Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > Works in Progress > Sci-Fi and Fantasy

Sci-Fi and Fantasy Sci-Fi and Fantasy WIPs

Old 07-18-2015, 11:50 PM

aptivaboy has a brilliant futureaptivaboy has a brilliant futureaptivaboy has a brilliant futureaptivaboy has a brilliant futureaptivaboy has a brilliant futureaptivaboy has a brilliant futureaptivaboy has a brilliant futureaptivaboy has a brilliant futureaptivaboy has a brilliant futureaptivaboy has a brilliant futureaptivaboy has a brilliant future
Default Trek TOS Heavy Personnel Shuttle

Well, with the Miranda done and just waiting on fundage to print it, I started work on something else. Seeing that Polar Lights will be releasing the old AMT Galileo shuttle, I thought that something similar, though bigger, might be nice.

Think of this as Galileo's big brother, probably 1/3rd to 1/2 larger. I'd really like to put the Galileo next to this guy. Its obviously still a work in progress. The ventral surfaces will be built out a bit, and the after opening will receive a solid bulkhead, perhaps with a fold down door like an APC would have.

Thanks for looking.

Bob

Old 07-19-2015, 03:30 PM
All ahead full

AdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud of
Default Re: Trek TOS Heavy Personnel Shuttle

Hey ~ this is very cool! I just so happen to be working on a re-design shuttle for my Sentinel class cruiser. What program are you using to model this?
Old 07-19-2015, 05:42 PM

aptivaboy has a brilliant futureaptivaboy has a brilliant futureaptivaboy has a brilliant futureaptivaboy has a brilliant futureaptivaboy has a brilliant futureaptivaboy has a brilliant futureaptivaboy has a brilliant futureaptivaboy has a brilliant futureaptivaboy has a brilliant futureaptivaboy has a brilliant futureaptivaboy has a brilliant future

Thanks. I'm using Geomagic (formerly Alibre) Design. Given that the shuttle is mostly slab sided with little organic shaping, there's no need to pull out the 'ol NURBS based program.

What does your redesign look like?

Bob
Old 07-19-2015, 11:06 PM
All ahead full

AdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud of

I have not heard of that program before. For simple mock-ups, I'll use Google Sketch-Up. This is my very rough shuttle redesign idea for Sentinel, done in Illustrator. Still have lots of issues to resolve:

Old 07-20-2015, 12:00 AM

Sweet! I can see the family resemblance in the nacelles. The 787 nose looks great, too.

Geomagic is okay. It started out as Alibre Design and was targeted towards home hobbyists, and those wanting Solidworks type performance at a fraction of the cost. Fine Scale Modeler even did a write up of it. Since then, 3D Systems bought out Alibre and its sort of stagnated. Import/export abilities are pretty poor, and there's a sense that 3D is going to orphan the program, which would be a shame as its super capable when it isn't crashing. That's the other thing, they've damaged the program's stability, which is why I've been using Moment of Inspiration more and more; I did most of the Miranda in it, including the nacelles, rollbar and almost all of the surfacing and texturing.

Bob
Old 07-20-2015, 12:26 PM
Humble Aspirant

SCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralBuck View Post
Kit this, too, while you're at it? 1/72 please?

Old 07-24-2015, 06:16 PM

I got the underside thickened and curved in profile to be reminiscent of the Galileo's underside. I also slightly lengthened the shuttle, and am working on the windows and hatches. She's coming along!

Bob