Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > The Oratory > General Science Fiction Discussion

General Science Fiction Discussion For all Sci-Fi Series, Books, Movies, and TV

Old 05-11-2009, 04:51 PM
the Vinyl Frontier

Aztek Dummy has a reputation beyond reputeAztek Dummy has a reputation beyond reputeAztek Dummy has a reputation beyond reputeAztek Dummy has a reputation beyond reputeAztek Dummy has a reputation beyond reputeAztek Dummy has a reputation beyond reputeAztek Dummy has a reputation beyond reputeAztek Dummy has a reputation beyond reputeAztek Dummy has a reputation beyond reputeAztek Dummy has a reputation beyond reputeAztek Dummy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Star Trek movie SPOILER thread! DO NOT READ if you haven't seen the film!!!!

it wasn't a ceti eel..they called it a centarian slug. looked more like those pink beasties from the TNG ep "conspiracy"

went in thru the mouth, not in the ear. excreted truth serum, didn't wrap itself around the cerebral cortex

was "buffalo wing" flavored not "extra crispy" --OK, I made that last one up
Old 05-11-2009, 04:55 PM
It's gonna get real now.

The Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati God
Default Re: The Star Trek movie SPOILER thread! DO NOT READ if you haven't seen the film!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztek Dummy View Post
it wasn't a ceti eel..they called it a centarian slug. looked more like those pink beasties from the TNG ep "conspiracy"

went in thru the mouth, not in the ear. excreted truth serum, didn't wrap itself around the cerebral cortex

was "buffalo wing" flavored not "extra crispy" --OK, I made that last one up

AH - I was close but no cigar.

Thanks, Mister Dummy

Just think - it shits truth.
Old 05-11-2009, 05:24 PM
...By the power of Grayskull

Raist3001 Resin Illuminati GodRaist3001 Resin Illuminati GodRaist3001 Resin Illuminati GodRaist3001 Resin Illuminati GodRaist3001 Resin Illuminati GodRaist3001 Resin Illuminati GodRaist3001 Resin Illuminati GodRaist3001 Resin Illuminati GodRaist3001 Resin Illuminati GodRaist3001 Resin Illuminati GodRaist3001 Resin Illuminati God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Out Of Time View Post
Say what you will about Enterprise... I loved that show. And I'm glad that the movie gave a nod to it in an off-handed way
Oh heck YEA!!

I love Enterprise and was so thrilled for the nod.

I loved this film in almost every way.

Old 05-11-2009, 10:33 PM
Apprentice Curmudgeon

darkwanderer is a splendid one to beholddarkwanderer is a splendid one to beholddarkwanderer is a splendid one to beholddarkwanderer is a splendid one to beholddarkwanderer is a splendid one to beholddarkwanderer is a splendid one to beholddarkwanderer is a splendid one to beholddarkwanderer is a splendid one to beholddarkwanderer is a splendid one to beholddarkwanderer is a splendid one to beholddarkwanderer is a splendid one to behold

During the final credits, the TOS theme started up and the crowd went wild. Clapping, cheering and whistling. You'd have thought it was the Star Spangled Banner being played at a pro ball game.
Old 05-12-2009, 09:33 AM
Trapped in Club Vandersexxx

Godfather Overlord Master of AllGodfather Overlord Master of AllGodfather Overlord Master of AllGodfather Overlord Master of AllGodfather Overlord Master of AllGodfather Overlord Master of AllGodfather Overlord Master of AllGodfather Overlord Master of AllGodfather Overlord Master of AllGodfather Overlord Master of AllGodfather Overlord Master of All

My fav scene of the whole movie was when the Vulcan council gives young Spock crap because of his human mother and he turns the thing around and pretty much tells them to fuck off (in a Vulcan way ) 'cuz he's now going to join Starfleet.

::

Kinda reminded me of this scene from Half Baked:

Last edited by Godfather; 05-12-2009 at 09:39 AM.
Old 05-12-2009, 09:51 AM
Nothing like Tig ole' Bitties!

BB43MAN Overlord Master of AllBB43MAN Overlord Master of AllBB43MAN Overlord Master of AllBB43MAN Overlord Master of AllBB43MAN Overlord Master of AllBB43MAN Overlord Master of AllBB43MAN Overlord Master of AllBB43MAN Overlord Master of AllBB43MAN Overlord Master of AllBB43MAN Overlord Master of AllBB43MAN Overlord Master of All

Fav quotes.

"I feel funny! I feel like I'm leaking!"

"Is the parking brake on?"

"AAAHHH!!! Thop Thit!!!"

"Hi, Christopher, I'm Nero."

Fav scenes,

1. The E pulling away from dock with the other starships. I want to see a closer look at the twin nacelle/secondary hull ship.

2. The flyover of the E when the cadets come aboard for the first time!

3. Spock telling the Vulcan High "whatever", because they insulted his mother, that he's joining Starfleet.

4. The interior of the Katrick Ark. Way cool nod to the Katra!

5. The sound of the transporter when it fired up!

6. The silence when they performed the sky-dive assault.

7. Pike. Anything with Pike! Loved the actor and the character.

8. Hell, the whole movie!!!!!

Seen it three times, going again this week!!!!

I hope the DVD has a tons of extras!
Old 05-12-2009, 11:12 AM
the Vinyl Frontier

Aztek Dummy has a reputation beyond reputeAztek Dummy has a reputation beyond reputeAztek Dummy has a reputation beyond reputeAztek Dummy has a reputation beyond reputeAztek Dummy has a reputation beyond reputeAztek Dummy has a reputation beyond reputeAztek Dummy has a reputation beyond reputeAztek Dummy has a reputation beyond reputeAztek Dummy has a reputation beyond reputeAztek Dummy has a reputation beyond reputeAztek Dummy has a reputation beyond repute

Katrick Ark?

I've seen the film 4 times and I still tought he was saying "the Catchercark"

I didn't know what that meant, I figured it was a name for the place like "the forge"

good to know
Old 05-12-2009, 12:13 PM

steve1138 is a glorious beacon of lightsteve1138 is a glorious beacon of lightsteve1138 is a glorious beacon of lightsteve1138 is a glorious beacon of lightsteve1138 is a glorious beacon of lightsteve1138 is a glorious beacon of lightsteve1138 is a glorious beacon of lightsteve1138 is a glorious beacon of lightsteve1138 is a glorious beacon of lightsteve1138 is a glorious beacon of lightsteve1138 is a glorious beacon of light

Ok, I start by saying I liked the movie, and its pace and epic scope gave it that view in my eyes, here it comes..... BUT, There were some pretty wacky things that happened in this movie that just went unaddressed.

1. A romulan comes back in time to spocks far past to exact revenge? Then hangs around a in a ship that bigger than anything in that time period for 25YEARS, man thats alot of anger. and a hard ship to hide. Besides he only whacks one ship in that 25 years. If he was that mad and knew how much powerful his ship was over all the fleets of the alpha quadrant he could have layed waste to everything as soon as he got there. Why wait?

2. Why be mad at spock, what about the high council, they let everyone on romulus die for nothing. Spock was just trying to help. The Romulans weren't stupid, what were they doing to save the planet. This guy couldn't see that? They had to know long before that the sun was in trouble.

3. When They dropped off spock on the planet NEXT to vulcan, why didn't it get drawn into the black hole? It was damned close. And did spock use mental power on the hairless snowplanet monster, because a hand held torch probably wouldn't help.

4.Dont they have anybody on the design team for this movie that knows what the interior of a starship should look like? The romulan ship was a workers deathtrap, with no railing anywhere and all these multilevels built for spider monkeys. And the Enterprise engine room was just plain hilarious, they shot those scenes at some petroluem factory or some thing. The set was so big it could never fit inside the enterprise hull.

5. And finally, what is the deal with scotty, come on! They find the guy stuck away on an ice planet and as soon as they get onboard the enterprise, he's runnin' transports (put in charge even) of an engine room that I'm sure had a chief engineer when they left dry dock, and he's yelling I'm givin' ye all she got! Puleeeeze!

At most of these things I laughed mostley good naturedly but when they are all combined with other stuff that I won't illucidate, I came away thinking even though this was a fun movie, its definitely not going to be what the old star trek was. To me it was a show that give me some cool ships but also had a brain. They can hopefully remedy the brain part in the next movie. we'll see.
I'm sure folks will say so what it was still cool, and it was, but it seems the older I get the less I'm interested in the way movies are made nowadays. The TNG movies were definately boring compared to this one but I liked the way they thought out the tech in the older version.
Old 05-12-2009, 12:18 PM
It's gonna get real now.

The Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati God

I really can't contest any of those points except to add that in reel life Delta Vega would have been one hell of a lot further from Vulcan than that...

...Unless....

....that ice planet is one of those in the sky in the TMP Kolinahr sequence?

But still, that wouldn't be Delta Vega.
Old 05-12-2009, 01:52 PM
"I'm just a head."

DaveP has a brilliant futureDaveP has a brilliant futureDaveP has a brilliant futureDaveP has a brilliant futureDaveP has a brilliant futureDaveP has a brilliant futureDaveP has a brilliant futureDaveP has a brilliant futureDaveP has a brilliant futureDaveP has a brilliant futureDaveP has a brilliant future
Talking Re: The Star Trek movie SPOILER thread! DO NOT READ if you haven't seen the film!!!!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 00085818_.jpg (74.6 KB, 3 views)
Old 05-12-2009, 01:58 PM
Nothing like Tig ole' Bitties!

BB43MAN Overlord Master of AllBB43MAN Overlord Master of AllBB43MAN Overlord Master of AllBB43MAN Overlord Master of AllBB43MAN Overlord Master of AllBB43MAN Overlord Master of AllBB43MAN Overlord Master of AllBB43MAN Overlord Master of AllBB43MAN Overlord Master of AllBB43MAN Overlord Master of AllBB43MAN Overlord Master of All

From what I understand, the Katrack Ark is the place where the Katra (the living spirit) of deceased Vulcans are kept. The vulcan's there were having the Katra's transfered to their consciences, so they could be preserved. I thought the place looked beautiful, even though I'm pretty sure they filmed it on a blue screen soundstage.

In the answer to what Nero was doing for 25 years: He's out carousing around the galaxy getting his ship repaired and beefed up for the upcoming battle. Probably outfitting with more armament, shields, etc...

Who knows.

Regardless of the nitpicky things, (Vulcan's sky was blue in this movie!) I loved the movie and am looking forward for more!

Old 05-12-2009, 04:53 PM
the Vinyl Frontier

yes, Nero's activities were sacrificed for pacing and length of movie. More of an editing flaw than a story flaw. there was some clumsy ADR, but it still doesn't cover the disjointedness of the plot. agree 100%

plus you gotta remember from Nero's point of view, he exits a black hole and is immediately confronted with the Kelvin. takes heavy damage from the ramming ship. so that's going to put the hate on for the federation.

plus he's a miner, not a professional villian. he's not got grand illusions, he just wants everybody to share his pain
Old 05-12-2009, 08:29 PM

steve1138 is a glorious beacon of lightsteve1138 is a glorious beacon of lightsteve1138 is a glorious beacon of lightsteve1138 is a glorious beacon of lightsteve1138 is a glorious beacon of lightsteve1138 is a glorious beacon of lightsteve1138 is a glorious beacon of lightsteve1138 is a glorious beacon of lightsteve1138 is a glorious beacon of lightsteve1138 is a glorious beacon of lightsteve1138 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
plus he's a miner, not a professional villian. he's not got grand illusions, he just wants everybody to share his pain
Point taken about Nero, but his crew? They all must have been mouth breathers to follow this dude for that long with no good reason.

Quote:
he exits a black hole and is immediately confronted with the Kelvin. takes heavy damage from the ramming ship. so that's going to put the hate on for the federation.
I don't buy that one, he come out of the event horizon as the kelvin hails his ship, they didn't posture as if they were spoiling for a fight, his ship was 10 times larger. The only thing left for the kelvin was to ram his ship. To me this just boils down to not so good writing and editing.
I think the best part of the movie is the intro, but Nero's motivations are a very weak link.
But it just doesn't matter cuz the damn movie just busted 79 mil for the weekend. Its obvious people don't care about these things. And that disapoints me some, what it says to me is that they can feed ya anything as long as it shiny.

Oh yeah, I read in the post earlier about the corvette scene someone posted, That for me was just plain goofy. Just where did they get the gas for that car, they have fusion tech at that point but replicator tech wasn't advanced enough in kirks time to make gas appear was it? It would have been cooler if the car was modern to me. Besides I hate bratty kids in movies.
Old 05-13-2009, 07:45 AM

Raist3001 Resin Illuminati GodRaist3001 Resin Illuminati GodRaist3001 Resin Illuminati GodRaist3001 Resin Illuminati GodRaist3001 Resin Illuminati GodRaist3001 Resin Illuminati GodRaist3001 Resin Illuminati GodRaist3001 Resin Illuminati GodRaist3001 Resin Illuminati GodRaist3001 Resin Illuminati GodRaist3001 Resin Illuminati God

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1138 View Post
I don't buy that one, he come out of the event horizon as the kelvin hails his ship, they didn't posture as if they were spoiling for a fight, his ship was 10 times larger. The only thing left for the kelvin was to ram his ship. To me this just boils down to not so good writing and editing.
I disagree. For me, I was thinking Nero wanted information, which is why he opened fire on the Kelvin. He may have even thought it was Kirk's Ship. When he demanded the captains company, they indeed questioned him about Spock's ship and then of Spock. Nero may have thought Spock was on the Kelvin, a Federation ship. It was not until the Captain revealed the Star Date that Nero understood he was years too early.

It really helped me to understand Nero's motive by reading the Countdown series of comics. They really help to establish Nero's mind frame.

Old 05-13-2009, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Its obvious people don't care about these things. And that disapoints me some, what it says to me is that they can feed ya anything as long as it shiny.
Again, I disagree. There are plenty of explanations that can be applied and accepted by the fans. Where you may see poor writing, I may see a plausible explanation. And it never means that I have stopped caring about my beloved Trek