Resin Illuminati
Go Back   Resin Illuminati > CGI, Costumes, Props, Artwork, Action Figures > Costumes and Props

Costumes and Props Costumes, Prosthetics, Props, and Makeup

Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-27-2011, 02:08 AM
NAZGŪL's Avatar
NAZGŪL NAZGŪL is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 690
NAZGŪL has a brilliant futureNAZGŪL has a brilliant futureNAZGŪL has a brilliant futureNAZGŪL has a brilliant futureNAZGŪL has a brilliant futureNAZGŪL has a brilliant futureNAZGŪL has a brilliant futureNAZGŪL has a brilliant futureNAZGŪL has a brilliant futureNAZGŪL has a brilliant futureNAZGŪL has a brilliant future
Default E-11 blaster, Doopydoos full resin kit


just finished a resin kit of the E-11 blaster seen in ANH. There are many configurations on the E-11s used in the film. I went for the one without the hengstler counter and power cylinders and wires. Im a big fan of the Sterling design. so I guess thats why I like it that version.

About the project: I wanted a look of the beat up Sterlings like this excellent one (made by Darth Stone):

Being a 501st member I also plan to use this on troops, so I couldnt go all the way on some accuracy things. The stock rail holes (under it) could have been drilled out, but that would have made it to weak IMO.

The doopydoos kit is cast on original Sterling parts, so its very accurate. I decided to make my own trigger guard and front aim in metal. I look at this kit as a learning version for me, and choosed to go for a thin metal as it was easy to work with. Next time Ill go for thicker metal. The aiming parts are made of resin leftovers and a cut off pin.

I also made a new plate at the end of the mag. The original didnt look correct. I made it off styrene and a thumbtack behind the hole.

The screws in the front looks bad on the doobys kit, (I guess from the molding process) so I drilled these out and replaced them with heads from real screw heads (I hope thats the right term ), looking like the originals.

I made metal parts to go inside it (spring etc) and make it look functional.

The scope rail was made from a really old license plate I had lying around. It looks to have the right thichness and have a great rusty patina, that to me just feels ANH and what I wanted with this build. There is little love for the wonky scopes of the original props, and most seem to make a perfectly straight and pretty rail for their E-11, but I love the dodgy originals. But maybe I overdid it.

I drilled out the two front holes on the stock a little, making them deeper.

Paint job: After primer I painted the body silver and scope gold. After that I used flat black for the gun and glossy black for the grip and scope.

Weathering was made by sanding and scratching trying to replicate the worn look. The handle on the originals are plastic, and getting that look aged was the hardest part. I was a little worried about the scope, but it turned out ok.

Finally a lot of black, gray and brown washes were used.

Problems with this build up: some air bubbles that I didnt think would matter, but looking at it now they are bugging me.

I also had a problem with the positioning of the handle and mag. I got them slightly off, so next time Ill be more thorough.

I made a step by step on the paint job if anyones interested, but its pretty straight forward.

Reply With Quote

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:52 PM.

Developed by

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.