. They are literally idiot-proof.

Now, even if I WERE to attend, y'all better keep them costume wearing types away from me. I don't like you model people. How I ever got hooked up with you geeks, I'll never know. I lived all this time, just to end up spending my days with fucking "Skill Level 3" and "Ages 8 and up".
--Eagle-1, the funniest bastard on Earth!
Old 12-25-2011, 11:36 PM
Oh my!

lakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neb View Post
And actually, if I had my druthers, I'd spray everything with laquers. They are literally idiot-proof.
It sucks when your druthers go missing. I lost mine about 10 years ago and I'm still not over it.

Shaka, when the walls fell.
His eyes opened!
The bubbles rose.

Old 12-26-2011, 07:41 AM
My ass is itchy...

Neb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati God

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakespeed View Post
It sucks when your druthers go missing. I lost mine about 10 years ago and I'm still not over it.
Yep, that's why I don't have mine either-----missing for about 10 years as well. I'm certain they're buried under a pile of garbage in my daughter's room, but she swears she hasn't seen them....

Now, even if I WERE to attend, y'all better keep them costume wearing types away from me. I don't like you model people. How I ever got hooked up with you geeks, I'll never know. I lived all this time, just to end up spending my days with fucking "Skill Level 3" and "Ages 8 and up".
Old 12-30-2011, 03:09 PM
Pissin 'em off since :1999

Eagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati God

Nope! It's a subtle thing and y'all missed it. Mine have been gone for 29 years. See, what happens is, your Wife takes any 'druthers' you have, yet still, somehow, keeps hers and actually adds yours TO hers. This gets done almost instantly when you get into a relationship. There are other things that y'all may have missed too because during the very early stages THEY take full advantage of YOU falling in love with them and you never saw these things happen. In some cases, even though a spouse is wired to take these little things from you, sometimes, we give them up willingly. It's really a shame and there IS no way around this. It won't do any good to even think about the things you lose either. There is absolutely no chance you will ever get them back.

Anyway, Dave, I use the alcohol thinner thing too and it does help. I generally have never let my airbrush sit long enough to get dried paint too bad, but I do occasionally take it completely apart and clean everything real good with Toluene and dry it with acetone. I don't care WHAT'S on it, those two will remove it. They are components in paint and won't hurt your airbrush, but they are strong and I've never left it in them. They are ALSO not very good for you, so if you ever need to use them, don't play around.

Like most everyone else who's posted here, I'm no expert either. Really, the only thing an expert COULD bring here would be some of the 'expert' tips and advice that us amatuers don't know about.

The best advice you can get with this has ALREADY been given. Test, test, test. Practice. It won't matter what folks tell you, you will end up with your own technique and tricks once you use these enough. That's a fact! Practice on an old shoe. Practice on a stick from the yard. Practice on a sheet of cardbord and styrene. Your painting WILL be different on every single one of those and you'll need to get that 'feel'. Even if you've used an airbrush many times, there will be a little adjustment curve.

Rob.
Old 12-30-2011, 05:22 PM
Mostly Harmless

777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God

Test and practice? Fuck that. I expect to read this thread and paint like rel straight off the bat!
Old 12-30-2011, 06:42 PM
My ass is itchy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 777 View Post
Test and practice? Fuck that. I expect to read this thread and paint like rel straight off the bat!

I practice on a poor little 1/72 scale Corsair----I figured out my X15 paint scheme on it, I tried the Alclad on it along with washes and flat coats.

It weighs about 11 pounds now.....

Old 12-30-2011, 06:45 PM
My ass is itchy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle-1 View Post
Nope! It's a subtle thing and y'all missed it. Mine have been gone for 29 years. See, what happens is, your Wife takes any 'druthers' you have, yet still, somehow, keeps hers and actually adds yours TO hers. This gets done almost instantly when you get into a relationship. There are other things that y'all may have missed too because during the very early stages THEY take full advantage of YOU falling in love with them and you never saw these things happen. In some cases, even though a spouse is wired to take these little things from you, sometimes, we give them up willingly. It's really a shame and there IS no way around this. It won't do any good to even think about the things you lose either. There is absolutely no chance you will ever get them back.

Rob.
Well---just went and told the bitch I'd like my druthers back.

She told me to go fuck myself.

Old 12-30-2011, 06:52 PM

Eagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati God

Quote:
It's really a shame and there IS no way around this. It won't do any good to even think about the things you lose either. There is absolutely no chance you will ever get them back.
And once again.......

I did try to explain that George.

All you can do now is go back and BEG her NOT to spread it around that you ever asked such a question. Your job now is damage control and preventing OUR Wives from finding out you brought the subject up.

See, this is exactly how bad things happen. I thought the wind blowing awhile ago made the lights flicker, but now it's clear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 777 View Post
Now wait a minute Drew??? You can read this and go straight out and paint just like REL or anybody else's work you may admire. Same techniques. Same paints. Same brush strokes.....EVERYTHING. The results may vary, that's all.

Rob.

Last edited by Eagle-1; 12-30-2011 at 06:58 PM.
Old 12-30-2011, 06:56 PM
My ass is itchy...

Oh my God---what was I THINKING!!!?????

Sorry fellas, it was both a moment of rage and weakness....

Old 12-30-2011, 07:00 PM

Uh-huh.

Your weakness.

Her rage.

That is normal.

Rob.
Old 12-30-2011, 07:02 PM
My ass is itchy...

Quote:
Uh-huh.

Your weakness.

Her rage.

That is normal.

Rob.

Old 12-30-2011, 09:13 PM
It's gonna get real now.

The Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati God

Okay guys, I've airbrushed acrylic paints for the VERY first time - and I have to say I'm all kinds of impressed with how well they shot. I used Tamiya my first time out. I thinned it almost 50/50.

It was nice being able to shoot and clean the airbrush in the basement without having to worry about pesky shit like ventilation!

Tamiya thinner is expensive. However, it's just n-propyl alcohol with a little butyl mixed in. I have lots of that in my chem lab, and I also have the equipment that may be able to determine the proper ratio from a sample of Tamiya thinner. Or I could just start with the n-propyl and add butyl till it smells right!

Thank you, guys. I think you've got me started right.

I've printed out most of this thread for handy reference in my shop. Never fear though - I still have a great many questions!

Da Cat
Old 12-31-2011, 02:27 AM
My ass is itchy...

One thing I like about Tamiya is how tight it skins to the surface. Even when I think I've put it on too heavy, it just sucks right down and makes me look like I know what I'm doing.

"Course, ya gotta make sure all the seams are sanded out...

Old 01-06-2012, 05:19 PM
It's gonna get real now.

The Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati God

Okay, let's say that the model has been properly primed and painted with acrylics.

What now?

What do I do to pop out the detail? Washes? Pastels? Dry-brushing?

Most of the model is about a Gunship Gray and the rest is an off white.
Old 01-06-2012, 08:00 PM
My ass is itchy...

Well, here's what I do----

If it has a lot of tight surface detail...panel lines, molded in detail like ladders, hatches, doors, etc. I'd gloss clear coat it and let her set up for a day and do an oil wash. A darker contrast color, possibly Payne's Gray out of the tube and thin it waaaaay down with mineral spirits on a small bowl.

I pour a small amount of spirits into a very shallow bowl, put a blob of the paint next to it and draw small amounts of the paint into the thinner and mix until I have a very watery opaque color. Then I take a very fine brush---I think I use a 10/0 (I'm at work)--- and load the brush with the pigment. For a panel line, I'd lightly touch the brush to the seam and let capillary action do the work sucking down into the panel. It's all about control here, so it's time consuming. And some call it a pin wash.

The same would apply around hatches, ladders----no reaon to be ham-fisted, just a very light touch. Obviously, you're gonna get wash where you don't want it, but that's OK----you can go back later and clean up the excess with a Q-tip soaked in thinner. Once you're happy with the results, then go ahead and Acryl flat coat.

Did I mention you could do all three?

Once it's flat coated and dry, I usually go after it with pastels. I use Tamiya or Mig Pigments, but I prefer Tamiya. It offers a huge amount of control with almost no mess. I have all 5 sets and it gives me every contrasting tone I can think of.(so far) The way I got comfortable with the stuff is that I think back to drafting classes in school when I used to do a rendering of a house and I was required to use shading with the old No#2 pencil (no compooper) to give it dimension. I'll pick a color that's similiar to painted color and go after panels. Very lightly at first, but if you do too much you can always "buff it down" with tissue. It's very hard to describe for me----as the first time I played with it I "got it". Another thing I got good at was water marks/stains on vertical surfaces. Pick a lighter color pastel than your base color, and ever so lightly draw down from top to bottom go lighter the further down you go. Works great for rust stains too.

I think you will too! The beauty of this stuff is if you don't like the outcome, remove it with water.

I'm sure there are other folks that have a lot to add to what I've posted, hopefully with some shortcuts....