Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > Works in Progress > Sci-Fi and Fantasy

Sci-Fi and Fantasy Sci-Fi and Fantasy WIPs

Old 03-24-2018, 05:03 PM
Battlestar Triton

Griffworks has disabled reputation
Default Some 1/1000 Trek WIPís

I thought that Iíd share some of my most recent work in 1/1000 StarFleet ships. My primary area of interests in Trek has been TMP Era and The Lost Years Era of Designs. I donít exacy why, other than I like the less stringent and somewhat ďdirtied upĒ look of the ships not being completely austere, externally. Maybe itís just a standard male visual thing and I like the ďcleavageĒ that the TMP and LY Eras have.

Anyhow, off to the meat of this thread, a few Iíve assembled over the last couple of weeks.

USS TíPol, NCC-1975, Endurance-class frigate. Sheís named for the character from ST:ENT, registry is the year that Jolene Blalok was born.

https://flickr.com/photos/154656436@...57693074441251

USS Hunter, NCC-1419, Shanks-class light cruiser. A kitbash from the Jackillís design.

https://flickr.com/photos/154656436@...57694852657635

USS Ascension, NCC-2520, Ascension-class dreadnought. Essentially just a Belknap with an extra nacelle added. Well, and MEGA!phasers.

https://flickr.com/photos/154656436@...57693074955721

USS Belknap, NCC-2501, Belknap-class strike cruiser. Straight build, nothing extra kewel.

https://flickr.com/photos/154656436@...57694853896675

Hereís my most recent build, and my take on the Refit Federation-class dreadnought. Sheíll be USS Dominion, NCC-2115, and Iíve already got custom decals for her. The Dominion is my most recent, tho Iím still in need of a mold I made to fully cure so I can add an Abbe-class bridge and MEGA!phasers.

https://flickr.com/photos/154656436@...57689125439350

The only things Iíve disliked about this build is botching the making of the mold for extra parts and having to constantly sand the secondary hull to get the weird ďlipĒ out of the join. Itís been putty, sand, prime, putty, sand, prime, etc....

And Iíve got several other pics Iíve not shared here yet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5318-2.jpg (253.7 KB, 9 views)

Itís advised that you thoroughly research those from whom you plan to purchase from Garage Kit Manufacturers that you donít know!

Last edited by Griffworks; 03-31-2018 at 05:59 PM.
Old 03-24-2018, 06:39 PM
Humble Aspirant

SCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to all
Default Re: Some 1/1000 Trek WIPís

Very nice. Where did you get the Endurance parts?
Old 03-24-2018, 08:22 PM
Battlestar Triton

Thanks!

The Endurance parts were designed by our very own Aptivaboy! He took them down from sale as there's a minor issue with the wide of the rollbar - it needs to be something like 2.3mm wider to perfectly fit the Round 2 Reliant kit - tho you can still see their placeholder on Shapeways:

https://www.shapeways.com/product/PL...116&li=ostatus

Hopefully by the end of this coming week he'll have them all good!

Itís advised that you thoroughly research those from whom you plan to purchase from Garage Kit Manufacturers that you donít know!

Last edited by Griffworks; 03-24-2018 at 08:22 PM.
Old 03-24-2018, 11:55 PM

aptivaboy has a brilliant futureaptivaboy has a brilliant futureaptivaboy has a brilliant futureaptivaboy has a brilliant futureaptivaboy has a brilliant futureaptivaboy has a brilliant futureaptivaboy has a brilliant futureaptivaboy has a brilliant futureaptivaboy has a brilliant futureaptivaboy has a brilliant futureaptivaboy has a brilliant future

Trying. The sweep function on my CAD program is all fouled up. I did get a few new Excelsior necks done, but not much more. I so need a new computer.

Looking good!
Old 03-24-2018, 11:59 PM

frostrubin is a jewel in the roughfrostrubin is a jewel in the roughfrostrubin is a jewel in the roughfrostrubin is a jewel in the roughfrostrubin is a jewel in the roughfrostrubin is a jewel in the rough

I like that kitbashed Designs.
[QUOTE]putty, sand, prime, putty, sand, prime, etc..../QUOTE]
That is always the painful and boring part of ihr hobby.

www.frostrubin.deviantart.com

Last edited by frostrubin; 03-25-2018 at 12:00 AM.
Old 03-25-2018, 12:47 AM
Battlestar Triton

Thanks, Fellas! And sorry to hear about the PC issues. Hopefully, it can be resolved. Do what you gotta do, tho! Can't always help when technology betrays us.

Now with 100% more scratchbuilt bridges in 1/1000 scale!

Obviously more work to come!

Old 03-26-2018, 04:21 AM
The Kiwi

Location: Out there. Thataway. New Zealand actually. The country Universal Studios left off their globe...
Jim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to behold

[QUOTE=frostrubin;294289]
Quote:
putty, sand, prime, putty, sand, prime, etc..../QUOTE]
That is always the painful and boring part of ihr hobby.
I actually find it quite therapeutic
Old 03-26-2018, 11:51 PM
Battlestar Triton

Most times I do, too. It's just that on occasion, it gets so danged frustrating!

Quick update.

Showing a Federation Models dreadnought bridge installed on another build and on the left, my scratch-bash on the right.

The Business End.

Outboard view.

More pics of the Dominion build.

Both bridges on their second coat of primer. It's amazing how much the camera really shows you, innit?

I really like how this shows off the profile of my version of the bridge.

More pics of the bridge parts.

More to come.

Old 03-28-2018, 09:27 PM
Battlestar Triton

A few more, tho these are all older builds. I think I might have shared them a while back, but don't recall which I might or might not have. Plus, I've just created Albums on Flickr for them, so figured I'd share them here, now.

First up is the USS Daran, NCC-3201, lead ship of her class. It's modified from the original design by Todd Guenther, so not a true representation of Todd's original work. Pics in the Daran, NCC-3201, on Flickr.

Overhead view, which shows off her different back end from the original design.

Showing the navigational deflector and leading edge photorp tubes.

Next up is the USS Potemkin, NCC1711, and Enterprise-class heavy cruiser. She's also got LN-68 Mod 3 nacelles, as well as the split impulse engine deck that also gives her a pair of aft firing photorp tubes at that location. More pics in the album on Flickr.

Outboard view.

During construction showing the Abbe-class bridge.

This next is the USS Eagle, NCC-1969, a Peregrine-class frigate, based off a design by John Payne. Eagle album on Flickr.

Overhead view of the design.

Showing off the lower saucer mounted navigational deflector and leading edge photorp tubes.

More to come.

Old 03-29-2018, 08:03 AM
Humble Aspirant

SCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to all

*applauds*

Very nice work there.
Old 03-29-2018, 07:13 PM

aptivaboy has a brilliant futureaptivaboy has a brilliant futureaptivaboy has a brilliant futureaptivaboy has a brilliant futureaptivaboy has a brilliant futureaptivaboy has a brilliant futureaptivaboy has a brilliant futureaptivaboy has a brilliant futureaptivaboy has a brilliant futureaptivaboy has a brilliant futureaptivaboy has a brilliant future

Nice! Rally like the Daran!
Old 04-03-2018, 10:54 PM
Battlestar Triton

Thanks, Fellas!

One of my slightly older builds here....

This is my USS Socorro, NCC-1231, a Coventry-class frigate. The primary hull is resin that I received from a trade deal with a friend several months back. It's from Modular Models, whom has a pretty poor reputation for taking entirely long times to fill orders - some folks I know of have been waiting around a year now - rarely answer emails, have sent out poor quality castings, and/or are rude when they do reply to an email. Or in my case, to questions I asked on their FaceBook page - I asked what the expected wait time might be if I ordered two Balson-class secondary hulls and a couple of other parts. At first, I was pointedly ignored even tho there was a reply after my post within the thread, and then received vitriol-filled responses when I further inquired, which went to Messenger and become ever-incendiary in tone. I say all of that to state that I was very fortunate both to get this hull as I did in a trade, and that it was of very nice quality.

Anyhow, when these kit parts came out from Modular Models, I wasn't into Trek at the time, and definitely not in 1/1000 scale. There were very few kits in 1k at the time and my prediliction rain towards 1/2500 scale. After the Reliant kit was released in 1/1000 from Round 2, tho that changed my mind. By that time, tho, the issues with MM had started up and I wasn't about to potentially lose money or at least get my blood pressure up by having to dink around with MM - both with their poor customer service reputation and acidic replies.

I decided to make this a variant on the basic Coventry-class design. I'm inclined more towards TMP Era, as well as early Lost Years Era designs. As such, I wanted to go with a very early TMP feel for the design and gave her LN-54 "FleetWing" nacelles, first seen in "Ships of the Star Fleet, Volume One" and sported by the USS Endeavor (sic), a sub-class of the Constitution design. I thought those were some really kewel looking nacelles, which also showed a progression from TOS to TMP in design aesthetics.

So, I gave Socorro a pair of "Endeavour-Type" nacelles from UGH! Models line of conversion parts. I also gave her a TMP bridge, to show her as more of a later refit style of design. Like the Coventry-class in SotSF, Vol One, I eschewed a sensor dish.I didgo ahead and add an extra deck level on the ventral side. The part used was, I'm guessing, meant to give an alternative to the upper deck part that I used. Looking at the pics from SotSF, it showed what appeared to be some sort of lower additinoal decking, which I interpreted to be similar to that seen on the dorsal surface.

I really like this hull and am glad I got a hold of one. The only negative I have on the workmanship itself is one that is simply indicative of all hand-made masters - it's not 100% symmetrical. It's pretty darned close to it, tho! If you can get your hands on one of these, definitely get it. And please share pics of your work!

Anyhow, here you go.

Note the Refit bridge. I also drilled two holes on the forward surface of the B/C decks meant to represent AWALT style photorp tubes.

Aft view, showing the lower decks that I added. I call it a photorp deck and so drilled out a hole to represent an AWALT style photorp tube.

Showing the ventral surface.

And custom decals from JBOT.

More pics, to include earlier build pics, can be found in the Socorro album on Flickr.