Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > Works in Progress > Sci-Fi and Fantasy

Sci-Fi and Fantasy Sci-Fi and Fantasy WIPs

Old 07-07-2017, 07:25 PM

Madhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to behold
Default A nude Dragonfly

Hi guys - it's been a while since I last posted anything here, so it's about time to contribute more instead of just watching

No, it's not quite as weird as it sound - it's the Industria Mechanika 1/35 Dragonfly resin kit.
It's really nicely molded and is easy enough for a simpleton like me to put together. There's a lot of really nice detail in the form of gears and cogs here and there, rivets and a beautifully crafted pilot figure which I won't be able to do justice too so I will mot likely leave him out.
You don't get a billion parts which is great too.You get laser cut clear inserts for the PE wing frames to sandwich and the PE frets have a lot of additional details you can add to for rigging etc. Oh, and some rigging wire
It builds up to a decent size too and spanning about 35cm or so I think.

I have what I think is a cool scheme in mind for this by combing metal and wood using wood decals for the main body segments so I end up with something similar to a naked Mig-3

So, what do you get for your money? Have a squiz:

The parts have been primed and are currently drying.

Well, that's enough for now so thanks for looking

Si
Old 07-08-2017, 04:31 AM
Humble Aspirant

SCI-FI is a glorious beacon of lightSCI-FI is a glorious beacon of lightSCI-FI is a glorious beacon of lightSCI-FI is a glorious beacon of lightSCI-FI is a glorious beacon of lightSCI-FI is a glorious beacon of lightSCI-FI is a glorious beacon of lightSCI-FI is a glorious beacon of lightSCI-FI is a glorious beacon of lightSCI-FI is a glorious beacon of lightSCI-FI is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: A nude Dragonfly

Wow, nice kit, been hoping to see someone do a writeup on it.
Great start!
Old 07-09-2017, 08:48 PM
Kit Assembler

bg_451 is a splendid one to beholdbg_451 is a splendid one to beholdbg_451 is a splendid one to beholdbg_451 is a splendid one to beholdbg_451 is a splendid one to beholdbg_451 is a splendid one to beholdbg_451 is a splendid one to beholdbg_451 is a splendid one to beholdbg_451 is a splendid one to beholdbg_451 is a splendid one to beholdbg_451 is a splendid one to behold

Oh nice! The wood and metal look should suit that perfectly.
Old 07-10-2017, 05:33 AM

Madhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to behold

Yeah, I haven't seen very many of these online - maybe 4 at the most. It's just something that bit different to your mainstream Sci-Fi
So, what can I say - there isn't much to put together here so it's painting up first.
I masked off the wood section and will use the tape as a template for the wood decal sheets
The paint is all Alclad for the moment
Sorry for the average photos - its night time here and Ive blown my white bulb so the temperature is all skew whiff, but you get the idea

I do apologise again for the above pictures - they don't really show the colours and need to be taken in daylight

thanks for indulging me

Si
Old 07-10-2017, 07:38 AM
Humble Aspirant

SCI-FI is a glorious beacon of lightSCI-FI is a glorious beacon of lightSCI-FI is a glorious beacon of lightSCI-FI is a glorious beacon of lightSCI-FI is a glorious beacon of lightSCI-FI is a glorious beacon of lightSCI-FI is a glorious beacon of lightSCI-FI is a glorious beacon of lightSCI-FI is a glorious beacon of lightSCI-FI is a glorious beacon of lightSCI-FI is a glorious beacon of light

If these are pics worth apologizing over, this must look breathtaking in real life.
Absolutely gorgeous work so far.

Last edited by SCI-FI; 07-11-2017 at 04:07 AM.
Old 07-10-2017, 05:43 PM

lunadude is a jewel in the roughlunadude is a jewel in the roughlunadude is a jewel in the roughlunadude is a jewel in the roughlunadude is a jewel in the roughlunadude is a jewel in the rough

Oooo, cool kit and fun project!
Old 07-14-2017, 07:33 PM

Thanks guys
Small update. I finally found some time today to take some (hopefully) better pictures.
I have decided to repaint the metal as I was having issues with the paint lifting off (despite all the usual precautions like priming, clear coat etc)
For whatever reason, the Tamiya masking tape was just peeling it off in chunks. This isn't such a bad thing as it has left me trying something else.
I found a heap of left over PE from my BR-52 and seeing as it's all in the same scale, I may as well add some extra detail to places like the cockpit and the mechanical area. I wont go overboard though. Just a little bit

I love all the little details in this kit like the cogs and so on.

I'm going to start making the legs soon but I have to decide now how I am going to display this. I was pondering the idea of having it sit on a wooden landing pad. I have left over balsa sheet I could use for making planks but I'd have to go buy some for the frame. Or do I make it in-flight -- which would mean I would have to make and paint the pilot figure and I'll be honest - I can't paint figures for squat.

Ah well - first world problems hey. Thanks for stopping in and having a look

Si
Old 07-16-2017, 12:20 AM

Took a quick pic of the main mechanical body and I am pretty happy with how it's coming along. I have added a light wash and created oil stains

I have also finished respraying the metal on the main body and once its fully cured, I'll be adding the wooden decals. I'm keen to see if it comes out as I have it in my head.
thanks for looking
Old 07-20-2017, 05:42 AM

I took a couple of quick pics of where I am currently up to.
I attached the metal parts to the main body with CA and a piece of brass tube through the middle to pin it together.
The rear end has been attached and I added seat belts, a gear lever of some kind made of brass rod and a bead of solder for the knob, and threw in a couple of steam valves for giggles. I also added some cut mesh for the floor and a step from a BR52 for a pedal that does .... something.
I'm also trying to put on the windscreen - but it is being very difficult at present, so it's sitting there waiting for the body to fully cure.
I also put together a wing to see how hard it would be and it turned out to be easier than I thought, so I'll keep on with those

so, here's where it sits currently:

Well, that's it for now. The wife and son arrive back on Saturday, so progress will undoubtedly slow down a bit. Thanks for looking
Si
Old 07-20-2017, 08:26 AM
Humble Aspirant

Wow, so intricate. Unique paint scheme stands out even more with the wood (?) stripe.
I'm interested in seeing how you attach the windscreen. White glue?

Best-
--SF
Old Today, 05:15 AM

quick update - it has legs! I'll try to take some better shots on Wednesday when I have my RDO.

I still need to add some rigging to the legs once they're fully cured and then I can add the finished wings and add rigging to them as well - which ought to be fun as I have never rigged anything before!
Thanks for looking
Si