Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > Works in Progress > Sci-Fi and Fantasy

Sci-Fi and Fantasy Sci-Fi and Fantasy WIPs

Old 06-29-2017, 11:19 AM
One-trek Mind

Trekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati God
Default Re: K't'inga 1/1000 scale by Ugh Models-Photo Heavy

She's getting close to completion now. Almost all pastel work is done.
She got a sealing coat of Dullcote.
Next I'll rub some "soot" around the mouth of the bow photorp tube to match the look of the studio model. After that will be finishing the windows on the front of the command deck and applying decals...

Getting There by trekriffic, on Flickr

Port Profile by trekriffic, on Flickr

The impulse engine vents turned out rather nicely if I do say so myself:

Stern View by trekriffic, on Flickr

I really like what the pastel chalks did to unify the finish:

Dorsal View by trekriffic, on Flickr

She definitely has that shark coloration-lighter underneath and darker on top. The starburst around the photorp tube was painted on using a mix of brown and yellow- like Gulden's brown mustard. The decals that came with the kit were either red or gold colored which is wrong for the Star Trek the Motion Picture K't'inga:

Ventral View by trekriffic, on Flickr

Q'a'pla!

"I'm afraid the guilty party is in for a very severe punishment."
Old 06-29-2017, 06:57 PM

Tiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant future

Sweet work. Looks ready to take on V'ger... Oh wait...

http://thome216.imgur.com/

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z156/Thome216/
Old 06-30-2017, 07:45 AM
All ahead full

AdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud of

Wonderful work!! Taking lots of notes here.
Old 06-30-2017, 04:53 PM
One-trek Mind

Trekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati God

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralBuck View Post
Wonderful work!! Taking lots of notes here.
Thanks Admiral!

Old 06-30-2017, 04:54 PM
One-trek Mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberious View Post
Sweet work. Looks ready to take on V'ger... Oh wait...
Errrrhhh yeaaaaaaAAAH... best to not go there.

Last edited by Trekriffic; 06-30-2017 at 04:54 PM.
Old 07-02-2017, 12:04 AM

Nostromo has a brilliant futureNostromo has a brilliant futureNostromo has a brilliant futureNostromo has a brilliant futureNostromo has a brilliant futureNostromo has a brilliant futureNostromo has a brilliant futureNostromo has a brilliant futureNostromo has a brilliant futureNostromo has a brilliant futureNostromo has a brilliant future

Love your workbench
Old 07-05-2017, 05:44 PM
One-trek Mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostromo View Post
Love your workbench
Neat huh? Sometimes I have to take time out during a build to tidy up enough so I can find things!

Old 07-05-2017, 05:45 PM
One-trek Mind

So she's about 99% done I'd say. May add a few more black stripes to the bow plating above the torpedo mouth to give them more detail. Most of the little white accent lights on the nacelles and secondary hull and the narrow end to the rear of the command bulb were made using really short pieces of bloomed (heated) fiber optic strand. The blooming was done using a BIC lighter and made perfectly round little bulbs that I then painted white. Holes would be drilled and the strand glued in with Elmer's white glue. So you end up with perfectly uniform round ports.

After decaling I gave her an overall brushing with Future to seal the decals and protect the paint. Today she got a few sprays of Dullcote, all except for the command bulb, which was still getting some decals this morning.

Anyway, here are some pics, not the final, final pics though so don't be too disappointed.
For one thing I still need to finish the base and I'm hoping meatloafr can help me on that front...

Shuttle bay doors trefoil decal:

Trefoil Decal on Doors by trekriffic, on Flickr

Klingon lettering. This decal is located on the aft inboard upper half of each nacelle:

Klingon Alphabet Decal by trekriffic, on Flickr

Ventral trefoil decal. Did a little weathering after painting the trefoil decal with enamels to change the coloration a tad-more brown mustard yellow and a lighter shade of green and blue. Also the red spike had a divot after I applied it so painted it over too. Lots of Solvaset needed to get this one to lay down:

Ventral Trefoil Decal by trekriffic, on Flickr

Nacelle outboard pylon decal. More Klingon lettering on each pylon:

Nacelle Pylon Decal by trekriffic, on Flickr

Dorsal trefoil and Klingon lettering decals. Not sure what the letters spell out or even if I got them right side up to be honest:

Dorsal Trefoil and Klingon Lettering by trekriffic, on Flickr

White decal paper. I painted an olive green stripe onto some leftover white decal paper using MM enamels. After soaking I placed the stripe along the centerline of the black window stripe decal that wraps around the command bulb on the bow:

White Decal Paper by trekriffic, on Flickr

Profile of bow wraparound window decal. Tricky to get this decal centered correctly:

Bow Window Decal Profile by trekriffic, on Flickr

Windows and Ports. The two rows of windows along the front of the command deck were made by drilling shallow holes and filling them with Perfect Plastic Putty which is a white water-based putty. This worked really well for making perfectly round, uniform window ports in the extremely narrow shallow grooves; although, the residual putty was a biotch to clean up. On the bow below, the black decal with white windows was augmented by an olive green decal laid on between the window ports. The rectangular white "sensor" in the center is made from white decal film. There were also some extra windows I painted out with a black enamel paint pen, they were right in the middle on the bottom half of the black decal centered over the torpedo tube. The weathering around the torpedo tube mouth was done using Tamiya "soot", "rust, and "burnt blue" pastels:

Windows and Window Decals by trekriffic, on Flickr

I have an interesting idea for the base. Just need to see what it will cost me to get a 3" x 3" decal made up.

Q'a'pla!

Old 07-26-2017, 03:55 PM
One-trek Mind

Q'a'pla my Klingon brethren.

This will be my last in-progress post prior to posting the final finished pics. I kept finding things to improve the look of the model to more closely match the studio model. To that end I revamped the detailing I'd done atop what I call the "tactical command dome". It's the tower that sits behind the "bridge" dome atop the command "bulb". Anyway, after multiple coats of paint the original detailing had become pretty soft.

Here's a pic of the studio model to show you what I was shooting for:

Studio Model Tactical Dome Detail by trekriffic, on Flickr

The array atop the dome is kinda hard to figure out but I did my best to replicate it using bits of styrene sheet and rod and some leftover brass fret material. I also modified the profile of the strip that runs along the front of the dome making it more angular rather than a smooth curve:

Tactical Array by trekriffic, on Flickr

IMG_2757 by trekriffic, on Flickr

Tactical Array Tower Details by trekriffic, on Flickr

I have to say I have no idea if it's 100% accurate to the studio miniature but it looks pretty close to me. Certainly good enough for this scale.

Moving along towards the final stages I rediscovered my Prismacolor coloring pencils! I'd somehow forgotten about them; maybe because the last time I used them to any extent was when I build my 18" TOS Enterprise some 11 years ago. Anyway, they were great for making the final tweaks to the ships detailing:

Prismacolor Pencils by trekriffic, on Flickr

The pencils (mostly black, brown sienna, and "mustard" yellow) were lightly scribbled onto the model over a flat coat and then rubbed with a cotton swab and "water" to blend the color. It's a subtle effect but really contributes to the finishing touches.

The wooden base ready for painting:

Base Ready for Paint and Decaling by trekriffic, on Flickr

It will be a nested affair with the main square brass display rod (that fits into a mounting hole in the ass and underside of the model) inside another round brass tube which itself fits into another round tube that fits into a hole drilled into the base.

So today I will leave you with a few teaser photos. I'll have more hopefully this weekend after my decal arrives today from meatloafr for the base. She's had umpteen coats of Dullcote but, in my mind, this ship absolutely has to have a dead flat finish:

Bow Quarter by trekriffic, on Flickr

Stern Quarter by trekriffic, on Flickr

Starboard Profile by trekriffic, on Flickr

Stay tuned for the finished images some of which will try to recapture the unfortunate encounter with V'ger that led to this vessel and crew's unfortunate demise.

Q'a'pla!

Old 08-14-2017, 03:10 PM
One-trek Mind

Greeting! View finished pics here for those still interested:

http://resinilluminati.com/showthrea...822#post292822