Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > Finished Models > Sci-Fi and Fantasy

Sci-Fi and Fantasy Finished Sci-Fi and Fantasy projects

Old 11-10-2013, 03:24 PM
Battlestar Triton

Griffworks has disabled reputation
Default My Son's Polar Lights 1/1000 TOS Enterprise's

Not too long ago, I sold off several of my models, which included a number of Trek kits for which I had multiple copies. One of those was the Polar Lights line of kits, most of which I picked up at HobbyLobby for under $10 each during their sales or coupon days.

Anyhow, my oldest son Daniel (13) asked me about three or four weeks ago if we could build one of my many Polar Lights 1/1000 Enterprise kits. My youngest - Ryan (7) - heard us talking about it and decided he wanted in on the fun, as well. Things over the last several weeks and weekends just didn't pan out, time-wise, tho we finally got to it today.

Now, I've built several kits with my oldest son, most of which were the Star Wars snap-tite kits. We did build a really nice Revell of Germany Republic Star Destroyer which I had hoped he would enter in a contest about two or three years back, but he ended up... well... destroying it, pretty much. He'd put a lot of effort into it, too - with my help, mostly guidance and very little hands-on - going so far as to have primed and painted the base coat, then masking - with some coaching - and then sealed it off really nicely. The only thing we didn't have dedicated was a stand, but I had that covered with a loaner.

Sadly, as mentioned, he pretty much destroyed it. It was about two months from the contest when we finished it, then he decided one day to put it into his backpack and take it to school to show off.

:sigh: Oh, well....

Anyhow, the boys wanted to build something, neither wanted to paint and the 1/1000 scale PL Trek kits are perfect for that. And I have a veritable plethora of them.

So, here's the pics. I did the majority of the work on my youngest son's kit, as he's 7 and these kits aren't 100% for kids that young. I let him put most of the stickers on it, tho. Ryan's was originally going to be the U.S.S. Enterprise production version and Daniel's was going to be the I.S.S. Enterprise. But when Ryan saw how kewel those Terran Empire symbols of the Sword thru the Earth looked, he changed his mind. To that end, I used my Xacto and cut off the stickers that need going, then we added the Terran Empire emblems. I went back and found some extra sticks in one of the boxes and used those to further Terran-fy his build.

The pics.

The happy fellas!

Neither build is screen accurate and I managed to reign in my Advanced Modelers Syndrome and didn't say a word about that. Well, not much... The important thing was for them to have some fun.

Four hours later and Ryan is still zooming his ship around the house, destroying "Bad Guys". What amazes me is that the model is still intact and the antenna for the dish is only slightly bent!

Daniel's is still in near-pristine condition, as well. No major issues and he's doing his best to keep everything perfect.

Had a lot of fun, even tho the kit is frustrating in some areas. Plus, always a pleasure to spend some time w/my boys.

As an added bonus, I'm doing my part to keep our hobby going.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TrekBoys02.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	335.6 KB
ID:	66768  

Itís advised that you thoroughly research those from whom you plan to purchase from Garage Kit Manufacturers that you donít know!

Last edited by Griffworks; 11-11-2013 at 09:41 AM.
Old 11-10-2013, 03:32 PM
It's gonna get real now.

The Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati God
Default Re: My Son's Polar Lights 1/1000 TOS Enterprise's

Future Gold winners

I love watching kids play with models. That's how they learn.
Old 11-10-2013, 08:06 PM
Glacial Pace Builder

LastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati God

Fantastic Jeffrey, great to see the kids appreciating the hobby! I cant imagine a greater pleasure for a father to pass on a hobby he loves to his kids. If we ever pop out some little Colonial cadets, Ill be doing the same thing.

Mike
Old 11-10-2013, 08:32 PM
BOING BOING BOING

allthumbs has a reputation beyond reputeallthumbs has a reputation beyond reputeallthumbs has a reputation beyond reputeallthumbs has a reputation beyond reputeallthumbs has a reputation beyond reputeallthumbs has a reputation beyond reputeallthumbs has a reputation beyond reputeallthumbs has a reputation beyond reputeallthumbs has a reputation beyond reputeallthumbs has a reputation beyond reputeallthumbs has a reputation beyond repute

super cool, dad!
Old 11-11-2013, 07:16 AM

ego1138 is a name known to allego1138 is a name known to allego1138 is a name known to allego1138 is a name known to allego1138 is a name known to allego1138 is a name known to allego1138 is a name known to allego1138 is a name known to allego1138 is a name known to allego1138 is a name known to allego1138 is a name known to all

Couldn't agree more . . . nice way to spend some father/son time.

My four year old DESPERATELY wants to do this with me, but obviously doesn't come close to even having skills yet for a snap-tite one.

Is cute though, I took him to a local model show two weekends back. And someone had entered a 1960's batmobile model. My little guy looks at it and says "Cool Dad, look, its the Adam West batmobile."

Guy on the other side of the table pipes up and says "excuse me, did he just say that's the ADAM WEST batmobile?"

I say yeah.

He just stands there for a second stunned, and says "YOU ARE THE BEST DAD EVER!!!"

EDIT: Sorry for the off-topic hijack, but, just felt the story was a hint relevant!

Last edited by ego1138; 11-11-2013 at 07:16 AM.
Old 11-11-2013, 09:31 AM
acceptus est impugnatio

Raytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati God

Jeff, that's bloody brilliant my friend!
They might not be 100% for kids that young but damn it, they are willing to have a go at it and that's ALWAYS worth a in my book fella

Top notch wee fellas both of 'em!

Ego1138, if I may be so bold, your boy may not have the skills for a snap tite one but no reason that your larger mits can't help him out. Let him have a go and see what occours.

To tell one of my own tales, not son related as to my knowledge I have no children.
If it turns out I do then the Durex corp will get a rather testy communication but I digress...

Many moons ago, a young fella probably 7 or 8 years old, came in to one model shop I used to frequent. He had built an old airfix 1/32nd car (I think it was) given it a white and flame paint job, put mesh in the windows and glued what looked like an inverted 1/72nd P-51 radiator housing to the bonnet (hood).

It was less than well assembled and painted but the first thing I thought when I saw it? Now that kid has imagination and an eye for what looks good, he's gone ahead and built it best he can and as he wanted, you could see he was proud of it.

Which is pretty much what I told him.

The owners of the shop were less than enthusiastic and only came up a little short of laughing in the kids face. That kind of conceit and/or arrogance from allegedly grown up modelers really makes my liver fizz.
I just resisted the urge to give them both a hefty slap, called them both fucking idiots after the kid had gone and left it at that with those morons.

My take is that if you can't enjoy what you do AND encourage the younglings into this hobby then what's the point?

And that's enough waffle out of this old plastic pounder
And I have a fuckin' attitude.
Does that count?
Old 11-11-2013, 05:21 PM
Battlestar Triton

Thank ya kindly, gentlemen! (no insult intended!) I appreciate that.

Best part was getting them to forget about their electronic stuff for a couple of hours - tho Ryan kept getting bored and would wander off for a few minutes at a time.

BTW, both Terran Empire ships are still intact. No battle damage to either of them!

Next up is more building with my oldest - and possibly my youngest. My boys are big Star Wars fans. I've got a couple of MPC/AMT Imperial Star Destroyer kits, as well as a bunch of accurizing bits for them. My oldest son, Daniel, and I have done a bit of work to two of them - one for each of us - and I hope to get a third ISD from MAR10 shortly for my youngest, Ryan. Daniel and I will do some accurizing bits, Ryan's will be a straight build - wholly by him with some minor help from me. We likely won't get to those kits until the week of Thanksgiving, tho - one of the perks of being unemployed is being able to spend time w/the boys when they're off from school that week - as well as during the Christmas break.

Thanks again, fellas!

Itís advised that you thoroughly research those from whom you plan to purchase from Garage Kit Manufacturers that you donít know!
Old 11-11-2013, 07:31 PM
Glacial Pace Builder

LastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati God

No gentlemen around here Griff, so no offence taken. Just lots of creepy blokes hiding in smelly sheds and rooms playing with model spaceships. Then there are the military modelers, they're in another sub-category. Then the Trek people, gods, where do I start with them?

Mike
Old 11-11-2013, 08:01 PM
Battlestar Triton

LOL! Too True!

Oh, hey! Wait a minute! I'm a Trek people!

Old 11-12-2013, 04:37 AM

jake88 is a glorious beacon of lightjake88 is a glorious beacon of lightjake88 is a glorious beacon of lightjake88 is a glorious beacon of lightjake88 is a glorious beacon of lightjake88 is a glorious beacon of lightjake88 is a glorious beacon of lightjake88 is a glorious beacon of lightjake88 is a glorious beacon of lightjake88 is a glorious beacon of lightjake88 is a glorious beacon of light

Those both look fantastic Griff! Surely warranting some more kits for the boys! Awesome!
Old 11-12-2013, 06:34 AM
Oh my!

lakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati God

Looks like they had fun and did a great job too! Luckily it looks like you didn't have to shepard them through the process at all.

Shaka, when the walls fell.
His eyes opened!
The bubbles rose.

Old 11-13-2013, 05:09 PM
Battlestar Triton

Yeah, they had a great time - well, Ryan was a bit bored since I did most of the build - and as a further bonus, both ships are still intact! Ryan's has a lil' minor battle damage - the spire is missing on his nav/sensor dish. Otherwise, still intact and looking for worlds to conquer in the name of the Terran Empire!

No "shepard"ing was done.

Old 11-13-2013, 07:39 PM
My ass is itchy...

Neb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati God

[quote=Griffworks;265455
No "shepard"ing was done. [/quote]

Nice job getting the boys started.

"one of us, one of us...."

Now, even if I WERE to attend, y'all better keep them costume wearing types away from me. I don't like you model people. How I ever got hooked up with you geeks, I'll never know. I lived all this time, just to end up spending my days with fucking "Skill Level 3" and "Ages 8 and up".
--Eagle-1, the funniest bastard on Earth!
Old 11-14-2013, 06:08 AM
Lurker

Trekmanscott, M,Ed. has a brilliant futureTrekmanscott, M,Ed. has a brilliant futureTrekmanscott, M,Ed. has a brilliant futureTrekmanscott, M,Ed. has a brilliant futureTrekmanscott, M,Ed. has a brilliant futureTrekmanscott, M,Ed. has a brilliant futureTrekmanscott, M,Ed. has a brilliant futureTrekmanscott, M,Ed. has a brilliant futureTrekmanscott, M,Ed. has a brilliant futureTrekmanscott, M,Ed. has a brilliant futureTrekmanscott, M,Ed. has a brilliant future

Good to see Griff and the boys did a good job. My son is working on a Ferengi Maurader. I will post pictures when its done.
Old 11-15-2013, 03:53 AM

Location: Corellia, just south of Mandalor, north of Tatooine, east of Coruscant and west of Gotham City.
Boxster has a brilliant futureBoxster has a brilliant futureBoxster has a brilliant futureBoxster has a brilliant futureBoxster has a brilliant futureBoxster has a brilliant futureBoxster has a brilliant futureBoxster has a brilliant futureBoxster has a brilliant futureBoxster has a brilliant futureBoxster has a brilliant future

Its really cool to see your kids building models. Something to take them away from the Xbox or PS3 for a little while. I think they will be happy with the prepainted Star Wars kits? They can learn to weather from there.

I remember building kits at 5 and decided to paint it. Open up a can of paint which was meant for the doors and dipped that 1/72 A4 into it and viola, my first painted model!!! Its pretty effed up and I still remember it was me pride and joy, at that time.

B