Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > The Oratory > General Science Fiction Discussion

General Science Fiction Discussion For all Sci-Fi Series, Books, Movies, and TV

Old 07-01-2009, 03:13 PM

Bishop37 has a reputation beyond reputeBishop37 has a reputation beyond reputeBishop37 has a reputation beyond reputeBishop37 has a reputation beyond reputeBishop37 has a reputation beyond reputeBishop37 has a reputation beyond reputeBishop37 has a reputation beyond reputeBishop37 has a reputation beyond reputeBishop37 has a reputation beyond reputeBishop37 has a reputation beyond reputeBishop37 has a reputation beyond repute
Default The Making of ST:TMP

http://drexfiles.wordpress.com/2009/...-sttmp-pt-1-2/
Old 07-01-2009, 03:45 PM
One-trek Mind

Trekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati God
Default Re: The Making of ST:TMP

That's cool to see those old school effects techniques. It just kills me to see them blowing up that Klingon ship though. I'd have loved to have had one of those models back then.

"I'm afraid the guilty party is in for a very severe punishment."
Old 07-01-2009, 04:40 PM

Bishop37 has a reputation beyond reputeBishop37 has a reputation beyond reputeBishop37 has a reputation beyond reputeBishop37 has a reputation beyond reputeBishop37 has a reputation beyond reputeBishop37 has a reputation beyond reputeBishop37 has a reputation beyond reputeBishop37 has a reputation beyond reputeBishop37 has a reputation beyond reputeBishop37 has a reputation beyond reputeBishop37 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekriffic View Post
That's cool to see those old school effects techniques. It just kills me to see them blowing up that Klingon ship though. I'd have loved to have had one of those models back then.
I'm of the opinion models should be blown up repeatedly in true Supermarionation style and then the remains set fire to!
Old 07-01-2009, 04:41 PM

rider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati God

Holy crap! This is mega awesome, I just warp speeded in my pantcelles
Old 07-01-2009, 04:44 PM

GKvfx has disabled reputation

Quote:
Apparently, those were castings off of the TOS Klingon ship. Once those experiments failed (and failed they did), Abel and co. realized they would have to go bigger. Hence the 48" miniature (though by the time they got that built they had abandoned the idea of blowing up a model and decided that any "explosion" would involve an optical).

Gene
Old 07-01-2009, 04:56 PM
One-trek Mind

Trekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati God

Just as well. I like the static electricity effect they used for V'Ger absorbing them better.

"I'm afraid the guilty party is in for a very severe punishment."
Old 07-01-2009, 05:30 PM

GKvfx has disabled reputation

Quote:
Just as well. I like the static electricity effect they used for V'Ger absorbing them better.
Actually, there are some neat ideas in the Klingon ship sequence that Abel had to abandon. Looking at the original boards, there was supposed to be a lot more "evasive maneuvers" and a feeling of speed and mass. The Klingon ships were going to roll more and one ship was going to have it's warp engine blown off and just drift dead in space.

Along the way, the concept of the whiplash bolts changed to a digitizing effect and, overall, the entire sequence was simplified (due to schedule pressures) by Apogee.......

Maybe we can persuade Darren Dochterman to do some animatics/pre-viz based on the original boards.

Gene
Old 07-01-2009, 11:15 PM
It's gonna get real now.

The Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati God

Persis was gorgeous.
Old 07-02-2009, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cat View Post
Persis was gorgeous.
Indeed she was.
Old 07-02-2009, 01:54 AM
Goldmember

R L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati God

Yeah... kinda breaks your heart to watch her start crying when they started shaving off all of that beautiful hair. God doesn't often put THAT kind of beauty on the planet. But when He does... man.
Old 07-02-2009, 04:30 AM
Mostly Harmless

777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God
Wink Re: The Making of ST:TMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay View Post
The amazing thing about her is she didn't need hair to be gorgeous. She looked every bit as beautiful without hair as she did with.
Holy crap, was mixing my threads up and thought Jay was referring to the "Welp!" thread!
Old 07-02-2009, 07:08 AM
Not to scale

robn1 Overlord Master of Allrobn1 Overlord Master of Allrobn1 Overlord Master of Allrobn1 Overlord Master of Allrobn1 Overlord Master of Allrobn1 Overlord Master of Allrobn1 Overlord Master of Allrobn1 Overlord Master of Allrobn1 Overlord Master of Allrobn1 Overlord Master of Allrobn1 Overlord Master of All

These videos are great, it's amazing how much still hasn't been seen before.

Persis, pics damnit pics!

Persis was cast as Ilia for the Phase 2 series, she wore a bald cap for this costume test.

Old 07-02-2009, 07:19 AM
It's gonna get real now.

The Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati God

Quote:
Originally Posted by 777 View Post
Holy crap, was mixing my threads up and thought Jay was referring to the "Welp!" thread!
What Welp thread???
Old 07-02-2009, 03:13 PM
Nothing like Tig ole' Bitties!

BB43MAN Overlord Master of AllBB43MAN Overlord Master of AllBB43MAN Overlord Master of AllBB43MAN Overlord Master of AllBB43MAN Overlord Master of AllBB43MAN Overlord Master of AllBB43MAN Overlord Master of AllBB43MAN Overlord Master of AllBB43MAN Overlord Master of AllBB43MAN Overlord Master of AllBB43MAN Overlord Master of All

It was sad that we lost her so early in her life. She was a beautiful woman.