Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > Works in Progress > Anime

Anime Anime WIPs

Old 05-05-2008, 05:27 PM
Olive Drab is Sexy

Gunnie Resin Illuminati GodGunnie Resin Illuminati GodGunnie Resin Illuminati GodGunnie Resin Illuminati GodGunnie Resin Illuminati GodGunnie Resin Illuminati GodGunnie Resin Illuminati GodGunnie Resin Illuminati GodGunnie Resin Illuminati GodGunnie Resin Illuminati GodGunnie Resin Illuminati God
Default In-Progress: EDF Super-Battleship Electra

I figure it's time for some Star Blazers love around RI's Forums...

I've loved the anime series from the very first time seeing it as a kid. It was so far ahead of what cartoon fare presented on television at that time as to be considered monumental - at least to me.

In the second series (The Comet Empire) I first saw the EDF's (Earth Defense Force) Super-Battleship Andromeda and was awestruck. I mean the Argo was cool and all, but dual-Wave Motion Guns - shit! It was never really stated if Andromeda was one-of-a-kind or not, but when she was destroyed, I was a bit miffed.

It seems to me that the EDF would have wasted a good design had they not built more of this class capitol ship. In the third series (The Bolar Wars) the Battleship Arizona was a stretched Andromeda (I) class vessel - though destroyed at the beginning of the series and the viewers never got to see what it could do. (Future miniature project here!) The Battleship Bismark was also based on the Andromeda design, though more radical in upgrades. It was not shown on television either.

So, with Bandai's 1:700 scale Andromeda in my idle hands this fine Cinco de Mayo - I set out to model a ship in this class and satisify my urge to have the Andromeda Class in my collection.

With Electra I want to model something as close to what the anime Andromeda looked like - without making it look like a cartoon. It's tough - how do you model a cartoon subject, finish it like the drawings or like it might look if done as a movie miniature? I dunno, so I'm attempting to do both by keeping the spirit of the original anime, adding some details and revisions I imagined the ship would look as if done in miniature for filming - and hope not to end up with an abomination...

I didn't bother to take in-progress photos of the parts going together because there isn't anything remarkable there to show. There isn't a whole heck of a lot in Bandai's kit to start with. It is just an exercise in patience and basic modeling construction technique. Nothing hairy, scary or unusual to watch out for - other than planning ahead for lighting.

At this stage, I've got the major components together, and lit with white LED's driven by x2 AA-Batteries in a little powerpack. I haven't done anything to seal the light or fix/correct seams, etc, and I tossed aside the instruction sheet because the lighting is dictating what sequence things come together. I just taped Electra up to see what she's gonna look like and took some photos. I put the brightest lights in place already, and there's room in the huge hull to add more. I'm just thinking about what and where I might want to add them. In the anime, Andromeda is not lit with a bunch of lights. I don't plan on going hog-wild either. I wanted the dual-Wave Motion Guns lit brightly - like Electra is underway and means business!

There are a lot of adjustments, cleanup, tweaks and finishing tasks to complete, and I plan on adding some external "greeblies" I felt were missing from the simple lines of the anime drawings. Electra is supposed to be 275 meters long and weighs some 98,000 tons - so I want to convey some sense of scale and heft to the miniature too. She should look like a capitol ship.

I think this one is gonna be fun. I watch episodes of The Comet Empire while I'm working on Electra and it makes it more enjoyable. I'm in a state of modeling-mood where I feel I don't have to focus on any one thing at one time. I'm enjoying having several pots on the stove now - it is a lot of fun to build just for the Hell of it...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BattleshipElectrapic000.jpg (276.8 KB, 270 views)
File Type: jpg BattleshipElectrapic001.jpg (287.1 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg BattleshipElectrapicbig002.jpg (290.3 KB, 151 views)
File Type: jpg BattleshipElectrapicbig003.jpg (248.3 KB, 129 views)
File Type: jpg BattleshipElectrapicbig004.jpg (277.8 KB, 210 views)
File Type: jpg BattleshipElectrapicbig005.jpg (356.1 KB, 98 views)

Jim Lewis
GunTruck Studios
Museum Associate Curator - Supervisory, Military Vehicle Technology Foundation (MVTF), Portola Valley, California

... Cry Havoc and let slip the Pastels of War! ...
Old 05-05-2008, 05:36 PM
Banned

modman06 Resin Illuminati Godmodman06 Resin Illuminati Godmodman06 Resin Illuminati Godmodman06 Resin Illuminati Godmodman06 Resin Illuminati Godmodman06 Resin Illuminati Godmodman06 Resin Illuminati Godmodman06 Resin Illuminati Godmodman06 Resin Illuminati Godmodman06 Resin Illuminati Godmodman06 Resin Illuminati God

Im not familiar with any of these ships. but it looks cool and cant wait to see what you do with it. i like the design.

al
Old 05-05-2008, 05:57 PM
Olive Drab is Sexy

Gunnie Resin Illuminati GodGunnie Resin Illuminati GodGunnie Resin Illuminati GodGunnie Resin Illuminati GodGunnie Resin Illuminati GodGunnie Resin Illuminati GodGunnie Resin Illuminati GodGunnie Resin Illuminati GodGunnie Resin Illuminati GodGunnie Resin Illuminati GodGunnie Resin Illuminati God

Here are line drawings of Andromeda and the Bandai model kit box art...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bandai31264.jpg (23.3 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg EDFAndromeda.jpg (59.8 KB, 137 views)

Jim Lewis
GunTruck Studios
Museum Associate Curator - Supervisory, Military Vehicle Technology Foundation (MVTF), Portola Valley, California

Old 05-05-2008, 06:13 PM

JohnLogan has a brilliant futureJohnLogan has a brilliant futureJohnLogan has a brilliant futureJohnLogan has a brilliant futureJohnLogan has a brilliant futureJohnLogan has a brilliant futureJohnLogan has a brilliant futureJohnLogan has a brilliant futureJohnLogan has a brilliant futureJohnLogan has a brilliant futureJohnLogan has a brilliant future

Hey Gunnie, love your ship. I always thought those space battleships where pretty cool. You might want to check out this sight.
http://www.geocities.jp/dourakuoyadi/
Thanks for sharing. :
-John
Old 05-05-2008, 07:33 PM
Blue Screen Mad Man!

Kuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati God

ooooooo... I like this Jim!

"Choose to have a good day!" Michael J. Fox
Old 05-05-2008, 07:40 PM
BANNED on the Run

anubispro has much to be proud ofanubispro has much to be proud ofanubispro has much to be proud ofanubispro has much to be proud ofanubispro has much to be proud ofanubispro has much to be proud ofanubispro has much to be proud ofanubispro has much to be proud ofanubispro has much to be proud ofanubispro has much to be proud ofanubispro has much to be proud of

Me like some Yamato.

Keep the pics comin.

"An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject."
"He who beats his swords into plowshares will plow for those that do not."
Old 05-06-2008, 09:12 AM
I AM YOUR FATHER

vaderman1701 has a brilliant futurevaderman1701 has a brilliant futurevaderman1701 has a brilliant futurevaderman1701 has a brilliant futurevaderman1701 has a brilliant futurevaderman1701 has a brilliant futurevaderman1701 has a brilliant futurevaderman1701 has a brilliant futurevaderman1701 has a brilliant futurevaderman1701 has a brilliant futurevaderman1701 has a brilliant future

That is so cool. I have the same 1/700 kit on the shelf and plan to light her as well. I also have a 1/700 Space Battleship Yamato as well that I want to build. Then I had the crazy idea to take a 1/720 scale USS Enterprise Aricraft Carrier and convert that to a "Space Carrier" reminiscent of Andromeda and Yamato. I can just see Tiger Fighters on the launch deck now.

You are getting me inspired.

Scott

Keeping Garage Kits Alive!

Old 05-06-2008, 09:39 AM
Olive Drab is Sexy

Go for it Scott! More from the Yamato Universe - the better. I don't have a 1:700 Argo to go with Electra yet - but I plan on getting one!

Jim Lewis
GunTruck Studios

Old 05-06-2008, 09:50 AM
A Poor Widow's Son

137th Gebirg is a splendid one to behold137th Gebirg is a splendid one to behold137th Gebirg is a splendid one to behold137th Gebirg is a splendid one to behold137th Gebirg is a splendid one to behold137th Gebirg is a splendid one to behold137th Gebirg is a splendid one to behold137th Gebirg is a splendid one to behold137th Gebirg is a splendid one to behold137th Gebirg is a splendid one to behold137th Gebirg is a splendid one to behold

Always loved Yamato. Just got the Bandai 1:350 Yamato a couple of months back and it's a monster! Some day I'll actually get around to building it.
Old 05-06-2008, 10:11 AM

79 daytona Resin Illuminati God79 daytona Resin Illuminati God79 daytona Resin Illuminati God79 daytona Resin Illuminati God79 daytona Resin Illuminati God79 daytona Resin Illuminati God79 daytona Resin Illuminati God79 daytona Resin Illuminati God79 daytona Resin Illuminati God79 daytona Resin Illuminati God79 daytona Resin Illuminati God

Man that ROCKS!! I also have that kit and the 1/700 Yamato and the 1/500 as well and not to long ago got all three seasons of the show. Can't wait to see it finsh.
Old 05-06-2008, 02:39 PM
I AM YOUR FATHER

vaderman1701 has a brilliant futurevaderman1701 has a brilliant futurevaderman1701 has a brilliant futurevaderman1701 has a brilliant futurevaderman1701 has a brilliant futurevaderman1701 has a brilliant futurevaderman1701 has a brilliant futurevaderman1701 has a brilliant futurevaderman1701 has a brilliant futurevaderman1701 has a brilliant futurevaderman1701 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by 137th Gebirg View Post
Always loved Yamato. Just got the Bandai 1:350 Yamato a couple of months back and it's a monster! Some day I'll actually get around to building it.
I am jealous. That kit looks impressive. I would love to see that next to the PL Refit Enterprise.

Scott

Keeping Garage Kits Alive!

Old 05-06-2008, 05:15 PM
Olive Drab is Sexy

I'm jealous too! The 1:350th Yamato is a grail kit of mine - I'd love to get my hands on one, one day...

She tasks me - and I shall have her!

Jim Lewis
GunTruck Studios

Old 05-07-2008, 06:17 AM
A Poor Widow's Son

137th Gebirg is a splendid one to behold137th Gebirg is a splendid one to behold137th Gebirg is a splendid one to behold137th Gebirg is a splendid one to behold137th Gebirg is a splendid one to behold137th Gebirg is a splendid one to behold137th Gebirg is a splendid one to behold137th Gebirg is a splendid one to behold137th Gebirg is a splendid one to behold137th Gebirg is a splendid one to behold137th Gebirg is a splendid one to behold

Oh, they're out there. Just got to know where to look. The easy answer is eBay, but you will pay out the ass for one. Got mine from HobbyLink Japan. It now appears to be on back-order:

http://www.hlj.com/product/ban946749

I would personally also like to get a hold of an Imai 1:350 Andromeda, but those things are infinitely more rare now-a-days.

I do also have a PL 1:350 Enterprise, so one day, when I actually have the time to put these things together, I will do a comparison shot.

The refit Enterprise is said to be 305 meters in length. The original WWII battleship Yamato was about 263 meters, and the anime version is supposed to be about 268 meters, so Enterprise is actually a bit longer by around 40 meters.
Old 05-07-2008, 03:23 PM

Heavy Melder has a reputation beyond reputeHeavy Melder has a reputation beyond reputeHeavy Melder has a reputation beyond reputeHeavy Melder has a reputation beyond reputeHeavy Melder has a reputation beyond reputeHeavy Melder has a reputation beyond reputeHeavy Melder has a reputation beyond reputeHeavy Melder has a reputation beyond reputeHeavy Melder has a reputation beyond reputeHeavy Melder has a reputation beyond reputeHeavy Melder has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaderman1701 View Post
That is so cool. I have the same 1/700 kit on the shelf and plan to light her as well. I also have a 1/700 Space Battleship Yamato as well that I want to build. Then I had the crazy idea to take a 1/720 scale USS Enterprise Aricraft Carrier and convert that to a "Space Carrier" reminiscent of Andromeda and Yamato. I can just see Tiger Fighters on the launch deck now.

You are getting me inspired.

Scott

Speaking of carriers, found this on a Japanese blog for a guy that does fan designed SBSY designs, and holy crap are they cool. Since you bought up carriers.....

http://lighthousezen.up.seesaa.net/i...8eridanus2.jpg

http://lighthousezen.up.seesaa.net/image/SCVL226.jpg

http://lighthousezen.up.seesaa.net/i...CVL227maya.jpg

Some other neat shit:
http://lighthousezen.up.seesaa.net/image/SBB205hagi.jpg
http://lighthousezen.up.seesaa.net/image/SBB258KW6.jpg

okay I'm gonna go work on a model now.......

"This is how Admiral Okita fights."
Old 05-07-2008, 03:27 PM

Heavy Melder has a reputation beyond reputeHeavy Melder has a reputation beyond reputeHeavy Melder has a reputation beyond reputeHeavy Melder has a reputation beyond reputeHeavy Melder has a reputation beyond reputeHeavy Melder has a reputation beyond reputeHeavy Melder has a reputation beyond reputeHeavy Melder has a reputation beyond reputeHeavy Melder has a reputation beyond reputeHeavy Melder has a reputation beyond reputeHeavy Melder has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 137th Gebirg View Post
I would personally also like to get a hold of an Imai 1:350 Andromeda, but those things are infinitely more rare now-a-days.
Picked one up here on RI's for sale forums a few months back. The thing is basically a scaled up version of the 1/700 bandai kit only much harder to build. The main components are made out of some rock hard styrofoam coated in a heavy primer of some kind. I hope super glue works on it.....

"This is how Admiral Okita fights."