Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > Works in Progress > Sci-Fi and Fantasy

Sci-Fi and Fantasy Sci-Fi and Fantasy WIPs

Old 01-27-2018, 09:54 AM

srspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant future
Default Re: SSD commission custom build

Thank you sir!

Plastruct is our friend!! Using various sizes of styrene strips, I will stack a couple at a time and use a barrel burr in my flex-shaft and create the different notches. Once cleaned up, I file some of the notches to square them off. Just a quick pass with the file, nothing fancy. Many are just quickly cut on angles and put in place.

What you have to keep in mind is what is being re-created, ship decking and platforms from model kits. Snap, its done in a jiffy!!
Old 01-27-2018, 04:29 PM

Madhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to behold

that's an interesting way of doing it with the burr and flex-shaft. I'll have to remember that technique for future use
Speaking of SSD's, I had my Korbanth out last night marking out where to grind down some of the resin for lighting. It's such a big kit, and I was thinking your one would be the right size for me. Anyways, I have what I have and I will build it
Old 02-17-2018, 04:05 AM

srspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant future

An update-finally!!
Having to create removable sections has slowed things down a bit, but onward I go......The client has requested the bridge be larger than the standard SSD. The Vengeance has improved protection via enlarged shield generators.
( more on the website )
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SSD47.jpg (67.2 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg SSD43.jpg (68.0 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg SSD45.jpg (41.4 KB, 29 views)
Old 02-18-2018, 06:02 AM
Humble Aspirant

SCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to all

Very nice work
-SF
Old 02-19-2018, 02:08 AM

Madhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to behold

Very nice work so far.
I'm not going to give out empty praises by saying I love the bridge. In my small minded opinion, it looks too much like a ship funnel and not a bridge. But that's the only thing I am not a fan of.!!! Everything else is awesome.. !!!!!
Old 02-21-2018, 07:24 PM

I prefer empty praises!!!

I actually agree with you, it looks too much like something from a modern warship. I will re-make the bridge.
Old 03-05-2018, 08:08 PM

OK time for an update.
More work on the top city-scapes and....a NEW bridge..more on the website.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SSD64.jpg (97.3 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg SSD65.jpg (118.8 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg SSD68.jpg (107.1 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg SSD61.jpg (97.5 KB, 22 views)
Old 03-30-2018, 11:55 AM

Often wrong Soong is just really niceOften wrong Soong is just really niceOften wrong Soong is just really niceOften wrong Soong is just really niceOften wrong Soong is just really niceOften wrong Soong is just really niceOften wrong Soong is just really niceOften wrong Soong is just really niceOften wrong Soong is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by srspicer View Post
Made some more progress, cutting plastic and such. But I wanted to show what I did for the model stand. As I stated before, I don't like the 'on a pole' model stand. What I am doing is supporting the model from the side. I will be creating an empire logo for the back of the base which will be part of model stand.
I used brass rectangular tubing and soldered it together to create the internal support. I will also use the tubing to run wires to the internals. I placed an aluminum block on top of the support tube, and it easily holds the model in place with no twisting or forward drop to the model. It worked better than I thought. As long as I keep the circuit boards centered around the support rod, there should be no issues with the model drooping or twisting in any direction.

I did away with the idea of magnets because of the internal circuit boards and wiring, which will all have to be balanced inside for proper weight distribution. I don't deal with another technical layer to this build.

(I place a red arrow in the images to better see the support.)

More soon.
Nice!! I love the SSD, capturing the micro detail at that scale is gonna be a trick, looking forward to seeing how you tackle it. I was planning on mounting my Zvezda SD from the side when I get around to it but you beat me to the punch!
Old 04-08-2018, 04:57 AM

Love that new bridge - it looks much better and a nice move away from the traditional wedge shape. The whole ship looks awesome - great work
Old 04-15-2018, 09:08 AM

The cityscapes are finished, with some minor changes, and lots of guns!!
Thanks for looking!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SSD79.jpg (80.8 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg SSD83.jpg (83.2 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg SSD75.jpg (72.9 KB, 13 views)