Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > Finished Models > Sci-Fi and Fantasy

Sci-Fi and Fantasy Finished Sci-Fi and Fantasy projects

Old 04-07-2015, 12:06 PM
All ahead full

AdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud of
Default 1:350 TOS Light Cruiser

As I wind down the construction of the pair of 1:537 scale motion-picture era starships into painting and finishing mode thoughts of the next project are creeping in from the edges. Inspired largely by the work of Dave Lewis, I'm exploring the world of 1:350 for the first time in a TOS version of my Shangri-La design.

I recently came across some concept work on DeviantArt by someone name Lord Schtupp who rendered out an amazingly similar idea that seems to fit as the father of my Shang. I modified the secondary hull in these images to reflect the shape I'd like to pursue, at least initially. I also changed the registry to rechristen this as the Sentinel Class Light Cruiser.

As you can see by the size comparison to the Constitution, this hull is scaled back - both in primary as well as nacelle geometry so simply kit-bashing a 350 E isn't going to be so easy. But that's okay, I'm all about creating entirely new shapes.

This model will also be lit. Another first for me. And as Dave has done with Miranda, I plan on open hangar bays and lots of magnets!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sentinel_color_thumb.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	72190  

Last edited by AdmiralBuck; 08-11-2017 at 03:18 PM.
Old 04-07-2015, 12:51 PM

Heavy Melder has a reputation beyond reputeHeavy Melder has a reputation beyond reputeHeavy Melder has a reputation beyond reputeHeavy Melder has a reputation beyond reputeHeavy Melder has a reputation beyond reputeHeavy Melder has a reputation beyond reputeHeavy Melder has a reputation beyond reputeHeavy Melder has a reputation beyond reputeHeavy Melder has a reputation beyond reputeHeavy Melder has a reputation beyond reputeHeavy Melder has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 1:350 TOS Light Cruiser

Crap. Now I have to add another to the list.......

"This is how Admiral Okita fights."
Old 04-07-2015, 12:59 PM
More dangerous than I look!

zysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati God

Some of the secondary hull shapes and especially the saucer mounted hangar bay are very reminiscent of the Enterprise-E.

Looks like a fun one!
Old 04-07-2015, 01:04 PM
All ahead full

AdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by zysurge View Post
Some of the secondary hull shapes and especially the saucer mounted hangar bay are very reminiscent of the Enterprise-E.

Looks like a fun one!
I do like the blended dorsal idea. Yes, It certainly has an ENT-E look about her as well. While TMP Shangri-La only has the single hangar aft, it makes sense to utilize the secondary bay near the primary as in this concept since I doubt I will be overblowing the impulse engines as I did on Shang. These twin impulse engines look nice and compact and right where they should be.
Old 04-07-2015, 02:00 PM
Imperial

Road Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud of

That is a pretty cool design. Does that stripe denote a "cutter" to your way of thinking?

I'm surprised you're going tos this time but I certainly understand why. You mentioned project, I'm thinking you got more than one you're thinking about.

Last edited by Road Warrior; 04-07-2015 at 02:01 PM.
Old 04-07-2015, 02:13 PM
All ahead full

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Warrior View Post
That is a pretty cool design. Does that stripe denote a "cutter" to your way of thinking?
Thanks! The stripe was on this original concept drawing but I'm not opposed to keeping it. It does seem to denote a "coast guard" motif but as a design element it follows the hull at a nice angle. It also doesn't have to be red either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Warrior View Post
I'm surprised you're going tos this time but I certainly understand why. You mentioned project, I'm thinking you got more than one you're thinking about.
TOS is my other favorite era and I feel the time is right to revisit that. Plus after three straight motion-picture era aztec paint jobs, I'm all for a solid gray for once. I have another 1:537 design command ship (Project ESSEX) which at this point will be put on hold pending the smooth transition to this one.
Old 04-07-2015, 02:24 PM
Imperial

Road Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud of

Sounds great. Essex has me intrigued.
Old 04-07-2015, 05:51 PM

Heavy Melder has a reputation beyond reputeHeavy Melder has a reputation beyond reputeHeavy Melder has a reputation beyond reputeHeavy Melder has a reputation beyond reputeHeavy Melder has a reputation beyond reputeHeavy Melder has a reputation beyond reputeHeavy Melder has a reputation beyond reputeHeavy Melder has a reputation beyond reputeHeavy Melder has a reputation beyond reputeHeavy Melder has a reputation beyond reputeHeavy Melder has a reputation beyond repute

I'm curious Bill, the primary hull is noticeably smaller in diameter than the Constitution class. In 1/350 how are you going to pull it off? Cutting down a 1/350 hull, or maybe using the hull from the cutaway amt kit? Or are you going to bother with it at all? Heck, rinse repeat with the engines. What's the game plan?

"This is how Admiral Okita fights."

Last edited by Heavy Melder; 04-07-2015 at 05:52 PM.
Old 04-07-2015, 07:33 PM
All ahead full

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Melder View Post
I'm curious Bill, the primary hull is noticeably smaller in diameter than the Constitution class. In 1/350 how are you going to pull it off? Cutting down a 1/350 hull, or maybe using the hull from the cutaway amt kit? Or are you going to bother with it at all? Heck, rinse repeat with the engines. What's the game plan?
Correct ~ I'm not sure how much can be gleaned from a 350 E kit. It is likely the major hull components may have to be custom fabricated. Once the orthographic drawings are done, I imagine creating bulkhead formers and skinning in styrene or sculpting hard bucks and vacuforming sections. Hopefully, I can cannibalize the B/C deck and bridge module.

The nacelles will be the trickiest of the whole smash. Ideally, I'd love to be able to use the front and end caps from a 350 and re-master a new tapered nacelle. Either way, it's going to be a fun ride!

Last edited by AdmiralBuck; 04-07-2015 at 07:37 PM.
Old 04-09-2015, 11:35 AM
One-trek Mind

Trekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati God

I like the design. I'm a big fan of any TOS-ish. Looking forward to seeing your progress on this.

"I'm afraid the guilty party is in for a very severe punishment."
Old 04-09-2015, 12:11 PM
It's gonna get real now.

The Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Melder View Post
I'm curious Bill, the primary hull is noticeably smaller in diameter than the Constitution class. In 1/350 how are you going to pull it off?

It might be possible to just move everything in one ring. Cut the outer ring off the saucer top. Then do the lower half like I did on that 1000th Andor:

Make the outer ring of the lower half smaller of course so the saucer edge would be angled however you'd want it.

Whattya think?
Old 04-09-2015, 03:49 PM
All ahead full

Is that cut hull from a 537 refit? There are lots of options on the primary I think.

I even like the idea of keeping the underside fairly flat as in Wasp to allow for more deck room. Even on the E, that concave lower hull shape narrows the space to almost less than a deck in height. On this scaled back primary, mirroring that shape could be too constricting. The profile silhouette does appear to have the same rounded upper primary center with the outer edge trimmed back.
Old 04-09-2015, 04:05 PM
It's gonna get real now.

The Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati God

No sir, that's in 1000th...and soon to be redone in 537th

I agree completely about the flat bottom. The concave area looks fine on a full-diameter saucer but not so much on one like this.
Old 04-09-2015, 05:31 PM
All ahead full

I was originally thinking that I could use the 350 nacelles and surgically section them to scale length-wise - to maintain the front and end caps. I worked up a line drawing to test this theory and discovered that this looks pretty cartoonish. I think I'm going to have to proportionally rescale the nacelles for Sentinel in order for them to feel 'right'.

Last edited by AdmiralBuck; 08-11-2017 at 03:19 PM.
Old 04-09-2015, 05:53 PM
It's gonna get real now.

I see what you mean. In order to maintain that ratio there's no way you can use the 350th nacelles. "Cartoonish" is a good word.

You could damn near get by with 1/537 nacelle parts that are made for the Cutaway kit:

http://www.dlmparts.com/tosparts.html

New domes and end caps, plus he sells lighting kits for them.

You could probably use the nacelles themselves out of the cutaway, but they're about 87% of the length you'll need. It's a heartbreaking POS of a kit.