Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > Works in Progress > Sci-Fi and Fantasy

Sci-Fi and Fantasy Sci-Fi and Fantasy WIPs

Old 07-08-2018, 12:40 PM

aptivaboy has a brilliant futureaptivaboy has a brilliant futureaptivaboy has a brilliant futureaptivaboy has a brilliant futureaptivaboy has a brilliant futureaptivaboy has a brilliant futureaptivaboy has a brilliant futureaptivaboy has a brilliant futureaptivaboy has a brilliant futureaptivaboy has a brilliant futureaptivaboy has a brilliant future
Default Re: USS Aylwin, Monocerous (modified) conversion

Needles in both arms makes sanding painful late on. Ugh. Anyway, the lower saucer is now fully sanded. I'm just working on rescribing some panel lines, the I'll join the saucer halves and Miliput in the window blanks. I'd have gotten more done but Kitty #1 has an upset tummy and made messes all over the house. Yeah, lotsa fun! Maui in four weeks, I keep telling myself, four weeks! I'm gonna finish the 3D printed corvette on the plane. First class to Maui!
Old 07-08-2018, 05:50 PM

Tiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant future

Needles in both arms?! Ouch! It's not some insane version of acupuncture is it?
Sorry to hear about the sick Kitty. I watched my brother's cats a few times and one was sick with projectile diarrhea... My sister-in-law does not know what happened to her shoes...

But Maui sounds good. Have fun enough for the lot of us!

http://thome216.imgur.com/

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z156/Thome216/

Last edited by Tiberious; 07-08-2018 at 05:51 PM.
Old 07-09-2018, 09:36 PM

aptivaboy has a brilliant futureaptivaboy has a brilliant futureaptivaboy has a brilliant futureaptivaboy has a brilliant futureaptivaboy has a brilliant futureaptivaboy has a brilliant futureaptivaboy has a brilliant futureaptivaboy has a brilliant futureaptivaboy has a brilliant futureaptivaboy has a brilliant futureaptivaboy has a brilliant future

I'm a platelet donor. The needle in the left arm takes the blood out, its centrifuged and the platelets removed, then the needle in the right arm puts the plasma and fluids back in. Its a somewhat long and sometimes painful process but I truly know that I've saved a life or two afterwards. Cancer, leukemia, autoimmune, burn patients, hemophiliacs and premie babies get my platelets. I'm a super platelet donor. They get one unit from most people but sometimes up to three from me so the Red Cross is always calling every two weeks. My arms look like spaghetti from the scar tissue. But hey, I got a free t-shirt out of it this time!

Okay, all sanding is done in the upper and lower hull except the inserts. That starts tomorrow if I can ever find the Miliput.
Old 07-09-2018, 11:11 PM

PS. Any ideas on what the new pylon should look like? I have some ideas and CAD designs but I'd like to hear what you all think before divulging what I've "sort of" designed. I actually don't think that the saucer to nacelle pylon should include a torp launcher but... I'm willing to be convinced otherwise if the solution is logical and not wasteful of internal volume.

What do you all think? Ideas?
Old 07-10-2018, 02:34 PM

Tiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by aptivaboy View Post
I'm a platelet donor. The needle in the left arm takes the blood out, its centrifuged and the platelets removed, then the needle in the right arm puts the plasma and fluids back in. Its a somewhat long and sometimes painful process but I truly know that I've saved a life or two afterwards. Cancer, leukemia, autoimmune, burn patients, hemophiliacs and premie babies get my platelets. I'm a super platelet donor. They get one unit from most people but sometimes up to three from me so the Red Cross is always calling every two weeks. My arms look like spaghetti from the scar tissue. But hey, I got a free t-shirt out of it this time!

Okay, all sanding is done in the upper and lower hull except the inserts. That starts tomorrow if I can ever find the Miliput.
Wow, tip of the cap to you, sir!

http://thome216.imgur.com/

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z156/Thome216/
Old 08-31-2018, 07:48 PM

Okay, back from Maui! Construction begins anew tomorrow.
Old 09-01-2018, 06:04 PM
The Kiwi

Location: Out there. Thataway. New Zealand actually. The country Universal Studios left off their globe...
Jim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by aptivaboy View Post
It always bugs me when single nacelle designs don't feature any additional internal volume for the engineering section that should take up a large area in the missing engineering hull.
My thinking too. Hence the ship in my avatar having an engineering section extending from the saucer.
Old 09-01-2018, 08:55 PM

I've CADded up several possible little hull extensions/pylons, but none really thrill me. The plan is to have a Reliant-style affair on the lower saucer where the single nacelle pylon joins the hull. I just can't design one that I like enough to print. Decisions, decisions...

The window inserts were strengthened and reinforced earlier today. I'll some rescribing over the next two days and then join the hull halves. I foresee a lot of Miliput in my future!
Old 09-03-2018, 01:56 AM

And, as an aside, I made another platelet donation today. Please, consider donating platelets or whole blood if you can. No excuses, no "I'm scared of the needle," crap, just do it. Man up. You will save a life, maybe more than one.

I'm no hero, just a guy with a day job. If I can do it, then you can, too. Okay, back to the Miliput.
Old 09-03-2018, 04:50 PM
The Kiwi

Location: Out there. Thataway. New Zealand actually. The country Universal Studios left off their globe...
Jim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to behold

Have given 10 donations of whole blood but now NZ Blood has me on permanent deferment due to one incidence of atrial fibrillation...
Old 09-05-2018, 09:52 PM

Sorry to hear that! The Red Cross here doesn't care about much. If you're breathing, they're calling to get you to come in. Best wishes and I hope it isn't anything serious.
Old 09-09-2018, 09:14 PM

https://www.flickr.com/photos/143972...posted-public/

A new neck/pylon. The bulge is a deflector dish.
Old 09-10-2018, 04:26 PM
The Kiwi

That looks good. What software are you using?
Old 09-10-2018, 08:13 PM

Alibre Design. Technically, its Geomagic but then the folks at Alibre bought them back (thankfully!). Geomagic was making it into orphanware. Its similar to Solidworks but on a seriously smaller budget.

A little bit more work done. Sorry, I can't seem to figure out how to link the Flickr images directly.

Last edited by aptivaboy; 09-10-2018 at 08:56 PM.
Old 09-13-2018, 08:38 PM

Just a small demo of where this is going. This is not the final shape, just a proof of concept shot or two. I just revolved the upper pylon structure out into a pie wedge on one side. I'll work on the right shape and details and then do the same to the other side, mirroring it. This will create a slightly larger engineering hull underbody, like the underside of the Reliant. Ideas on how far the wedges should go? The full 90 degrees? Right now, they're at 70%.