Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > Finished Models > Anime

Anime Finished Anime

Old 07-15-2009, 03:13 AM

Alb has much to be proud ofAlb has much to be proud ofAlb has much to be proud ofAlb has much to be proud ofAlb has much to be proud ofAlb has much to be proud ofAlb has much to be proud ofAlb has much to be proud ofAlb has much to be proud ofAlb has much to be proud ofAlb has much to be proud of
Default My old anime figures

Hi everybody!
First time I'm writing here. I've just discovered this forum and it seems really full of interesting projects !

I'm Alberto from Italy.
I love sci-fi and I love to scratch build my models more than I love to paint them. So recently I decided to try to make some sci-fi model kits.
But in this thread I want to show you some of my (very) old models.
I was forced to stop model building for some years and only recently I've been able to begin again.

Here you can see Rei Ayanami (resin 1/8 scale) from Evangelion:

And this is Hobbyna (resin 1/8 scale) :

They are painted with an airbrushed acrilic base color and shaded with oil colors. The bases are scratch built.

Hope you like them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ReiLying9_thumb.jpg (38.1 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by Alb; 07-15-2009 at 03:18 AM. Reason: Forgot thumbnail
Old 07-15-2009, 07:11 AM

Peagis Overlord Master of AllPeagis Overlord Master of AllPeagis Overlord Master of AllPeagis Overlord Master of AllPeagis Overlord Master of AllPeagis Overlord Master of AllPeagis Overlord Master of AllPeagis Overlord Master of AllPeagis Overlord Master of AllPeagis Overlord Master of AllPeagis Overlord Master of All
Default Re: My old anime figures

Welcome and Very nice work!

~Pete~
Old 07-15-2009, 08:17 AM
Mostly Harmless

777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God

Nice snaps Alberto - Welcome!
Old 07-15-2009, 03:41 PM

Alb has much to be proud ofAlb has much to be proud ofAlb has much to be proud ofAlb has much to be proud ofAlb has much to be proud ofAlb has much to be proud ofAlb has much to be proud ofAlb has much to be proud ofAlb has much to be proud ofAlb has much to be proud ofAlb has much to be proud of

Thank you!
I'm happy you like them !
Old 07-15-2009, 05:22 PM
FOUNDING FATHER

DarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati God

WooHoo!
A new member who can paint figs! Since I CAN'T, I'm always interested to see work from those who do.

Maybe that's your "old work" but I'm glad you brought them out to share. I never will figure out how "you guys" get the variations in shades for everything, clothes, hair, flesh tones and then especially the eyes.

Welcome aboard- hope you enjoy your time here!
Old 07-15-2009, 07:32 PM

Peagis Overlord Master of AllPeagis Overlord Master of AllPeagis Overlord Master of AllPeagis Overlord Master of AllPeagis Overlord Master of AllPeagis Overlord Master of AllPeagis Overlord Master of AllPeagis Overlord Master of AllPeagis Overlord Master of AllPeagis Overlord Master of AllPeagis Overlord Master of All

I know I'd love some tips on how to do the variations with the flesh tones.

~Pete~
Old 07-16-2009, 03:58 PM

I'm happy you like them !
I'm not the best person to show you how to paint figures, but I give you some ideas.

I've found some photos on my HD and I've attached them to this message. They show you some steps of the painting of Rei.
As you can see I start with an airbrushed acrylic base color.
Then I switch to oil colors and I use two brushes here, one to apply the color and one clean brush with which I blend the color. I pull the color until I'm satisfied with the blend. This second brush must be cleaned very often.
I usually use two shades to blend: one darker than the base color and one lighter. If necessary I use more shades.

Then you can see some photos about how I paint eyes, well, at least anime eyes. As usual, the base color is an acrylic off white, slightly tinted with a flesh shade. Then I start to use oil colors with a very thin brush (10/0 or something like that). With a pencil I draw where the iris are and then I draw it with a black oil color. Wait until the colors are dry (I use a sort of oven to speed up drying) and then I start with iris colors, one shade at a time.
If I make a mistake I can easily erase all with a brush slightly soaked in turpentine or a similar solvent. The last touch is a glossy clear varnish, because real eyes are wet.

I know, this is a skimpy WIP, but I'm not all that fast with English language.
If you have any question, please ask.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WIP2_1.jpg (277.1 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg WIP2_2.jpg (184.8 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg WIP2_3.jpg (218.2 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg WIP2_4.jpg (215.7 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg WIP2_5.jpg (199.2 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg WIP2_6.jpg (208.0 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg WIP2_7.jpg (219.2 KB, 19 views)
Old 07-17-2009, 12:14 PM
FOUNDING FATHER

DarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati God

^^^

Wow,
ANYTHING on how you achieve your results is appreciated. I admit to having a resistance to using oil colors? Yet I guess I understand that they allow you those results which other mediums wouldn't?
I've only used oils a few times- can you tell me, how much do you "thin" your oils to apply them and with what? Then I once noticed that oils seem to take forever to dry and you mentioned an "oven". What should I suspect for drying time and how much is it effected by the ratio of thinning it and what do you use- turpenoid, for instance?

Sorry for so many questions, but you've already been helpful and I'm curious.

And thank you if you say that English is a challenge? I wouldn't have known that from your writing so far, very clear and well done.
Old 07-17-2009, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthDuck View Post
^^^
Wow,
ANYTHING on how you achieve your results is appreciated. I admit to having a resistance to using oil colors? Yet I guess I understand that they allow you those results which other mediums wouldn't?
Well, I think that that the best results can be achieved only by using various techniques. Oil colors is only one of them. But keep in mind that I'm not a great expert in painting with oil colors.

Quote:
I've only used oils a few times- can you tell me, how much do you "thin" your oils to apply them and with what?
I thin oils with odorless turpentine ... well at least I think that this is the english name for "acquaragia inodore"...
You can also use white spirit. Definitely don't use linseed oil.
I add very little thinner because I aim to a creamy consistence. Too much thinner and you can't pull colors in the right way.

Quote:
Then I once noticed that oils seem to take forever to dry and you mentioned an "oven". What should I suspect for drying time and how much is it effected by the ratio of thinning it and what do you use- turpenoid, for instance?
Two tricks here. First: don't use classic oil colors, but alkydic colors. They use alkydic resin in place of linseed oil as medium and the drying time is much lower: one day or something like that. But here come the second trick: an oven to speed up drying time. I built an "oven" with a shoes box and a 60W (or less) incandescence lamp. This gives you an oven not so hot that will dry your colors in one or two hours. The oven is great even to speed up curing time of epoxies. But pay attention to the temperature, expecially if you put plastic (polystyrene) pieces in the oven. I use a digital thermometer to control the temperature and I slightly open the box to let some warm air to escape and avoid too high temperatures.

Quote:
Sorry for so many questions, but you've already been helpful and I'm curious.
Always happy of being of some help !
Old 07-17-2009, 03:41 PM
FOUNDING FATHER

^^^^

Yay! More great tips!

Thanks!
Old 07-17-2009, 06:50 PM
Mostly Harmless

777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God

That's some very helpful tips ALB - thanks for posting!
Old 05-25-2010, 06:19 AM

jestefarean will become famous soon enoughjestefarean will become famous soon enoughjestefarean will become famous soon enough

Gorgeous!
Old 06-02-2010, 01:16 AM

Location: Corellia, just south of Mandalor, north of Tatooine, east of Coruscant and west of Gotham City.
Boxster has a brilliant futureBoxster has a brilliant futureBoxster has a brilliant futureBoxster has a brilliant futureBoxster has a brilliant futureBoxster has a brilliant futureBoxster has a brilliant futureBoxster has a brilliant futureBoxster has a brilliant futureBoxster has a brilliant futureBoxster has a brilliant future

Very nice works done there!

B
Old 06-02-2010, 05:12 AM

Thank you very much guys !

ALB-LAB