Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > The Oratory > Model Talk

Model Talk General Modeling Discussions

Old 07-27-2013, 09:13 PM
Battlestar Triton

Griffworks has disabled reputation
Default Gorilla Glue Experiences?

I did a search in this forum and didn't see anything, so thought I'd start a thread....

A couple of weeks back while at WallyWorld, I bought some Gorilla Glue on a lark. I had heard about it a while back from folks over at Starship Modeler - I'm pretty sure it was Robb / Kylwell who had first mentioned it there - , but don't recall specifics other than I seem to recall him mentioning that it was a "gap filling" sort of CA.

Anyhow, I ran out of regular CA tonight and was wanting to put these two main hull pieces together on my Battlestar Atlantia build. I read the directions, wet the two parts and then put the GG on the join lines, going just a bit heavy on the glue. So far, it seems good, tho I used a bit too much and had it squirting out the seams to excess in several areas. I used a standard paper towel to wipe up the excess.

I put rubber bands on the model to get a nice, tight pressure on the parts. Thus far, it seems to have sealed up what little bit of seam line was initially appearing, filling in some of those spaces where a gap looks to still exist, as I seem to recall Robb mentioning.

So, my questions are these:

* My hands are a bit sticky, does that wear off over time, I guess? Is there anything in the way of common household items that I can use to clean this off my hands? It's only annoying, nothing beyond that. And yes, I know it says to use gloves and I know why it's got my hands feeling sticky. I'm a modeler, so don't follow directions....

* Will this bond resin to resin? Will it bond plastic to resin? Is there any medium on which it doesn't work?

* Once it fully cures, is there anything in particular I can use to clean up the excess? I mean, other than an Xacto to trim up any gobs and/or sanding or filing, of course.

* Does it take a putty on top of it well? I generally use Tamiya Putty, Basic Type for filling seams and the like. Has anyone had negative experiences filling on top of the Gorilla Glue?

I appreciate any and all experiences you care to share. Thanks muchly in advance!

Itís advised that you thoroughly research those from whom you plan to purchase from Garage Kit Manufacturers that you donít know!
Old 07-28-2013, 12:26 AM

G-Man is a glorious beacon of lightG-Man is a glorious beacon of lightG-Man is a glorious beacon of lightG-Man is a glorious beacon of lightG-Man is a glorious beacon of lightG-Man is a glorious beacon of lightG-Man is a glorious beacon of lightG-Man is a glorious beacon of lightG-Man is a glorious beacon of lightG-Man is a glorious beacon of lightG-Man is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Gorilla Glue Experiences?

Concerning sticky hands, I deal with it the same way i do super glue. Peel it off with whatever is handy to snag and pull it lose.
It will bond resin and plastic to resin and plastic. Thoguh i use it almost exclusively for metal to resin/plastic bonding. Mostly because i just don't care to deal with gorilla glue myself. But it does metal to plastic /resin very well so i use it for that.

REally cannot answer the excess problem, I apply very small drops with a dull #11 when i use it, generally i don't have any excess to speak of, again resin to metal thing so not much is ever needed.

Same with lack of ability to answer about putty.

Hope that helps Jeff

George

And you can follow Catalyst Creations on face book:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Catalyst-Creations/345458355475644
Old 07-28-2013, 10:42 AM
Battlestar Triton

Thanks for the response, G-Man! I appreciate it.

OK, so I cross-posted this across three other forums - Starship Modeler - this thread will eventually be auto-purged, so might not be there after a couple of weeks/month, HobbyTalk and All Scale Trek <--- click on the links and it'll take you directly to those threads. I've got multiple responses in the first two forums, not a single from AST, tho.

In summary, so that you don't have to go to each and every post on the other forums, here's what I've learned from the posts:

* The stuff I'm using is "regular" Gorilla Glue and that there's a Gorilla Super Glue, which is what Robb / Kylwell was on about, but I clearly didn't remember. Packaging says it's water proof, so when I take my models into the bathtub with me, that means I shouldn't have to worry about them falling apart.

* The Super Glue version can be used on darned near anything, to include wood, apparently. Per the packaging, the Regular stuff can also be used on darned near anything. My main interests, obviously, are with styrene and resin, with possible brass to plastic or resin needs for adding PE to model parts.

* Isopropyl alcohol will help to clean the Regular stuff off your hands.

* Do not leave it on the night stand. (That's such a rookie move! Everybody knows that you triple check to make sure it's the motion lotion on the night stand before you turn the lights out.

Or so I've been told....)

From my own experiences with the Gorilla Glue Tubes (i.e. "Regular" Gorilla Glue):

* This stuff works great! As it says on the packaging, it's Incredibly Strong! I've used it to do a near perfect seam on both sides of my Battlestar Atlantia main hull, as well as adhered the Gator head to the main hull. Just follow the directions - wet both surfaces, apply the glue from the tube, get a good seal with some sort of clamps (I used standard green newspaper rubber bands as we have an ample supply) and let it set for an hour.

* Comes up pretty easily after it fully cures with an Xacto blade and didn't require a whole lot of pressure on the Xacto. As someone mentioned in one of the other threads, it's a urethane type of medium, so doesn't dry hard-as-a-rock like most CA's will. It's good and solid, but not brittle-hard. More like some of the two-part epoxies that I've used, I guess. Just not as messy 'cause it's already mixed for you, nor as rock hard and brittle as one or two brands I've used.

* If you get some of the Regular stuff on your hands, it leaves the skin a bit tacky feeling, but doesn't seem to actually leave the surface tacky. For instance, I got it in the web of my left hand and when I closed my hand up, it felt tacky, but when I used a finger from my right hand, the right finger didn't feel at all tacky (maybe because the right hand behaves better in company than the left hand?).

I'll eventually buy some of the Gorilla Super Glue and post about it once I've used it. So far, tho, this stuff works just fine for my needs. I'm not usually in too big of a hurry, as I tend to work on multiple projects at one time, so allowing for cure time on glue isn't generally too big of a deal.

Itís advised that you thoroughly research those from whom you plan to purchase from Garage Kit Manufacturers that you donít know!
Old 07-30-2013, 12:20 PM
Battlestar Triton

Couple more things I learned:

* 70% Isopropyl Rubbing Alcohol does indeed allow you to clean this up pretty easily. Leaves no residue on the area, provided you wipe it all off w/the Isopropyl.

* This stuff is rather slippery for about 15 minutes after you put it down before it starts to set. I went to move some stuff about 15 minutes or so after I'd glued the parts together and figured, so long as I was careful, that I could move it. I wasn't careful enough!

Here's the stuff that I've been using, to include an individual tube and the four-pack that I bought at WallyWorld.

Old 08-01-2013, 06:19 PM
Battlestar Triton

Was out running errands at WallyWorld and had wanted to get some CA while I was out, 'cause holding one of those arms for the flight pods on my Atlantia build last night for about thirty minutes was a PITA. So, thought I'd check to see if they had the Gorilla Glue Super Glue and sho' 'nuff, they did!

This is some more great stuff. It takes a little longer than normal CA to set - roughly 60 to 90 seconds - but once it's set, it's DaBomb Diggity!

It goes on a bit thicker than the regular "liquid" CA's I've used. Not nearly as thick as the CA Gel's, tho. Not nearly as strong of an odor as most CA's, either. Or at least not that I noticed.

I prodded at one of the exposed areas inside the model and it's not at all rock hard and brittle like most CA. It's hard like a glue should be, but also has just a bit of a give to it compared to CA. It's got a very tight, solid bond. Nice stuff and really likin' it so far!

Old 04-30-2016, 05:46 PM

Joseph C. Brown is a name known to allJoseph C. Brown is a name known to allJoseph C. Brown is a name known to allJoseph C. Brown is a name known to allJoseph C. Brown is a name known to allJoseph C. Brown is a name known to allJoseph C. Brown is a name known to allJoseph C. Brown is a name known to allJoseph C. Brown is a name known to allJoseph C. Brown is a name known to allJoseph C. Brown is a name known to all

Does anyone have feedback on well this glue will bond Tamiya vinyl armor treads with plastic? And the Tamiya kit age vintages range from the late 1970's up thru 2005 or so.

This is for a detailing effect, the vinyl tracks / treads will be very static/non-moving, and with no tension or load-bearing involved. They will just be "busying up" part of a starship.

Or if Gorilla glue won't do it, any proven advice on what will? I've hunted alot around on various armor forums, and they are no help.