Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > Works in Progress > Sci-Fi and Fantasy

Sci-Fi and Fantasy Sci-Fi and Fantasy WIPs

Old 10-13-2015, 06:28 PM
It's gonna get real now.

The Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati God
Default 1/350 U.S.S. Miranda Refit - Star Trek Reliant Conversion

At long last - a dream has come true! A Reliant in 1/350!

This build will be of DonS' Reliant Conversion for the PL/R2 Refit Enterprise. (Check his thread out if you haven't already).

I received mine today and, well, I love it.

Here are a few pics:

She will be the Miranda after her 2285 refit - an update of this ship.

Torpedo pod. Note the sharp detail:

Top of the blockhouse:

Beautifulness:

Early thoughts -
  • This won't be a very difficult build. Like the Refit E, much of the total work will be tied up in finishing and painting.
  • Speaking of the Refit E, I'm planning to do a TMP-style pearl Aztec finish on her.
  • It will need an armature for strength.
  • It will be fully lit. Raytheon effect in full force - almost all the areas that call for that kind of lighting are white styrene. The only area that won't work will be the pennants on the pylons. I can live with that.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Miranda-1sm.jpg (49.5 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by The Cat; 03-10-2016 at 03:06 PM.
Old 10-14-2015, 05:50 AM
Lets... Lets do that!

Miketech1982 is just really niceMiketech1982 is just really niceMiketech1982 is just really niceMiketech1982 is just really niceMiketech1982 is just really niceMiketech1982 is just really niceMiketech1982 is just really niceMiketech1982 is just really nice
Default Re: 1/350 U.S.S. Miranda Refit - Star Trek Reliant Conversion

A thought on your spot lighting, before you go with Raytheon, try out some smds in 0402 or 0603. suckers are TINY!! You can get them pre-wired, and they really make great flood lights. HDAmodelworxs has them pretty cheap. So the experimnet wouldnt cost that much if you wanted to give it a try. If you are going TMP 5 color for your aztec pattern, the light casting across the hull vs shining through it would look SOOOO much better. Either way, I know this is going to be an awesome build. All you need now is a TMP style bridge in 1/32 to go with it

The result of a love of the hobby, and way too much time on my hands.

Last edited by Miketech1982; 10-14-2015 at 06:04 AM.
Old 10-14-2015, 07:09 AM
It's gonna get real now.

The Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miketech1982 View Post
A thought on your spot lighting, before you go with Raytheon, try out some smds in 0402 or 0603. suckers are TINY!! You can get them pre-wired, and they really make great flood lights. HDAmodelworxs has them pretty cheap. So the experimnet wouldnt cost that much if you wanted to give it a try. If you are going TMP 5 color for your aztec pattern, the light casting across the hull vs shining through it would look SOOOO much better. Either way, I know this is going to be an awesome build.
That sounds like a great idea - especially for the saucer. I'll definitely look into it

Quote:
All you need now is a TMP style bridge in 1/32 to go with it

YOU ARE A BAD INFLUENCE!!!! BAD, BAD INFLUENCE!!!!

*That* would be an undertaking and a half right there.

Thoughts on the build thus far - I built the TOS from the bottom up. I built the lower hull and sides first, added the internals, and then installed the 'roof' on the blockhouse and the top of the saucer.

This one may have to be built the other way - build the top and sides, then the internals, and then add the bottom.

Reason being, I'll have to cut into the blockhouse piece. It would be easier to make access plates on the bottom than the top, plus it'd be better for structural integrity to do it that way.
Old 10-14-2015, 07:27 AM
Lets... Lets do that!

Miketech1982 is just really niceMiketech1982 is just really niceMiketech1982 is just really niceMiketech1982 is just really niceMiketech1982 is just really niceMiketech1982 is just really niceMiketech1982 is just really niceMiketech1982 is just really nice

Don't tell me you haven't already been considering it...hahahaha

Ive been talking to a guy on trekyards that is working on feasablility of casting the walls... Idk if he is serious or not, but never know

Is the block house solid? I can picture how you are needing to build this one vs. how you did the TOS version, but how much into the block house are you needing to cut?

Old 10-14-2015, 07:34 AM
It's gonna get real now.

Quote:

Don't tell me you haven't already been considering it...hahahaha

Yes as a matter of fact I have!

Quote:
I've been talking to a guy on trekyards that is working on feasablility of casting the walls... Idk if he is serious or not, but never know
I HOPE SO. That would be another grail kit.

Quote:
Is the block house solid? I can picture how you are needing to build this one vs. how you did the TOS version, but how much into the block house are you needing to cut?

No, the blockhouse is hollow. It's rotocast. (Thank God). If it was solid, I wouldn't have bought this kit - there'd be waaaay too much milling out to do in the resin.

I'm going to do some exploratory later and post some pics.

Another thought - I like the kit engine pylons but will probably scratch new ones from styrene. I need as much room in them as I can get for engine mounting hardware plus the (estimated) six wires and plugs that will go to the engines.
Old 10-14-2015, 08:12 AM
Lets... Lets do that!

"Another thought - I like the kit engine pylons but will probably scratch new ones from styrene. I need as much room in them as I can get for engine mounting hardware plus the (estimated) six wires and plugs that will go to the engines."

Idk what electrical effects system youre considering, but here's a thought I am toying with on my (one day) build where im going to need an armature...

Use the support structure/metal pylon mounts as your ground. Atleast going into the pylons. You could theoretically eliminate half of your wiring going into the nacelles. (This will only work if your effects are power switching and not ground switching.) What you do is to solder your ground wire to the armature itself and then run your three or four power wires for the warp grille, strobes, and spot lights. then pick your ground back up and seperate them to the individual lights inside the nacelle. If your system activates by turning the power on, meaning there is constant ground, and your effects are activated by truning power on/off, then having a common ground will not affect anything. and everything will work just fine. but if your effects system uses a ground controlled system meaning everything constantly gets power but is turned on by adding ground, then this will not work.

Old 10-14-2015, 08:43 AM
acceptus est impugnatio

Raytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati God

Miketechs idea is a good one to try my feline friend, another thing to consider is which issue of the refit kit you have.
If it's an original PL issue then the back lighting hoo-ha shouldn't be a problem.

If it's the Round2 issue then that's a prob. The plastic they used tends to make white light have a distinctly yellowish cast to it which is far from ideal.
If you have a spare white LED laying about, wire the bugger up, apply current then take a good long look. I know not if the Round2 issue has changed in plastic formulation since the last time I took a look at it but better safe than sorry.
And I have a fuckin' attitude.
Does that count?

Last edited by Raytheon; 10-14-2015 at 08:44 AM.
Old 10-14-2015, 10:21 AM
It's gonna get real now.

Quote:
"Another thought - I like the kit engine pylons but will probably scratch new ones from styrene. I need as much room in them as I can get for engine mounting hardware plus the (estimated) six wires and plugs that will go to the engines."

Idk what electrical effects system youre considering, but here's a thought I am toying with on my (one day) build where im going to need an armature...

I'm thinking something along the lines of William Mann's board because of its r/c features but I may change my mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raytheon View Post
Miketechs idea is a good one to try my feline friend, another thing to consider is which issue of the refit kit you have.
If it's an original PL issue then the back lighting hoo-ha shouldn't be a problem.
Just so happens I have an early issue! Whew.
Old 10-14-2015, 12:52 PM
Humble Aspirant

SCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to all

Are there tubes cast in the rollbar and pylons?

In an earlier thread, DonS was hoping to:

"I'm planning to cast in tubing in the pylons and rollbar to act as both lighting conduit and stiffeners.....not sure the rollbar could support the weight of the launcher without help."
Old 10-14-2015, 01:17 PM
It's gonna get real now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCI-FI View Post
Are there tubes cast in the rollbar and pylons?

In an earlier thread, DonS was hoping to:

"I'm planning to cast in tubing in the pylons and rollbar to act as both lighting conduit and stiffeners.....not sure the rollbar could support the weight of the launcher without help."

Yes. Aluminum tubes in the pylons and brass in the rollbar. He's right - there would probably be sag issues in the rollbar without the tubes.
Old 10-14-2015, 02:45 PM
Humble Aspirant

SCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cat View Post
Yes. Aluminum tubes in the pylons and brass in the rollbar. He's right - there would probably be sag issues in the rollbar without the tubes.
Woo!

Can't wait for my turn...
Old 10-14-2015, 03:21 PM
Humble Aspirant

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cat View Post
Any pictures? Or, more to the point, do you have any opinion on how helpful they would be in lighting? (Space for how many wires, etc?)

Many thanks-
Old 10-14-2015, 05:22 PM
Large Member

DonS is a glorious beacon of lightDonS is a glorious beacon of lightDonS is a glorious beacon of lightDonS is a glorious beacon of lightDonS is a glorious beacon of lightDonS is a glorious beacon of lightDonS is a glorious beacon of lightDonS is a glorious beacon of lightDonS is a glorious beacon of lightDonS is a glorious beacon of light

The tubes are 1/8" and should carry 2 wires, possibly 3...don't think any more than that would fit.

I was thinking that's enough to carry power and ground and maybe a third wire for signal for a multiplexed setup ....distribution blocks or a small board in the nacelles and launcher could serve as connection points for wires to the individual lights. I know there's not a lot of room in the nacelles for even a little control board but I don't think a bigger tube could be successfully cast into the pylons or rollbar.

I will definitely be watching this thread with interest!

Or visit my CG gallery: www.eclectric-fx.com
Old 10-14-2015, 06:56 PM
Humble Aspirant

Aces!
Or, in Pixar-parlance:

"I'm still geekin' out about it..."

Last edited by SCI-FI; 10-14-2015 at 06:58 PM.
Old 10-14-2015, 06:57 PM
It's gonna get real now.

Don's got a point. There are some really slender areas in there and that tubing barely fits as it is. You can probably run three very fine gauge wires up in them....three on each side for the torpedo pod.

Don, I have an impending move coming up so she won't get finished anytime soon, but she will be at least structurally together

Speaking of, Don, what location did you have in mind for the cutting of the upper saucer half?