Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > Works in Progress > Sci-Fi and Fantasy

Sci-Fi and Fantasy Sci-Fi and Fantasy WIPs

Old 01-06-2011, 06:30 AM

Firefox M31 is a splendid one to beholdFirefox M31 is a splendid one to beholdFirefox M31 is a splendid one to beholdFirefox M31 is a splendid one to beholdFirefox M31 is a splendid one to beholdFirefox M31 is a splendid one to beholdFirefox M31 is a splendid one to beholdFirefox M31 is a splendid one to beholdFirefox M31 is a splendid one to beholdFirefox M31 is a splendid one to beholdFirefox M31 is a splendid one to behold
Talking fantasy train....SUPERTRAIN from the 1979 short lived tv series

Hi all,
It's been a while since I posted here, so how bout something completely different. I take you back to 1979, I was a kid and used to watch a lot of tv when I wasn't down hunting sharks teeth. I had a few favorite shows, but this one obscure spin off of Love Boat spawned an interest. The show was called Supertrain and featured various celebrities and their crisis situations aboard a train wider than Manhattan . I was immediately drawn to the train itself and stumbled through each episode to see glimpses of the train in action. As I was scratch building by this time I even built a model of the train about three foot long. I remember the model being made of wood tapered end, and another piece of wood cut at an angle representing the second deck. It was very basic in shape but it was my supertrain, I was happy. As of a few years ago I did a cad drawing of the train based on any and all reference I could find. I thought this was ready to go for a model, boy was I wrong. I was talking to a gentleman named Darren Peters on a completely different project when he mentioned that there were a few replicas he;d like to see made, and he made the mistake of mentioning Supertrain. This started a crazy project to make this thing in O scale. We've been going back and forth the last few months correcting my drawings to make patterns for a replica of this magnitude. I finally was able to make the nose pattern bulkheads and strong back which I sent off to Darren to make the nose master pattern bucks for vacuforming. pics shown, it's pretty big, making a nine car train just under fifteen foot long. The locomotive is almost two foot long itself. In the mean time, I decided to try and make a wrap to detail the train using my new cad drawing. This gave me the idea for a small, OK tiny, 1:450 version to maybe be powered and run on t scale track laid between n scale track, lol. told ya it's wide. so here's the pics of progress...enjoy and would love any feedback on this project...So who else liked this show, err train

Cheers,
Will
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cone1.jpg (352.3 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg cone2.jpg (313.5 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg cone5.jpg (219.3 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg ST_1.jpg (209.0 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg ST_4.jpg (185.8 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg ST_6.jpg (220.9 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg ST_7.jpg (2.60 MB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg ST_8small.jpg (241.1 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg ST_9small.jpg (262.6 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg ST_11small.jpg (220.7 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg ST_12small.jpg (279.3 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg ST_13small.jpg (238.5 KB, 45 views)
Old 01-06-2011, 06:35 AM
It's gonna get real now.

The Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati God
Default Re: fantasy train....SUPERTRAIN from the 1979 short lived tv series

I remember that show - I liked it and the train fascinated me - and I can't wait to see more from your project!
Old 01-06-2011, 07:10 AM

bellerophon has a brilliant futurebellerophon has a brilliant futurebellerophon has a brilliant futurebellerophon has a brilliant futurebellerophon has a brilliant futurebellerophon has a brilliant futurebellerophon has a brilliant futurebellerophon has a brilliant futurebellerophon has a brilliant futurebellerophon has a brilliant futurebellerophon has a brilliant future

Cooool, like your other stuff !!
Old 01-06-2011, 07:30 AM
Normality Restored

beeblebrox666 Resin Illuminati Godbeeblebrox666 Resin Illuminati Godbeeblebrox666 Resin Illuminati Godbeeblebrox666 Resin Illuminati Godbeeblebrox666 Resin Illuminati Godbeeblebrox666 Resin Illuminati Godbeeblebrox666 Resin Illuminati Godbeeblebrox666 Resin Illuminati Godbeeblebrox666 Resin Illuminati Godbeeblebrox666 Resin Illuminati Godbeeblebrox666 Resin Illuminati God

Looking good Will.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:54 AM

GDS_Starfury is a splendid one to beholdGDS_Starfury is a splendid one to beholdGDS_Starfury is a splendid one to beholdGDS_Starfury is a splendid one to beholdGDS_Starfury is a splendid one to beholdGDS_Starfury is a splendid one to beholdGDS_Starfury is a splendid one to beholdGDS_Starfury is a splendid one to beholdGDS_Starfury is a splendid one to beholdGDS_Starfury is a splendid one to beholdGDS_Starfury is a splendid one to behold

I imagine you already found this but, if not, here ya go:
http://nbc_supertrain.tripod.com/id24.html
Old 01-06-2011, 11:24 AM

Firefox M31 is a splendid one to beholdFirefox M31 is a splendid one to beholdFirefox M31 is a splendid one to beholdFirefox M31 is a splendid one to beholdFirefox M31 is a splendid one to beholdFirefox M31 is a splendid one to beholdFirefox M31 is a splendid one to beholdFirefox M31 is a splendid one to beholdFirefox M31 is a splendid one to beholdFirefox M31 is a splendid one to beholdFirefox M31 is a splendid one to behold

yup, that's where we got all the reference...mostly the publicity collection

Last edited by Firefox M31; 01-06-2011 at 11:25 AM.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:44 PM

this casting turned out much better... I'm thinking I'll be putting my little motor driven unit in the first passenger car, unless it fits the locomotive.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ST_16small.jpg (195.1 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg ST_17large.jpg (239.6 KB, 33 views)
Old 01-06-2011, 11:45 PM

dilbertman is a splendid one to beholddilbertman is a splendid one to beholddilbertman is a splendid one to beholddilbertman is a splendid one to beholddilbertman is a splendid one to beholddilbertman is a splendid one to beholddilbertman is a splendid one to beholddilbertman is a splendid one to beholddilbertman is a splendid one to beholddilbertman is a splendid one to beholddilbertman is a splendid one to behold

32 years earlier.

http://blog.modernmechanix.com/2008/...-up-railroads/

Jim
Old 01-09-2011, 01:41 AM

Ok,
I'm finally happy with the Supertrain locomotive master pattern casting. With this under my belt, I spent all night finishing up the bulk head patterns for the club car, luggage car, a main car, and a caboose/pool/lounge car. I also tried a new vinyl wrap for the club car to see how she'll look...This is going to be super cool. The main car gets repeated for 4 additional cars for a grand total 9 cars to the train, including the locomotive. So with all the bulk heads cut and glued up for each individual passenger car , it's just a matter of smoothing up the basic shapes then add the wraps for the final pattern finishes :mrgreen: I'd show ya pics , but left my camera at the shop, figures...lol
Old 01-10-2011, 09:33 AM

here are the pics i meant to take the other day...it's a work in progress, but at least here you can see how the vinyl wrap works

Will
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ST_18small.jpg (345.1 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg ST_19small.jpg (271.2 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg ST_21small.jpg (260.2 KB, 31 views)
Old 01-11-2011, 11:50 AM

well it was a long night, but she's ready for molding...Smile I think she turned out awesome Smile

smoothing the blanks for the vinyl wraps..lots of sanding

applying putty to get a smooth finish

basic blanks all smoothed and showing the overall train

here's a wrap ready to apply

all wrapped, I like this Very Happy

passenger car wraps all applied

top details added

ready to mold Very Happy

so what ya all think of this little one????
Will
Old 01-11-2011, 05:40 PM
Studio Scale Pack Rat

Richard_2001 Overlord Master of AllRichard_2001 Overlord Master of AllRichard_2001 Overlord Master of AllRichard_2001 Overlord Master of AllRichard_2001 Overlord Master of AllRichard_2001 Overlord Master of AllRichard_2001 Overlord Master of AllRichard_2001 Overlord Master of AllRichard_2001 Overlord Master of AllRichard_2001 Overlord Master of AllRichard_2001 Overlord Master of All

Will,

I like it a lot! It looks great, very ingenious on the vinyl wrap!

RIchard

Last edited by Richard_2001; 01-11-2011 at 05:40 PM.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:02 PM
Mostly Harmless

777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God

Those wraps are making your already outstanding work just pop. Very nice!
Old 01-16-2011, 04:55 PM

glad ya like em.....ok, here are the first test casts. I just bake the mold to remove the alcohol again so the next castings should be even better...but these look pretty good too, minus the bit of resin leeching on the back...
Will
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ST_31small.jpg (298.6 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg ST_32small.jpg (237.6 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg ST_33small.jpg (273.1 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg ST_34small.jpg (212.8 KB, 23 views)
Old 01-17-2011, 11:49 PM

new master castings to make a full train of all nine cars, pretty cool ehh... Very Happy

Will
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ST_35small.jpg (275.1 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg ST_36small.jpg (266.2 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg ST_37small.jpg (254.4 KB, 27 views)