Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > Finished Models > Sci-Fi and Fantasy

Sci-Fi and Fantasy Finished Sci-Fi and Fantasy projects

Old 10-29-2013, 01:30 PM
One-trek Mind

Trekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati God
Default SS Botany Bay

This is the Botany Bay, a DY-100 class sleeper ship, built from the 1/350 scale Fantastic Plastic resin kit.
The model was mastered by our very own REL.
This is the first of two ships I'm building from this kit.
The model shown here will remain with me as part of my own collection.
The second one is still in progress and needs to be weathered before shipment to my client.
Yes, you heard right, my clent! You see, this is my first commission build...

IMG_5648 by trekriffic, on Flickr

IMG_5650 by trekriffic, on Flickr

IMG_5651 by trekriffic, on Flickr

IMG_5652 by trekriffic, on Flickr

IMG_5653 by trekriffic, on Flickr

IMG_5654 by trekriffic, on Flickr

IMG_5655 by trekriffic, on Flickr

IMG_5656 by trekriffic, on Flickr

The client is a big TOS Star Trek fan and wanted the model to resemble the original filming miniature as closely as possible based on the available photos he provided me of the original studio model. I built the first kit for myself as a "guinea pig" of sorts to try out and perfect various weathering techniques before moving on to the cleint's build.
The model will be placed inside an acrylic display case beside his Master Replicas TOS Enterprise.
Interestingly, this client also has the same model done in the "remastered" weathering style for him by RL Bleecker.
Knowing my work would be compared to Mr Bleecker's was a bit intimidating, but, the client likes what I did with my build so I'm confident he will be pleased with his ship when I'm done.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5537.JPG
Views:	151
Size:	342.5 KB
ID:	66519  

"I'm afraid the guilty party is in for a very severe punishment."

Last edited by Trekriffic; 10-29-2013 at 01:45 PM.
Old 10-30-2013, 03:12 PM
One-trek Mind

Trekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati God
Default Re: SS Botany Bay

Just a few more pics before I move on to the second BB.
The client asked for some views from above so here goes.
I also included one pic of the underside of the nuclear engine pod...

IMG_5658 by trekriffic, on Flickr

IMG_5659 by trekriffic, on Flickr

IMG_5660 by trekriffic, on Flickr

IMG_5661 by trekriffic, on Flickr

IMG_5662 by trekriffic, on Flickr

Those with a keen eye might notice the model is mounted to a different stand in these shots.
The original base was made per specific measurements provided by the client to fit inside a display case alongside his MR Enterprise.
As such his ship will be in a static pose not subject to rotation on it's support rod.
In the case of my ship it will be on a shelf and able to rotate so I wanted something larger as the model tends to tip over when oriented so the long axis of the ship is projecting over the narrowest portion of the stand.
I found a nice sized square wooden base at Michael's which solved the stability problem.

Old 11-18-2013, 09:21 AM
One-trek Mind

Well she's all done! Here are some pics of the client's ship...

IMG_5848 by trekriffic, on Flickr

IMG_5849 by trekriffic, on Flickr

IMG_5850 by trekriffic, on Flickr

IMG_5851 by trekriffic, on Flickr

IMG_5853 by trekriffic, on Flickr

IMG_5854 by trekriffic, on Flickr

IMG_5855 by trekriffic, on Flickr

IMG_5856 by trekriffic, on Flickr

IMG_5857 by trekriffic, on Flickr

IMG_5859 by trekriffic, on Flickr

IMG_5866 by trekriffic, on Flickr

And the two ship side-by-side with the clent's ship on the right...

IMG_5862 by trekriffic, on Flickr

IMG_5844 by trekriffic, on Flickr

IMG_5847 by trekriffic, on Flickr
Here's the shipping crate I built for transport...

IMG_5870 by trekriffic, on Flickr

Old 11-29-2013, 11:59 AM

srspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant future

Looks fantastic!!

Q= Are you going to add padding around the antennae? They could be damaged due to vibrations during shipping. I also recommend not shipping it on its stand, that could do damage as well. Just my 2. I've done a lot of shipping of this type of model. You know, the kind of model that you worked countless hours on and don't want the shippers to destroy?
Old 11-29-2013, 05:53 PM
One-trek Mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by srspicer View Post
Looks fantastic!!

Q= Are you going to add padding around the antennae? They could be damaged due to vibrations during shipping. I also recommend not shipping it on its stand, that could do damage as well. Just my 2. I've done a lot of shipping of this type of model. You know, the kind of model that you worked countless hours on and don't want the shippers to destroy?
The stern section is braced with foam blocks top and bottom and the model is wrapped inside a plastic bag so no foam directly contacts the model. The wooden box is being shipped inside a larger cardboard box filled with air bladders, bubble wrap, and styrofoam peanuts. The "solar" panels are very sturdy and are glued into the resin struts with JB Weld. I do not think there will be much vibration with all the padding between the model and box and between the box and the outer box. It's only going from the Bay Area to So Cal after all.

Last edited by Trekriffic; 11-29-2013 at 05:54 PM.
Old 11-30-2013, 11:11 PM
Normality Restored

beeblebrox666 Resin Illuminati Godbeeblebrox666 Resin Illuminati Godbeeblebrox666 Resin Illuminati Godbeeblebrox666 Resin Illuminati Godbeeblebrox666 Resin Illuminati Godbeeblebrox666 Resin Illuminati Godbeeblebrox666 Resin Illuminati Godbeeblebrox666 Resin Illuminati Godbeeblebrox666 Resin Illuminati Godbeeblebrox666 Resin Illuminati Godbeeblebrox666 Resin Illuminati God

An excellent job with the weathering. Looks like what I was trying on mine with the pics on Phil Broad's site.
Old 12-03-2013, 03:38 PM
One-trek Mind

Good news! The client received the package I sent out last Saturday and he was very pleased with it. No damage and he loved the weathering and finish. His son even said he liked it better than the one RL Bleeker made for his father from the same kit of the remastered Botany Bay. High praise indeed!