Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > Finished Models > Sci-Fi and Fantasy

Sci-Fi and Fantasy Finished Sci-Fi and Fantasy projects

Old 04-09-2013, 02:55 PM
One-trek Mind

Trekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati God
Default Klingon D7-1/650 scale reissue by AMT

Still the most iconic badass villain ship in all of science fiction, at least in my opinion, the original Klingon Battlecruiser!
This is the 1/650 scale reissue by AMT which I just finished.
These pics were taken on my lunch hour today using my space backdrop and ambient sunlight from the garage door windows.
I'll take more against a neutral backdrop this weekend as you really can't see much of the weathering in these pics...

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3835.JPG
Views:	222
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	63129  

"I'm afraid the guilty party is in for a very severe punishment."

Last edited by Trekriffic; 04-09-2013 at 02:56 PM.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:44 AM
It's gonna get real now.

The Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati God
Default Re: Klingon D7-1/650 scale reissue by AMT

That looks friggen fantastic. I have to agree with you about it being THE most badass ship of all time. There are newer designs that are menacing, and maybe more 'capable' in-universe, but the D-7A is the ORIGINAL.

Last edited by The Cat; 04-10-2013 at 06:46 AM.
Old 04-11-2013, 03:38 PM
It's gonna get real now.

The Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati God

Hey, what colors did you use on that ship?
Old 04-11-2013, 04:08 PM
One-trek Mind

Trekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati God

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cat View Post
Hey, what colors did you use on that ship?
I used Custom Replicas' recipe for their three tone paint scheme on their 1/350 scale model although I thought for this scale it needed to be lightened up a tad so I added more white:

Basically the command pod, the structures on top of the pod command deck, and the triangular bits at the base on either side of the boom where it connects to the engineering hull were the lightest tone of pale blue-green, the boom itself and the lower and side surfaces of the engineering hull along with the nacelles were a slightly darker tone of the same color. The upper hull surfaces on the top of the command deck, engineering hull, impulse/hangar bay structure on top, and the outward facing surfaces of the wings were the blue-grey color. I used ModelMaster chrome silver, aluminum, and steel on selected bits. After the color coats I shot the whole model with a thinned down coat of ghost grey though to unify and mute the contrast between the colors. I used Tamiya gunmetal pastel chalk to for overall weathering after airbrushing the base colors but before applying the final thinned grey overcoat. Then I went back in and reapplied weathering to the undersides of areas like the panels on the engineering hull impulse/hangar deck housing, the lower half of the "jelly bean" structure on the top of the command pod, and recesses in the sides of the nacelles, and the underside of the command deck. The model was shot with Glosscote, decaled, glosscoted again, and finally shot with Dullcote for a dead matte finish.

The ship looks grey in most of the photos I've taken but in person you can see the subtle green and grey paint scheme quite clearly.

You can see some of the pale green tone on the nacelle in this pic:

Here are some closeups...

Closeup of the mouth of the deflector/sensor tunnel.
I cut off the kit spike in the back and made a new one out of brass rod turned on my dremel:

I was going for something like this as seen on the studio model:

More pics...

You can see the rest including work-in-progress shots here:

http://s146.photobucket.com/user/Tre...69840060827398

Last edited by Trekriffic; 04-11-2013 at 04:17 PM.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:41 PM
It's gonna get real now.

Interesting how you lengthened the engines. Subtle mod, but it made a difference.

Those colors are now on my shopping list - thank you!
Old 04-12-2013, 05:37 AM
More dangerous than I look!

zysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati God

Very cool.

I had never seen that picture of the inside if the tunnel before. Never knew there was anything at all in there....
Old 04-12-2013, 02:02 PM
One-trek Mind

Quote:
Interesting how you lengthened the engines. Subtle mod, but it made a difference.

Those colors are now on my shopping list - thank you!

I got the idea to lengthen the nacelles from someone else on another forum who did an older kit and spent a lot of time accurizing it.
BTW, I was just looking at that photo I posted of the color chart and realized it cuts off some of the information at the margins so I've attached the Custom Replicas article discussing the paint scheme. The thing about the color chart is, if you follow their instructions, the colors are a darker shade than they show in the pictures. So you'll need to play with the ratios by adding more white if you want the lighter tones like I did.
Attached Files
File Type: doc D7 Paint Scheme.doc (343.0 KB, 223 views)

Last edited by Trekriffic; 04-12-2013 at 02:10 PM.
Old 04-12-2013, 02:08 PM
One-trek Mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by zysurge View Post
Very cool.

I had never seen that picture of the inside if the tunnel before. Never knew there was anything at all in there....
Yeah. Neither did I until I found that photo.

Old 04-17-2013, 07:30 AM
It's gonna get real now.

Purchased said colors and will be giving it a go this weekend
Old 05-01-2013, 11:11 AM
One-trek Mind

Quote:
Purchased said colors and will be giving it a go this weekend
Just curious, did you try out the colors on your model Cat?

Old 05-01-2013, 11:25 AM
It's gonna get real now.

I sure didn't - I needed to order a certain Alclad color before I could do what I needed to do
Old 05-04-2013, 11:30 PM
It's gonna get real now.

I just shot the darker green color and I have to say I LOVE it. I just can't wait for it to dry so I can shoot the blue-gray!
Old 05-20-2013, 03:13 PM

chrisisall has a spectacular aura aboutchrisisall has a spectacular aura aboutchrisisall has a spectacular aura aboutchrisisall has a spectacular aura aboutchrisisall has a spectacular aura about

Just amazing work sir!
Old 04-19-2014, 10:25 PM
It's gonna get real now.

Resurrecting this, I needs it for reference