Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > The Oratory > General Science Fiction Discussion

General Science Fiction Discussion For all Sci-Fi Series, Books, Movies, and TV

Old 05-09-2009, 04:02 AM
FOUNDING FATHER

DarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati God
Default Re: How much money will the new Star Trek movie take in this weekend?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fokkerpilot View Post
Saw it this afternoon and all I can say is "Awesome"!!! A definite 4 out of 4 and I will be going back to see it again once the crowds subside.
And yes, I really look forward to a 1:350 or larger scale version of this ship.

I'm still looking forward to it!

Just so I know what to expect- when you say "four outa four"- what would that be like on a five scale?

Old 05-09-2009, 05:18 AM

79 daytona Resin Illuminati God79 daytona Resin Illuminati God79 daytona Resin Illuminati God79 daytona Resin Illuminati God79 daytona Resin Illuminati God79 daytona Resin Illuminati God79 daytona Resin Illuminati God79 daytona Resin Illuminati God79 daytona Resin Illuminati God79 daytona Resin Illuminati God79 daytona Resin Illuminati God

Well me and my brother are going to see it tonight we still have mix feelings about the new look of the Enterprise but we really look forward to seeing the movie.
Old 05-09-2009, 05:32 AM
On Vacation

fokkerpilot has disabled reputation

Let's say 4.5 out of 5. Although there is plenty of ship to be shown, I could have used one of those extended "fly-arounds" as was done with Scotty and Kirk in TMP. I really detected sequel on this one as I walked out of the theater!!!! Damn, it feels good to see Trek revived - even the kids in my neighborhood are talking about it and that is a good sign.

Now where is the 1:350 version of this (or larger) coming out. Me gots ideas!!!

Note: 5-9-09 0825: watching CNN HLN as I type this, the entertainment report said that some of the actors have already signed on for another 2 to 3 movies!!

Last edited by fokkerpilot; 05-09-2009 at 09:20 AM.
Old 05-09-2009, 05:39 AM
the Vinyl Frontier

Aztek Dummy has a reputation beyond reputeAztek Dummy has a reputation beyond reputeAztek Dummy has a reputation beyond reputeAztek Dummy has a reputation beyond reputeAztek Dummy has a reputation beyond reputeAztek Dummy has a reputation beyond reputeAztek Dummy has a reputation beyond reputeAztek Dummy has a reputation beyond reputeAztek Dummy has a reputation beyond reputeAztek Dummy has a reputation beyond reputeAztek Dummy has a reputation beyond repute

Yup, It's pretty much standard in franchise films to sign on for the first three at the same time.

Let's talk sequel.. While i do want to see a fresh original story, a big part of me would LOVE to see the main plot of "where no man has gone before" with Pike in stead of Gary Mitchell. Imagine what Greenwood could do with that role... and you would have good meaty drama with Pine and Quinto clashing over stranding Pike or killing him before he got too powerful..

the final scene would show the defeated and mentally crippled Pike being brought out in his famous chair, only being able to beep once for yes, twice for no...

powerful drama, great thematic elements and a nod to the classic

and that's what i would do if I ran the show
Old 05-09-2009, 09:25 AM
I AM YOUR FATHER

vaderman1701 has a brilliant futurevaderman1701 has a brilliant futurevaderman1701 has a brilliant futurevaderman1701 has a brilliant futurevaderman1701 has a brilliant futurevaderman1701 has a brilliant futurevaderman1701 has a brilliant futurevaderman1701 has a brilliant futurevaderman1701 has a brilliant futurevaderman1701 has a brilliant futurevaderman1701 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by fokkerpilot View Post
Let's say 4.5 out of 5. Although there is plenty of ship to be shown, I could have used one of those extended "fly-arounds" as was done with Scotty and Kirk in TMP. I really detected sequel on this one as I walked out of the theater!!!! Damn, it feels good to see Trek revived - even the kids in my neighborhood are talking about it and that is a good sign.

Now where is the 1:350 version of this (or larger) coming out. Me gots ideas!!!

Note: 5-9-09 0825: watching CNN HLN as I type this, the entertainment report said that some of the actors have already signed on for another 2 to 3 movies!!
I hear you.

http://www.quantummechanix.com/Star_Trek.html

Not a kit, but I am sure one will be on the way after the success of this movie.

In regards to how much it will make..If Wolverine can make $87M in its opening weekend, I don't see why Star Trek does not blow that number away.

Scott

Keeping Garage Kits Alive!

Old 05-09-2009, 09:53 AM
Fear is the Mind Killer.

Padawan v 2.5 Resin Illuminati GodPadawan v 2.5 Resin Illuminati GodPadawan v 2.5 Resin Illuminati GodPadawan v 2.5 Resin Illuminati GodPadawan v 2.5 Resin Illuminati GodPadawan v 2.5 Resin Illuminati GodPadawan v 2.5 Resin Illuminati GodPadawan v 2.5 Resin Illuminati GodPadawan v 2.5 Resin Illuminati GodPadawan v 2.5 Resin Illuminati GodPadawan v 2.5 Resin Illuminati God

AP is reporting a $7m take for advanced screenings on Thursday. That's a really good sign, as Iron Man only took in $4m, and we all know that one did well.

P@T

My model club: www.fpkclub.com

"Pat is more like a good explosion. First, you wonder what the hell happened. Then, you realize what it was. Then, you often find yourself wishing it would happen again, depending on the target." LDB
Old 05-09-2009, 05:33 PM
Nothing like Tig ole' Bitties!

BB43MAN Overlord Master of AllBB43MAN Overlord Master of AllBB43MAN Overlord Master of AllBB43MAN Overlord Master of AllBB43MAN Overlord Master of AllBB43MAN Overlord Master of AllBB43MAN Overlord Master of AllBB43MAN Overlord Master of AllBB43MAN Overlord Master of AllBB43MAN Overlord Master of AllBB43MAN Overlord Master of All

OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, FRAK, FRAK, FRAK, FRAK, FRAK, HOLY SHIT, HOLY SHIT, HOLY SHIT, HOLY SHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I LOVED IT!!!!!!!!! I had to go home and change my shorts! Man, 10 out of 10 stars!!! (the movie...not my shorts!) This is going to be a great revival of Trek! Went this morning, going again tommorow morning, may go in the middle of the week, and then next weekend!

SPOILERS:::

I loved the fly-around pull-back where you can see Pike, Kirk and Spock through the bridge window as they leave for the drilling rig/Nerada. COOL!!!!

I kind of liked Chekov and his accent. That could grow on me.

LOVED SPOCK!!!! Quinto gives this spock a home run.

Pine as Kirk! Wow!!!! I loved him in Bottle Shock and this just ramps up his stock with me!

I could get used to this ENTERPRISE! The only quibble I have is maybe next time they could spring for a true engineering section instead of a Budweiser brewery, or whatever the hell that place was.

I got choked up when George Kirk sacrificed his life for all the others. When McCoy mentioned his divorce took everything except his bones.....man, I just about fell over. "Are you out of your Vulcan mind?" Classic and perfect!!!!!!

God, I could go on and on. I can't wait to see it again to pick up all I missed. We had two elderly weezers that wouldn't shut the frak up! That, and another squeeky chair!!!

Please let this come out on DVD soon!
Old 05-09-2009, 07:45 PM
Count Baltar

birdtree Overlord Master of Allbirdtree Overlord Master of Allbirdtree Overlord Master of Allbirdtree Overlord Master of Allbirdtree Overlord Master of Allbirdtree Overlord Master of Allbirdtree Overlord Master of Allbirdtree Overlord Master of Allbirdtree Overlord Master of Allbirdtree Overlord Master of Allbirdtree Overlord Master of All

Its one of the best movies I have seen in a long time.

I loved it.

Mark
Old 05-10-2009, 12:27 AM

79 daytona Resin Illuminati God79 daytona Resin Illuminati God79 daytona Resin Illuminati God79 daytona Resin Illuminati God79 daytona Resin Illuminati God79 daytona Resin Illuminati God79 daytona Resin Illuminati God79 daytona Resin Illuminati God79 daytona Resin Illuminati God79 daytona Resin Illuminati God79 daytona Resin Illuminati God

Well me and my brother just got back from seeing the movie and i have to say very COOL!! Iam still not crazy about the look of the Enterprise but i can live with it and i just about hit the floor laughing when i heard what Scotty said about the Enterprise just before him and Kirk beaned on board.

And just as the movie ended some guy got up and said out loud MAN THEY REWROTE STAR TREK, i guess he was'nt to crazy about the movie.
Old 05-10-2009, 12:05 PM
Fear is the Mind Killer.

Padawan v 2.5 Resin Illuminati GodPadawan v 2.5 Resin Illuminati GodPadawan v 2.5 Resin Illuminati GodPadawan v 2.5 Resin Illuminati GodPadawan v 2.5 Resin Illuminati GodPadawan v 2.5 Resin Illuminati GodPadawan v 2.5 Resin Illuminati GodPadawan v 2.5 Resin Illuminati GodPadawan v 2.5 Resin Illuminati GodPadawan v 2.5 Resin Illuminati GodPadawan v 2.5 Resin Illuminati God

Reports put the weekend take at $72.5m. When Thursday is included the total is $76m.

P@T

My model club: www.fpkclub.com

"Pat is more like a good explosion. First, you wonder what the hell happened. Then, you realize what it was. Then, you often find yourself wishing it would happen again, depending on the target." LDB
Old 05-10-2009, 01:21 PM

Kolschey is a splendid one to beholdKolschey is a splendid one to beholdKolschey is a splendid one to beholdKolschey is a splendid one to beholdKolschey is a splendid one to beholdKolschey is a splendid one to beholdKolschey is a splendid one to beholdKolschey is a splendid one to beholdKolschey is a splendid one to beholdKolschey is a splendid one to beholdKolschey is a splendid one to behold

Wow. Just saw it this afternoon, and it ROCKED!

Get everyone on board for a sequel, and I am absolutely gonna have my ass in a seat for it.

This is everything I had hoped for. I am a very happy man today.

Old 05-11-2009, 06:41 AM
Resident JLH Groupie

DaGooseman Resin Illuminati GodDaGooseman Resin Illuminati GodDaGooseman Resin Illuminati GodDaGooseman Resin Illuminati GodDaGooseman Resin Illuminati GodDaGooseman Resin Illuminati GodDaGooseman Resin Illuminati GodDaGooseman Resin Illuminati GodDaGooseman Resin Illuminati GodDaGooseman Resin Illuminati GodDaGooseman Resin Illuminati God

And the tally is $76.5 million for the opening weekend. Not bad, but also not real great for a sci-fi/action movie (as compared to Dark Knight or Iron Man)

The problem with America is stupidity. Now I don't believe in capital punishment for stupidity. However, I think we should just take all the safety labels off everything and let Mother Nature fix the problem herself.

Old 05-11-2009, 07:26 AM
the Vinyl Frontier

Aztek Dummy has a reputation beyond reputeAztek Dummy has a reputation beyond reputeAztek Dummy has a reputation beyond reputeAztek Dummy has a reputation beyond reputeAztek Dummy has a reputation beyond reputeAztek Dummy has a reputation beyond reputeAztek Dummy has a reputation beyond reputeAztek Dummy has a reputation beyond reputeAztek Dummy has a reputation beyond reputeAztek Dummy has a reputation beyond reputeAztek Dummy has a reputation beyond repute

and the spinning begins..

For a balanced look with added context

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=2585&p=.htm
Old 05-11-2009, 08:09 AM
Chef in Training

Talen has a reputation beyond reputeTalen has a reputation beyond reputeTalen has a reputation beyond reputeTalen has a reputation beyond reputeTalen has a reputation beyond reputeTalen has a reputation beyond reputeTalen has a reputation beyond reputeTalen has a reputation beyond reputeTalen has a reputation beyond reputeTalen has a reputation beyond reputeTalen has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGooseman View Post
And the tally is $76.5 million for the opening weekend. Not bad, but also not real great for a sci-fi/action movie (as compared to Dark Knight or Iron Man)
From what I read, it beat Dark Knight's opening weekend
Old 05-11-2009, 08:54 AM
Glacial Pace Builder

LastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati God

I'm sure it will stay in theatres longer and pull a lot more money than Iron Man. I'd never even heard of Iron Man before the movie came out. Trek has much wider appeal and staying power IMHO.

Mike, Oz