Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > The Oratory > Wonderfest, Past, Present, and Future!

Old 07-20-2008, 08:20 PM
Battlestar Triton

Griffworks has disabled reputation
Default Brief WonderFest Trip Report

As already mentioned elsewhere, I was able to make it to WonderFest this year. It was pretty short notice, too.

The gist of why I went was that about two weeks back, Wife "found" some extra funds for us. She knows what Wonderfest means to me and had been trying to get me to go for a while any how. I just didn't feel we had the money, plus Leave was going to be a problem for me, as there were too many folks at The Job taking Leave this weekend. However, my Boss needed someone to pull Weekend Duty next weekend and no one else was volunteering, so I did. He also knows what WF means to me, so reminded that the Reg's changed on how far away we can be, distance and time-wise, and that it was w/in the realm of possibility for me to go. So, I worked it out w/Michael, Eric and George/Neb & Marci for places for us to stay and drove up.

Michael Miles and I drove up and arrived at around 7:15pm, local time. Went to the Exec West Lounge and waited for lakespeed, his lady Hannah and others to show up, as they'd gone to the Expo Center for the Lizard Lounge Meet & Greet. Things weren't set up, however, so a lot of folks left. The folks I called all showed up at the EW Lounge, tho, as did Lt ZomBe, Ken/Valkyrie and a bunch of other folks from Starship Modeler. We had an impromptu Unofficial Ugly Shirt Friday Non-Event and all those wearing Ugly Shirts were treated to a round on me, as were all the ladies present, Ugly Shirts or not.

We eventually went over to the Build Or Die Suite at the Exec Inn where we hung out, drank lots of liquor and had a great time. It was at EI that the encounter w/Melvin occured. George, Marci, RallyModeler, Michael Miles and I were heading downstairs to smoke (I brought a couple of nice cigars). The gist there is that I saw him in the downstairs back lobby area, immediately recognized him - he looks like a much older version of the pics that he's posted here - and said "Howdy!" as I walked passed him. He called my name out, so I stopped, turned around and said his name. He tried that "predatory" maneuver to try and get behind me as he said a bunch of stuff that I ignored. I looked him in the eye and told him to bite my ass - then turned my back on him and walked away. He never walked outside to further our "conversation", either.

WonderFest ain't about fights and I was there for a good time. The only thing I was afraid of is if the guy brought a firearm and just started hosing it around and hurt a lot of innocence. Otherwise, I just steered clear of him as I don't want to be remembered as "That guy" who was part of a big stink at a WF event. So, there ya go. I did also go ahead and talk to two LPD officers at the Expo Center the next day and got their advice and take on things.

George was good enough to pick up 2-Day passes for Michael and I so we put our names on them. Michael put "'Professional' Artist" and I put my regular username plus "My Models Suck" beneath that. People thought that was pretty funny. I was a bit disappointed in the badge/pass this year as it had a Dr. Zeius face on it instead of something from BSG or 2001, but that's just my person tastes.

Michael and I stayed that first night w/George and Marci, then got up early to head to the EW for their resteraunts famous breakfast buffet. Met up with more folks, then headed over to the ExpoCenter. Walked around the Dealers Room for a while. I picked up a kit - the Bad Azz Models Valkyrie - and met Jason Eaton, Scott Spicer, Robert "thunderbearr" Vancel and a few other new faces, as well as quite a few "Old Faces" such as JT Graphics, Steven "CultTVman" Iverson, Kirk Schimmerhorn, April/KeptainBarnes, Chris Doll, Tracy of FedMods & his lovely wife Debra, George/LastBattlestar Commander and a whole host of others whose names I immediately forget, so sorry!

The day was sort of a long one, what w/having to either walk over to the Expo Center or wait for the Tram/Shuttlething. It was just faster to walk, tho rather hot. By the time you got to the Expo Center you were pretty well covered in sweat. We walked back to the EW for lunch and I ended up missing the BSG Presentation, sadly. Went up to Eric's room - we were staying w/him that night - and took a brief nap before heading back over to the Expo Center for judging the contest, then Iron Modeler - hosted by Starship Modeler. Met up with even more folks I"d not seen in a while or had never met at IM, which was a lot of fun. Picked a few pieces/parts out of the Resin Drop pile, ate some pizza, had some beer and just generally tried to enjoy myself.

I've got this cyst thing on my lower back, tho, so that made sitting highly uncomfortable by this time on Saturday. I had already made an appointment for a consult last Thursday downtown. The Doc at the on-base clinic said he thinks it's just an infected ingrown hair folical that's out of control - and boy is it! That was the only thing that really put much of a damper on things for me. Just getting to go to WF again was a blast, particularly seeing old friends and putting names to new faces. Even the KTM thing didn't put a damp on things.

Anyhow, the cyst kept me from getting a good nights sleep both Friday and Saturday night, so my butt was really draggin' at the Dealers Room when we got there around 11:15am. Michael and I made some rounds fairly quickly, I got to briefly shake Dirk Benedicts hand and have a few words w/him, was introduced to Scott "Captain Cardboard" Alexander - whom I've known from past experiences when he was briefly associated w/the GI Joe community w/some of his excellent Joe Related products - very briefly said hello to Rick Sternbach.

I stopped back by FedMods and spent more money than I was supposed to on some kit stuff, picked up some of Tracy's Swag, then headed over to Dave/Justicar's table to pick up a few of his kits. Said goodbyes to more folks, talked w/Lee Staton briefly and then we left. Driving back down was a real bitch, too, 'caus I can't wait sit comfortably. I had to make up an ice-pack to put on my lower back so I could tolerate setting. Got one down there right now, as a matter of fact.

Anyhow, while it was all too short - I prefer to go up on Thursday and leave on Monday morning - we still had an awesome time. A bunch of folks were able to put a face to Michael's name, I saw a bunch of old friends and consumed Mass Quantities with them and jus tgenerally enjoyed life. I'm looking forward to doing so again next year, but w/the large suite that I had gotten last year, as well as the usual four days up there instead of just two.

BTW, was expecting REL to show up, as were several other folks. He was supposed to be at the Timeslip Creations table, but apparently just... didn't show. George was a bit surprised by that.

Itís advised that you thoroughly research those from whom you plan to purchase from Garage Kit Manufacturers that you donít know!

Last edited by Griffworks; 07-21-2008 at 11:33 AM. Reason: CORRECT A STATEMENT
Old 07-20-2008, 08:29 PM
Banned

REL Resin Illuminati GodREL Resin Illuminati GodREL Resin Illuminati GodREL Resin Illuminati GodREL Resin Illuminati GodREL Resin Illuminati GodREL Resin Illuminati GodREL Resin Illuminati GodREL Resin Illuminati GodREL Resin Illuminati GodREL Resin Illuminati God
Default Re: Brief WonderFest Trip Report

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffworks View Post

BTW, was expecting REL to show up, as were several other folks. He was supposed to be at the Timeslip Creations table, but apparently just... didn't show. George was a bit surprised by that.

No I didn't just "apparently didn't show"I wasn't able to get anything done. I have an Ent D halfway finished, but it wasn't in any condition to move it. I think I mentioned about 100 times if I got something done I'd go. I told George the same thing, so I don't know why he's surprised.
Old 07-20-2008, 08:43 PM
Battlestar Triton

Now, don't get all upset. I was just passing on what George said. Honestly, I was hoping to meet you so that we could discuss some of our recent disagreements face-to-face. That's one of the great things about WonderFest - I've sat down over an adult libation with a few folks I've had past disagreements w/and worked things out.

Itís advised that you thoroughly research those from whom you plan to purchase from Garage Kit Manufacturers that you donít know!
Old 07-20-2008, 08:45 PM
Banned

REL Resin Illuminati GodREL Resin Illuminati GodREL Resin Illuminati GodREL Resin Illuminati GodREL Resin Illuminati GodREL Resin Illuminati GodREL Resin Illuminati GodREL Resin Illuminati GodREL Resin Illuminati GodREL Resin Illuminati GodREL Resin Illuminati God

Alright that's fine, and I agree most of the time people work stuff out in person when they get into fights online.

Well I worked like mad that week to get something done, all the way up till Fri afternoon, I figured I could drive up there Fri night and get there early Sat, but it just wasn't going to happen. I was as upset as anyone that I couldn't go.
Old 07-20-2008, 08:58 PM
Battlestar Triton

Well, there's always next year, then.

Old 07-20-2008, 09:00 PM
Chef in Training

Talen has a reputation beyond reputeTalen has a reputation beyond reputeTalen has a reputation beyond reputeTalen has a reputation beyond reputeTalen has a reputation beyond reputeTalen has a reputation beyond reputeTalen has a reputation beyond reputeTalen has a reputation beyond reputeTalen has a reputation beyond reputeTalen has a reputation beyond reputeTalen has a reputation beyond repute

I made a joke over in the Melvar thread not knowing this was over here...

Well we officially know that Joe is a pussy, though not having an altercation is a good thing, it now appears he is all internet bluster.

I do swear that before I or any of you guys die I will make it to WF, and I'm glad you got to go Jeff, I could tell it was really bumming you out at the thought of not going.
Old 07-20-2008, 09:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talen View Post
I made a joke over in the Melvar thread not knowing this was over here...

Well we officially know that Joe is a pussy, though not having an altercation is a good thing, it now appears he is all internet bluster.

I do swear that before I or any of you guys die I will make it to WF, and I'm glad you got to go Jeff, I could tell it was really bumming you out at the thought of not going.
I don't understand why he went at all.
Old 07-20-2008, 09:06 PM
Chef in Training

Talen has a reputation beyond reputeTalen has a reputation beyond reputeTalen has a reputation beyond reputeTalen has a reputation beyond reputeTalen has a reputation beyond reputeTalen has a reputation beyond reputeTalen has a reputation beyond reputeTalen has a reputation beyond reputeTalen has a reputation beyond reputeTalen has a reputation beyond reputeTalen has a reputation beyond repute

His ego...would be my guess
Old 07-20-2008, 11:00 PM

U-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talen View Post
His ego...would be my guess
Gotta agree with ya' Talen.

If someone had started something with him,he could play the...

"I'm such a victim!Why doesn't anyone like me?I didn't do anything!"

card.

Griff,you're a real class act!You handled the situation
appropriately and professionally.

(No matter how much you may have wanted to give him a good ol' fashioned beat down.)
Old 07-20-2008, 11:13 PM

Lord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati GodLord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati GodLord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati GodLord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati GodLord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati GodLord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati GodLord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati GodLord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati GodLord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati GodLord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati GodLord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati God

Griff, you suck! Lucky bugger!

Next year, kemosabe, unless more stupid crap happens! Can't believe you passed on a chance to give Mellvar a piece of your mind. You have a lot more self control than I do, that's for sure! Rep for you, amigo!

Please consider making a donation to Shriner's Hospitals For Children.
Old 07-21-2008, 01:51 AM

rider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati God

Quote:
Originally Posted by mech View Post
Tell us, though, did Melvin have throngs of fans, waiting for autographs and signed rolls of TP? Were there many folks, swooning to here his every word?
Old 07-21-2008, 02:48 AM
Mostly Harmless

777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God
Wink Re: Brief WonderFest Trip Report

self deleted.

Last edited by 777; 07-21-2008 at 03:00 AM. Reason: could be taken the wrong way...
Old 07-21-2008, 03:25 AM
Glacial Pace Builder

LastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffworks View Post
I picked up a kit - the Bad Azz Models Valkyrie - and met George/LastBattlestar Commander
Hey, I was only about 15,000km away...sadly.

GREAT report Griff; glad to hear you had a good time and kudos to you for handling your meeting with KTM so professionally. Well done.

My question is: do you have any pics of the Galactica display? Please, please, it's killing me!

I'll get over the one day and hand with you guys, I swear!

Mike, Oz
Old 07-21-2008, 05:26 AM
...By the power of Grayskull

Raist3001 Resin Illuminati GodRaist3001 Resin Illuminati GodRaist3001 Resin Illuminati GodRaist3001 Resin Illuminati GodRaist3001 Resin Illuminati GodRaist3001 Resin Illuminati GodRaist3001 Resin Illuminati GodRaist3001 Resin Illuminati GodRaist3001 Resin Illuminati GodRaist3001 Resin Illuminati GodRaist3001 Resin Illuminati God

And you proved Griff that you ARE the better man.

Old 07-21-2008, 05:35 AM
Battlestar Triton

D'oh! Sorry, Mike! I plead road-lag and general stupidity in putting the "last" in front of George's (from Timeslip) username. That and the discomfort from the frakkin' cyst. Headin' out in about 45 minutes to see the surgeon for the consult. The damned thing "popped" at some point last night and was draining.

I didn't really pay a whole lot of attention to what Melvin was doing so much as just keeping an eye out for him. I wasn't about to have him come up from behind me and shank me, sucker punch the back of my head or something similar. I didn't notice throngs of people following him, tho. Just a blonde lady whom I never got a close look at. She mostly sort of hovered in the distance. I was surprised that Jimi/Bol loD didn't ask everyone "Is she hot...?"

I do know that Melvin was slagging my name as often as he could to whoever would listen. Both Chris Doll and Tracy of FedMods told me he had a lot to say about me, as did one of the other vendors. Tracy sold him a 1/1400 Nova-class that Melvin got signed by Rick Sternbach and then gave to Tracy - as a sort of trade deal. Maybe that's some of the nice personality that Tony & Scott have talked about in the past. Or maybe he was just trying to score some points. I dunno and don't much care.

As to the rest dealing w/Melvin, WonderFest isn't about fighting and feuding. It's about The Hobby and all the good that it encompasses. As I said previously, I've sat down w/folks whom I've had issues in the past and we've worked things out. In fact, we've come out of it all with friendships. And it's always good to see old friends.

One story I forgot to mention is that I'd messed my back up pretty badly when we moved in early June. For a while it hurt so bad I couldn't sit still for more than a few minutes before the fidgiting started up and walking long-distances was a real strain, as well. Well, a bit over a month ago I went and saw The Doc and I've been going thru Physical Therapy. This has my back fairly well healed up or at least enogh to where my family and I have taken some long evening walks. As such, I"ve dropped around 10lbs to 15lbs somewhat quickly, tho that's prolly also helped because my office is upstairs and I walk up and down a flight of stairs prolly a dozen times a day as a minimum.

So, there's all this construction at the Executive West which caused all of the events for WonderFest to be held at the Expo Center. You could wait 20+ minutes for the tram to take you over or you could walk. One of the times I walked over by myself was just before 5pm and I was in a bit of a hurry to get to the Dealers Room before it closed up so that I could find Drew for the judging part of things. Instead of just being patient another three or so minutes, I ran out just as a light turned green at an intersection about 200m away. I sprinted across w/time to spare - but as I was running, my shorts were loose and my cell phone holster came right off the waist band as I was stepping up on the curb, bounced once and then the phone and holster landed in separate locations dead center in the lane closest to me.

I didn't have quite enough time to step out and grab them both, so instead tried to signal the drivers to slow down a bit and pointed at my cell phone at the same time. The first seven of eight drivers drove straight and true and only my holster was run over - which I could live with. However, that 8th driver decided to change lanes - right over my phone. They clipped it instead of running straight over it, but the damage was enough that the screen is fried. Otherwise, it worked just fine and if I remembered who the last couple of callers were, I could easily enough just do the re-dial thing. The screen looks psychodelic in that tie-dyed sort of way, too. Wife's going to get me a new phone later today and have them transfer all the numbers over.

Other than that, it was a great WonderFest, just that I was there for too short a time.