Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > Works in Progress > Sci-Fi and Fantasy

Sci-Fi and Fantasy Sci-Fi and Fantasy WIPs

Old 09-06-2020, 06:46 AM

Madhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Zvezda Star Destroyer - a new detailing project

thanks Bill
hey guys

Well, the cursed COVID continues and so does this build. Over 2 years now and lots more to do. I've slowed down a bit lately due to other things on the go but there is some progress - probably not as much as you'd like. but there is some

I spent a few hours on the dome thing on the bottom and I am pretty happy with how it's come out (one 1 side anyway - haven't done the other yet). I've added stuff to the man hull plates and now I'm concentrating on the raise edges along the center of the ship. I'm going to do concentrated pockets of details here and there but lessen it as I work outward

You can see the difference in the 2 sides one of the overall shots. It's pretty bare on the right and not so much on the left. As I say frequently, I need to be careful not to loose the sheer size of it with too much detail. From afar, and under paint, it'll look a lot less busy but up close is where the time spent on this will come through.

Anyway, enough words, you came to see pics, so here's my latest update

Looks like I need to fix a couple of sprue pipe too:

Anyways, that's all I have sorry. Sorry for the yellowish photos but I couldn't be bothered getting the light tent set up tonight, but next time, I'll hopefully have better quality photos

As always, thanks for stopping by and having a look!

Stay safe and I'll catch you round the boards

Si
Old 09-06-2020, 03:11 PM

Bridger is on a distinguished road

This is amazing! How small are the hull plates you add to the model?
Old 09-08-2020, 07:21 PM

Madhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to behold

thanks mate. The plates mostly are about 1-3mm - depending on where I want them to go. Some of the chips are less than 0.25mm wide.

Here are a couple of pics of the start of my base. Doesn't look much now but these are just detail tiles which will form a much bigger area later on

Yes, there will be a trench for X-Wings to run down to

This base idea is nothing new, but I have always wanted to have a go at building something like this and this is the perfect time. If it fails, then I'll just stick to a pole and mirror (with something built along the sides or similar. I have a back up plan!)
Old 09-09-2020, 09:05 AM
All ahead full

AdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud of

These details - even on your base - are mind-boggling! Will you create a "tile" master square and then cast it to cover the remainder of the base surface?
Old 09-09-2020, 04:27 PM

KWSTAS is a jewel in the roughKWSTAS is a jewel in the roughKWSTAS is a jewel in the roughKWSTAS is a jewel in the roughKWSTAS is a jewel in the roughKWSTAS is a jewel in the rough

Awesome build. The detailing and the parts you are using remind me of
a Venator build by Yata-Siith in a long gone yahoo account page. I guess
that you 're the same person. I hope that some day we 'll see again your
creations from that page.
Thanks for sharing your work.
Old 09-09-2020, 04:35 PM

thanks mate
No, I'm definitely not Yatasith but it was his work that inspired me to detail like this. Sadly, I don't think he posts much stuff online anymore. I haven't found any further work from him in a long time. He was in hospital a couple of years ago after having what I believe was a heart attack and since then, nothing.
Old 09-10-2020, 10:12 AM

KWSTAS is a jewel in the roughKWSTAS is a jewel in the roughKWSTAS is a jewel in the roughKWSTAS is a jewel in the roughKWSTAS is a jewel in the roughKWSTAS is a jewel in the rough

Very sad news. ope that he is doing OK.
Anyway, keep up the good work, I am
following the thread since yesterday that
I discovered it.
Old 09-28-2020, 05:32 PM

Hi everyone

Well, my replacement grid sheets finally arrived last week and I have now finished my master which I will make a cast of tomorrow and hopefully, will be able to produce enough copies to cover a large area.

Started off with this:

Ended up with this:

Yeah its not perfect but I'm still happy with it

Will post the results of the casting even if it fails

In regards to side mounting this, I may have a solution for this. It won't be as pretty as I was hoping for but I haven't been able to bend brass tube successfully without kinking it.

Thanks for looking

Si
Old 09-28-2020, 06:38 PM

Tiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant future

Even generic looking tiles come out looking awesome! I'd say I'm happy with it to.

http://thome216.imgur.com/

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z156/Thome216/
Old 09-29-2020, 05:57 PM
The Kiwi

Location: Out there. Thataway. New Zealand actually. The country Universal Studios left off their globe...
Jim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madhatter View Post
It won't be as pretty as I was hoping for but I haven't been able to bend brass tube successfully without kinking it.
Have you considered using a pipe or tube bender (such as plumbers use)?
Perhaps a local plumbers merchant could do it for you or you may even be able to rent one.
Old 09-29-2020, 10:49 PM

I have a pipe bender but it's still kinking the pipes. I've tried various methods of bending but on each occasion, it kinked or broke the brass tube. I'm now looking at using solid rod and attaching the wires to the outside of it via shrink wrap.

Sadly the casting didn't work due to the resin being too old. I've had to buy more resin today so am now waiting for that to arrive. However, I'm also going to cheat and am scrapping the original base and have ordered a 3D printed tile in 1/2700 scale which I will take a mold of and cast numerous copies. This will give me a much more detailed base than I can make by hand.
Old 10-02-2020, 09:09 PM

Nostromo has a brilliant futureNostromo has a brilliant futureNostromo has a brilliant futureNostromo has a brilliant futureNostromo has a brilliant futureNostromo has a brilliant futureNostromo has a brilliant futureNostromo has a brilliant futureNostromo has a brilliant futureNostromo has a brilliant futureNostromo has a brilliant future

Loving it, keep those updates coming!
Old 10-06-2020, 04:13 PM

Thanks guys! Bill, I'm so sorry I missed your post earlier - I just didn't see it. In answer to it though, yes, that was the plan and still is

​ While I wait for my new 3D printed tile to arrive, I have been quietly working away on the ship and have finally finished one side. Now I just need to start the other side....
Trying to get a shuffle on this one as I want it done for Expo next year (providing its on of course)

Well, that's it for now, but as always, thanks for looking!
Cheers
Si
Old 10-06-2020, 06:48 PM

Tiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant future

I love those little spots of 'congested' details!

http://thome216.imgur.com/

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z156/Thome216/
Old 10-06-2020, 07:27 PM

thanks Thom, Yeah, I add areas of concentrated details here and there - solely for interest