Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > Finished Models > Sci-Fi and Fantasy

Sci-Fi and Fantasy Finished Sci-Fi and Fantasy projects

Old 06-03-2013, 09:30 AM
It's gonna get real now.

The Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati God
Default 1/350 Star Trek TOS U.S.S. Miranda, NCC-1833

This baby is going to take a while. I HOPE to have her ready before WF '14, but there are no guarantees.

I did a thousandth scale bash a few years back to see what this ship would look like in 3D. Then after a couple abortive attempts and a lot of thought, I got a 650th together. I'm happy with how she turned out, so I'm ready to cut up a 350th R2 TOS E kit and make a bigger one.

She's going to be HUGE.

I photocopied the 650th's pylon template and enlarged it to the size needed for the 350th kit:

Here's the 650th on top of the 350th saucer:

Here's a 350th G4M 'Betty' bomber next to the bridge/B/C decks:

The plan is to light her and include one shuttle bay. The actual lighting shouldn't be a problem as I plan to use the R2 light kit, but it'll get interesting when I try to make the windows in the to-be-added sections. There's going to be a learning curve there. I hope to have at least three shuttles visible in the landing bay - the kit's, plus two scratchbuilt versions. I'm getting ideas for her shuttle/cargo bay here. (Some GORGEOUS stuff there!)

Raytheon posted links to pics of an updated TOS E in his thread here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raytheon View Post
At some point in the future, I may build another to look like one design I found that some extremely talented fellow has perpetrated in CGI fashion.
It's the TOS Enterprise but sort of not if ya take a look. I somehow imagine that this is what the lady looked like just before the Refit version.
Here's direct links to several pictures.

http://www.vektorvisual.com/projects.../Desktop05.jpg

http://www.vektorvisual.com/projects.../Desktop04.jpg

http://www.vektorvisual.com/projects...ktop07wide.jpg

http://www.vektorvisual.com/projects...ktop08wide.jpg

Well that's for another day and more on this as we go along.
Go easy out there all of you!
I LOVE them! DEFINITELY getting some ideas on how Miranda will look when she's finished!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-06-20 17.22.08.jpg
Views:	493
Size:	21.4 KB
ID:	72386  

Last edited by The Cat; 06-20-2016 at 03:24 PM.
Old 06-03-2013, 04:27 PM
Battlestar Triton

Griffworks has disabled reputation
Default Re: 1/350 TOS Miranda, NCC-1833

This'll rawk their sox at WF '14!

Or whenever she's completed and you take her.
Old 06-04-2013, 05:37 AM
It's blazing hot in here!

U-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati God

Another gold medal project in the works.

The open shuttle bay will really blow the judge's minds.

Looking forward to following your build.

Last edited by U-boater; 06-04-2013 at 05:38 AM.
Old 06-04-2013, 06:30 AM
Lurker

Trekmanscott, M,Ed. has a brilliant futureTrekmanscott, M,Ed. has a brilliant futureTrekmanscott, M,Ed. has a brilliant futureTrekmanscott, M,Ed. has a brilliant futureTrekmanscott, M,Ed. has a brilliant futureTrekmanscott, M,Ed. has a brilliant futureTrekmanscott, M,Ed. has a brilliant futureTrekmanscott, M,Ed. has a brilliant futureTrekmanscott, M,Ed. has a brilliant futureTrekmanscott, M,Ed. has a brilliant futureTrekmanscott, M,Ed. has a brilliant future

It will be impressive! I look forward to seeing your progress.
Old 06-04-2013, 07:38 AM
It's gonna get real now.

The Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati God

The shuttle bay will be getting the majority of my attention. The door area will be around 3/4" tall and 2" wide, so it'll draw a lot of eyes.

Right now, before I start cutting plastic, I'm trying to work out how I'm going to go about making her armature, how she'll be mounted (regular stand or something like a panavise???), and how I'm going to go about doing her windows in the scratchbuilt sections.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:37 AM
Enhanced Member

mar10 Overlord Master of Allmar10 Overlord Master of Allmar10 Overlord Master of Allmar10 Overlord Master of Allmar10 Overlord Master of Allmar10 Overlord Master of Allmar10 Overlord Master of Allmar10 Overlord Master of Allmar10 Overlord Master of Allmar10 Overlord Master of Allmar10 Overlord Master of All

So far so good. Can't wait to see where this baby is going.

When I want an opinion from you, I'll read it in your entrails.
Old 06-04-2013, 11:07 AM
Den Mother

Mark Yungblut has a reputation beyond reputeMark Yungblut has a reputation beyond reputeMark Yungblut has a reputation beyond reputeMark Yungblut has a reputation beyond reputeMark Yungblut has a reputation beyond reputeMark Yungblut has a reputation beyond reputeMark Yungblut has a reputation beyond reputeMark Yungblut has a reputation beyond reputeMark Yungblut has a reputation beyond reputeMark Yungblut has a reputation beyond reputeMark Yungblut has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cat View Post
The shuttle bay will be getting the majority of my attention. The door area will be around 3/4" tall and 2" wide, so it'll draw a lot of eyes.

Right now, before I start cutting plastic, I'm trying to work out how I'm going to go about making her armature, how she'll be mounted (regular stand or something like a panavise???), and how I'm going to go about doing her windows in the scratchbuilt sections.
My suggestion would be to do those walls in 1/16" plexi glass and mask the windows off for painting. In fact if you do the aft wall in plexi you might be able to light the edge.

I'd be happy to mill the hanger doors out for you Dave just say the word.
Old 06-04-2013, 11:15 AM

cireskul is a glorious beacon of lightcireskul is a glorious beacon of lightcireskul is a glorious beacon of lightcireskul is a glorious beacon of lightcireskul is a glorious beacon of lightcireskul is a glorious beacon of lightcireskul is a glorious beacon of lightcireskul is a glorious beacon of lightcireskul is a glorious beacon of lightcireskul is a glorious beacon of lightcireskul is a glorious beacon of light

Cat

Now that how you step up! Also consider casting your parts ( model parts, for all the sick minds ) as you build them for a conversion kit. Like I did for the Abby.........Please.?
Old 06-04-2013, 12:56 PM
It's gonna get real now.

Mark - that's a good idea about the plexi and the window treatment. I may end up going that route. I *may* take you up on the door-milling - it just depends on how things are working out when I get to that area.

Eric - one concern I'd have is, would there even be a market for my design? The Abbe has the advantage of being an already-established and well-known design, so the market exists.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:59 AM
acceptus est impugnatio

Raytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati God

Oh there has to be an open shuttle bay. Not to do one in this scale, well that's just not fuckin' on fella

Happy to be a humble third party to provide some ideas and respectfully, considering what an absolute peach the 650th turned out to be, I fully expect more of the same

Here's to it my feline friend.
And I have a fuckin' attitude.
Does that count?
Old 06-05-2013, 01:48 PM
Groovy tunes.

Sci Fi Smoker Resin Illuminati GodSci Fi Smoker Resin Illuminati GodSci Fi Smoker Resin Illuminati GodSci Fi Smoker Resin Illuminati GodSci Fi Smoker Resin Illuminati GodSci Fi Smoker Resin Illuminati GodSci Fi Smoker Resin Illuminati GodSci Fi Smoker Resin Illuminati GodSci Fi Smoker Resin Illuminati GodSci Fi Smoker Resin Illuminati GodSci Fi Smoker Resin Illuminati God

Awe-inspiring project!
Old 06-05-2013, 02:35 PM
It's gonna get real now.

Thank you so much, fellows I REALLY can't wait to start cutting plastic on her!

I've been doing some drawings and planning, and it looks like this model will be a lot sexier and curvier than the 650th is. Believe it or not, the angle of the saucer edge has a LOT to do with her overall shape. I'll get pics up to show what I mean, but the angle of the 'step' on top of the saucer will have considerably more rearward rake to it and the pylon attachment will look different. The stern plate will be angled the same as the saucer edge, rather than straight up and down, and that'll open up interesting lighting possibilities for the hangar doors.

Jumping ahead to markings, have any of you heard of/ used this type of thing? A mask for painting the numbers on:

Anybody know the guy that makes them? I wonder if he'd do some custom masks for me...
Old 06-05-2013, 04:21 PM
More dangerous than I look!

zysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati God

I had seen his stuff thru Trekworks also. I know he sells on eBay - as a matter of fact, I bought some masking tape from him. It's supposedly the same stuff as Tamiya, only bigger rolls and a lot cheaper. The purchase went well, no problems.

http://myworld.ebay.com/orbital_drydock/
Old 06-05-2013, 06:09 PM
Groovy tunes.

Sci Fi Smoker Resin Illuminati GodSci Fi Smoker Resin Illuminati GodSci Fi Smoker Resin Illuminati GodSci Fi Smoker Resin Illuminati GodSci Fi Smoker Resin Illuminati GodSci Fi Smoker Resin Illuminati GodSci Fi Smoker Resin Illuminati GodSci Fi Smoker Resin Illuminati GodSci Fi Smoker Resin Illuminati GodSci Fi Smoker Resin Illuminati GodSci Fi Smoker Resin Illuminati God

I love those masks!! Gotta get me a set.

Last edited by Sci Fi Smoker; 06-05-2013 at 06:09 PM.
Old 10-30-2013, 05:54 PM
It's gonna get real now.

Alright, it's time to giddy on up with this ship. I haven't worked on her any overthe summer, but I've devoted lots of thought to her. The goal is to have her done by WF '14.

The 650th D-10 and Loknar will be completed by then too - the D-10 needs some greeblies then she'll be ready for paint. The Loknar needs a good amount of puttying and sanding but the hard parts are done on her already.

I sprayed white primer on the saucer halves. I'm going to sand it till the white is gone but I'm leaving the grid lines. I like them, but I'm not so fond of the matte texture molded on the saucer halves.