Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > Works in Progress > Military

Military Military WIPs

Old 07-06-2017, 01:02 PM
All ahead full

AdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud of
Default 1/48 Panzer IV Ausf. J

As a quick break and therapy from starships, I've pulled a previously started Panzer IV kit off the shelf to get my hands dirty in some real armor weathering. I've been watching a ton of tutorials on the mig paint products, chipping and rust effects and dove right in.

The first step was to spray the hull in primer/rust colors. Then, a layer of chipping fluid before the camouflage paint. A brush dipped in water 'chips' the paint coat, revealing the bare metal look. First time I had done this so I was pleased it worked.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tam32518_0.jpg (170.3 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2981.jpg (532.6 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3004.jpg (665.6 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3028.jpg (432.9 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3036.jpg (606.0 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3048.jpg (486.6 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3050.jpg (505.0 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3057.jpg (472.9 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3061.jpg (457.6 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3063.jpg (495.1 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg side-view_chip.jpg (348.3 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by AdmiralBuck; 07-06-2017 at 01:21 PM.
Old 07-06-2017, 01:47 PM
Humble Aspirant

SCI-FI is a glorious beacon of lightSCI-FI is a glorious beacon of lightSCI-FI is a glorious beacon of lightSCI-FI is a glorious beacon of lightSCI-FI is a glorious beacon of lightSCI-FI is a glorious beacon of lightSCI-FI is a glorious beacon of lightSCI-FI is a glorious beacon of lightSCI-FI is a glorious beacon of lightSCI-FI is a glorious beacon of lightSCI-FI is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: 1/48 Panzer IV Ausf. J

*keeps looking for the square brass port windows and trademarked Sentinel nacelles...*

Awesome job!

Last edited by SCI-FI; 07-06-2017 at 01:48 PM.
Old 07-07-2017, 08:13 AM
Loose canon with a loose screw

MHaz1701 New face in the crowd

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCI-FI View Post
*keeps looking for the square brass port windows and trademarked Sentinel nacelles...*

Awesome job!
Old 07-10-2017, 07:51 AM
All ahead full

AdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud of

Quote:

Awesome job!
Thanks. It's a small relief to not have to fabricate everything and just build/paint a model.

And here we are, all finished! All that was left to do was the track assembly/painting and the decals, which took a few hours this past Sunday. I also added my wife's name to the driver side hull in white pencil.

The finished pics:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg finished1.jpg (392.9 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg finished2.jpg (344.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg finished3.jpg (360.2 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg finished4.jpg (298.7 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg finished5.jpg (531.9 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg finished6.jpg (441.1 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3098.jpg (592.5 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3102.jpg (607.6 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3101.jpg (494.0 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg finished7.jpg (476.9 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by AdmiralBuck; 07-10-2017 at 08:13 AM.
Old 07-10-2017, 08:28 AM
Humble Aspirant

SCI-FI is a glorious beacon of lightSCI-FI is a glorious beacon of lightSCI-FI is a glorious beacon of lightSCI-FI is a glorious beacon of lightSCI-FI is a glorious beacon of lightSCI-FI is a glorious beacon of lightSCI-FI is a glorious beacon of lightSCI-FI is a glorious beacon of lightSCI-FI is a glorious beacon of lightSCI-FI is a glorious beacon of lightSCI-FI is a glorious beacon of light

That's fantastic, I love the results of a good weathering job.
Old 07-10-2017, 08:37 AM
Loose canon with a loose screw

MHaz1701 New face in the crowd

Looks awesome!
Old 07-10-2017, 08:57 AM
Humble Aspirant

Also: could you explain how the chipping fluid works (or how you did it)?
I can see it in the pic, but never heard nor seen it before this instance. I'm interested in the expert's hands-on review ....
Old 07-10-2017, 09:41 AM
All ahead full

Quote:
Also: could you explain how the chipping fluid works (or how you did it)?
I can see it in the pic, but never heard nor seen it before this instance. I'm interested in the expert's hands-on review ....
Sure thing. As I understand it - and this is the first time I've ever done this - this is a clear water-soluble coating which replaces the technique of using hairspray in-between layers of paint that you want to 'chip" off. In this case, I wanted to reveal the worn, rusty primer coat beneath the top color base paint. After spraying the entire model in these rusty tones, I airbrushed this clear 'chipping fluid', let it dry and painted the model as usual. After this had dried, I then took a short stiff brush and dipped it in water and started to rub around edges and areas where I wanted this chipping effect to appear. The water loosened the paint layers from the clear chip layer, revealing the rusty metal. You have quite a bit of control as to how much you want chipped. It is possible to repeat this on as many layers as you want, provided you seal the previous one in a clear lacquer.

I watched several videos on this on youtube.