Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > Finished Models > Military Models

Military Models Finished Military Models

Old 07-25-2012, 04:13 PM
It's gonna get real now.

The Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati God
Default 1/48 B-17F "Bad Penny" - FINISHED

What we have here is Revell's B-17F kit. It's the current RoG Memphis Belle issue. I'd rather have had an older issue because their plastic was better, but I got a deal on this one.

Its raised panel lines kinda dates it, but on the outside it LOOKS fine. Proportions are right. It LOOKS like a B-17F.

That's ONLY for the outside.

Speaking of:

The INSIDE SUCKS. There's a cursory cockpit and a piece of plastic that serves as a nose compartment deck, and that's it. They (Revell) didn't even bother to include anything whatsoever for a radio room, and there is no detail at all in the waist area. So, if you want to display the model with the waist windows open, or if you merely look down into the radio room window, you'll see nothing.

Sooo - I made some ribbing and window tracks with Evergreen strip and channel. It's not 100% accurate, but Bad Penny will never see a model contest:

I'm using the innards out of a current-issue G kit. I'll have enough parts left over for a fair representation of a B-17, so I'll slap it together, paint it, and give it to my 10 year old nephew, who LOVES WW2 heavy iron.

Guts. I'm only really concentrating on stuff that will be visible from the outside. It needs ammo boxes for the 4 .50s in the nose, but other than that, it's almost ready for paint:

Radio room. Because the overhead window will be open (retracted), it needs more attention than the cockpit and the nose. I cut down the armor plate from the seat, and added more of a tabletop with sheet plastic to try and conceal how Monogram engineered that part. All was well until I found out that the overhead is fairly intricate. The whole raised-up area on the top of a 17, from the front bomb bay bulkhead back, is basically a hood riveted to the cylinder of the fuselage. It's one of those things that you tend to not really notice at first, but once you DO notice it, it's forever obvious. Hell, I've been in several real 17's, flown in one, and read a book or two on them, and STILL never noticed it until I had to ask myself, where does the window go when it's opened up???

Pic below. I haven't made the .50 caliber mount yet. It's made similarly to the flexible mount in an SBD. The vertical fins need a little more trimming to fit properly in the fuselage, and they need lightening holes. Ball turret mount will need to be moved maybe 4mm forward, and I need to scratch some side walls for the radio room.

Future plans: Markings - it'll be assigned to the 381st BG, 534th BS in late 1943. It'll have big gray Group letters on the side, and the red-surround national insignia (which will be the subject of a rant in a review thread).

It'll have the field-modified nose - instead of the two widely-spaced .30 cals that the Belle had, it'll have two .50s mounted in the center.

I also thought about putting a crew in it. I have enough figures from other old Monogram kits........

Sheperd Paine, you are my hero!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BadPenny.jpg (26.0 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by The Cat; 11-06-2012 at 06:14 AM.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:12 PM

Hackcore has a reputation beyond reputeHackcore has a reputation beyond reputeHackcore has a reputation beyond reputeHackcore has a reputation beyond reputeHackcore has a reputation beyond reputeHackcore has a reputation beyond reputeHackcore has a reputation beyond reputeHackcore has a reputation beyond reputeHackcore has a reputation beyond reputeHackcore has a reputation beyond reputeHackcore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 1/48 B-17F "Bad Penny"

Sweet work Cat! Always nice to see another B-17.
Old 07-26-2012, 05:48 AM
Dweeb in residence

rpauly has a brilliant futurerpauly has a brilliant futurerpauly has a brilliant futurerpauly has a brilliant futurerpauly has a brilliant futurerpauly has a brilliant futurerpauly has a brilliant futurerpauly has a brilliant futurerpauly has a brilliant futurerpauly has a brilliant futurerpauly has a brilliant future

Looking good!
Old 07-27-2012, 06:23 AM
It's gonna get real now.

The Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati God

Thanks, fellas!

I FINALLY found some references to the radio gun position. FINALLY! Haven't used that knowledge yet, but it'll happen!

Said info found here.
Old 07-27-2012, 09:05 AM
Dweeb in residence

rpauly has a brilliant futurerpauly has a brilliant futurerpauly has a brilliant futurerpauly has a brilliant futurerpauly has a brilliant futurerpauly has a brilliant futurerpauly has a brilliant futurerpauly has a brilliant futurerpauly has a brilliant futurerpauly has a brilliant futurerpauly has a brilliant future

Dave,
Get thee to Amazon and order yourself a copy of FLYING FORTRESS, by Ed Jablonski. If there is a holy tome for Fortress Fanatics, that book is it.
Old 07-27-2012, 07:15 PM
It's gonna get real now.

Consider its ass ORDERED! Many thanks, Bob
Old 07-28-2012, 06:53 AM
Dweeb in residence

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cat View Post
Consider its ass ORDERED! Many thanks, Bob
Yer welcome. The appendix in the back contains a whole mess'o technical information on the Fort - including a chunk of the flight training manual and a comprehensive design analysis. You'll like it.

If you have a notion, you might consider looking for a copy of AIR WAR by the same author. It's an in-depth examination of air combat in both theaters during WWII, and a great reference for all kinds of warbird worship.
Old 07-29-2012, 06:38 PM
It's gonna get real now.

Air War is on deck. I get about halfway through Flying Fortress, I'll order it up.

One for YOU is Flying Forts by Martin Caidin. If you've ever read any of Caidin's work, you know he had a distinctive style, and it translates well to how he told the Fort's story. Amazon has it in several formats, including, thankfully, Kindle.

THANK YOU for recommending the Jablonski book!!! Looks like a winner!
Old 07-30-2012, 03:58 AM
Dweeb in residence

Cool! I haven't read anything by Caidin since "Cyborg," a long, long time ago. I'll be ordering this one. Thanks!
Old 07-30-2012, 06:18 AM
Ridged For Her Pleasure

The Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond repute

Not a contest model? Why's that kitty-cat?
Old 07-30-2012, 06:30 AM
It's gonna get real now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mad Klingon View Post
Not a contest model? Why's that kitty-cat?
It won't be blingy enough
Old 07-30-2012, 03:56 PM
Dweeb in residence

Isn't this supposed to be a new mold? Surprised they went with raised panel lines...
Old 07-30-2012, 04:17 PM
It's gonna get real now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpauly View Post
Isn't this supposed to be a new mold? Surprised they went with raised panel lines...
No - it IS a newly-made kit, but the molds date from the '77 or '78 timeframe. Roughly when the Monogram G came out.

Also - a funny thing about the 17 - their aluminum panels were mostly overlapped. Sooo - recessed lines would be just about as inaccurate as raised ones are!

Last edited by The Cat; 07-30-2012 at 04:24 PM.
Old 07-30-2012, 07:31 PM

G-Man is a glorious beacon of lightG-Man is a glorious beacon of lightG-Man is a glorious beacon of lightG-Man is a glorious beacon of lightG-Man is a glorious beacon of lightG-Man is a glorious beacon of lightG-Man is a glorious beacon of lightG-Man is a glorious beacon of lightG-Man is a glorious beacon of lightG-Man is a glorious beacon of lightG-Man is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cat View Post
No - it IS a newly-made kit, but the molds date from the '77 or '78 timeframe. Roughly when the Monogram G came out.

Also - a funny thing about the 17 - their aluminum panels were mostly overlapped. Sooo - recessed lines would be just about as inaccurate as raised ones are!
Get some thin vinyl and cut out the shapes for the panels and stick them on, overlapped?... Then its perfect!

Look forward to seeing this with some paint on it. I'm sure she'll be a beaut when you get her finished.

George

And you can follow Catalyst Creations on face book:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Catalyst-Creations/345458355475644
Old 07-31-2012, 03:21 PM
Shit got real.

HWR MKII Resin Illuminati GodHWR MKII Resin Illuminati GodHWR MKII Resin Illuminati GodHWR MKII Resin Illuminati GodHWR MKII Resin Illuminati GodHWR MKII Resin Illuminati GodHWR MKII Resin Illuminati GodHWR MKII Resin Illuminati GodHWR MKII Resin Illuminati GodHWR MKII Resin Illuminati GodHWR MKII Resin Illuminati God

until time attacks the glue on the vinyl. Easier solution would be to mask off the area of the panel that needs to be raised then apply some Mr surfacer or other primer to build it up. Sand smooth while the tape is on and peel the tape. You should end up with a nice raised panel that wont curl off when it gets old.