Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > Works in Progress > Sci-Fi and Fantasy

Sci-Fi and Fantasy Sci-Fi and Fantasy WIPs

Old 07-27-2018, 01:42 PM

NemVia has much to be proud ofNemVia has much to be proud ofNemVia has much to be proud ofNemVia has much to be proud ofNemVia has much to be proud ofNemVia has much to be proud ofNemVia has much to be proud ofNemVia has much to be proud ofNemVia has much to be proud ofNemVia has much to be proud ofNemVia has much to be proud of
Default My 1/8 Scale BTTF Delorean (WIP)

I Just received my first 2 issues of my Back To The Future Delorean Time Machine. I've never done a subscription build before, but this model intrigues me. The best part about this build is that everything is pre-painted to specs and all that is required is the assembly of the pieces. I LOVE IT! Each of the issues takes only 10 - 15 minutes to assemble. There are decals and screws that come with the kit. This build is a nice diversion from my other projects which are very time consuming. So here goes.... enjoy!
Mark
http://www.NemVia.net
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_7839.JPG (210.4 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 100_7841.JPG (262.9 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 100_7842.JPG (153.8 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 100_7847.JPG (129.7 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 100_7849.JPG (105.4 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by NemVia; 07-29-2018 at 07:41 AM.
Old 07-28-2018, 05:45 AM
Humble Aspirant

SCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to all
Default Re: My 1/8 Scale BTTF Delorean (WIP)

Never even heard of such a beast-- do you have a link to the publisher?

Thanks for posting, it looks great.
Old 07-28-2018, 11:44 AM

NemVia has much to be proud ofNemVia has much to be proud ofNemVia has much to be proud ofNemVia has much to be proud ofNemVia has much to be proud ofNemVia has much to be proud ofNemVia has much to be proud ofNemVia has much to be proud ofNemVia has much to be proud ofNemVia has much to be proud ofNemVia has much to be proud of

It is The Back To The Future Delorean by Eaglemoss. I got it through FineScale modeler Ad.
Thought I'd try one out. This was the best kit to start with. (I thought)
Mark
Old 07-29-2018, 01:38 PM
JAFO

PakRatJR Overlord Master of AllPakRatJR Overlord Master of AllPakRatJR Overlord Master of AllPakRatJR Overlord Master of AllPakRatJR Overlord Master of AllPakRatJR Overlord Master of AllPakRatJR Overlord Master of AllPakRatJR Overlord Master of AllPakRatJR Overlord Master of AllPakRatJR Overlord Master of AllPakRatJR Overlord Master of All

Cool

I have seen this a couple times, along with the Falcon. I wouldn't mind doing both of them but I am too impatient. I couldn't stand waiting month to month for the next piece lol
Old 08-16-2018, 03:18 PM

Just Got Issues 3 - 6 in the mail and assembled.
For more pics use the URL below. See you next update.
Mark

https://www.nemvia.net/apps/photos/a...bumid=16123425
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_7885.JPG (155.7 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 100_7882.JPG (154.9 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 100_7888.JPG (90.5 KB, 10 views)
Old 08-24-2018, 04:47 PM
A Poor Widow's Son

137th Gebirg is a splendid one to behold137th Gebirg is a splendid one to behold137th Gebirg is a splendid one to behold137th Gebirg is a splendid one to behold137th Gebirg is a splendid one to behold137th Gebirg is a splendid one to behold137th Gebirg is a splendid one to behold137th Gebirg is a splendid one to behold137th Gebirg is a splendid one to behold137th Gebirg is a splendid one to behold137th Gebirg is a splendid one to behold

I, too, am building the Eaglemoss DMC-12 and I really am amazed at the level of engineering that has gone into making this model.

While they've only put out 14 issues here in the US, the pros, from what I can tell, are:
  • It is a highly accurate design, based off a real 82-83 DeLorean DMC-12, right down to the Lotus-made frame and articulated suspension.
  • Instructions are comprehensive and clear to understand. Packaging is ordered and very well engineered, as much as the model itself. This is a good thing, as there lots of little screws and complex parts. A regimented approach to this build is necessary to get it right.
  • Again, since I've only recently started building it, I can't speak intelligently on the stuff that hasn't been sent out yet, but I have been truly impressed with what I've seen so far and I in no way have buyer's remorse.

The cons are few, mostly have to do with the screws used to assemble everything, but should be cited:
  • Some of the screw types are mislabeled in the instructions. Fortunately, they give you plenty of extras (pro) in case you lose some or run out from one issue or another.
  • The screw holes are not pre-tapped and the screws themselves are not self-tapping. This can result in cross-threading and screws that don't go in all the way.
  • The screwdrivers they provide with the early issues are **okay**. Because of the lack of threading in the model, they're getting chewed up, as are the screw heads. I've had to resort to using some from my own collection, and I've chewed up a couple of those as well. At least they're magnetic.
  • Speaking of magnetic, they use magnets on the rotors and hub spindles to give the builder the option of making a "flying" BTTF II DeLorean. I didn't realize until after I assembled the real suspension (issues 11 thru 14) that one of the rotor magnets (from issue 14) was missing and is not staying in the upwards "driving" position on its own. Going to have to call up Eaglemoss to try to get a replacement. I've heard that's not difficult to do, FWIW, so I'm hopeful this will become a non-issue.

I know the list of "cons" may seem longer than the "pros", but they really are small things compared to the immense nature and fantastic quality of the overall model. Every time I open up a new shipment, I'm looking forward to making it all come together. Having owned and restored an '81 DMC-12 myself (not something I advise for the faint-of-heart), I'm pleased to see so far that this thing really is a scaled-down version of the original (without all the crappy Brit aluminum wiring! ). They did not skimp on engineering and tooling. Yes, the metal parts are simple pot-metal, but that's okay considering the scale. It has an impressive weight to it and I'm really looking forward to getting the engine, body and interior parts.

Last edited by 137th Gebirg; 08-24-2018 at 04:53 PM.
Old 10-08-2018, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 137th Gebirg View Post
I, too, am building the Eaglemoss DMC-12 and I really am amazed at the level of engineering that has gone into making this model.

While they've only put out 14 issues here in the US, the pros, from what I can tell, are:
  • It is a highly accurate design, based off a real 82-83 DeLorean DMC-12, right down to the Lotus-made frame and articulated suspension.
  • Instructions are comprehensive and clear to understand. Packaging is ordered and very well engineered, as much as the model itself. This is a good thing, as there lots of little screws and complex parts. A regimented approach to this build is necessary to get it right.
  • Again, since I've only recently started building it, I can't speak intelligently on the stuff that hasn't been sent out yet, but I have been truly impressed with what I've seen so far and I in no way have buyer's remorse.

The cons are few, mostly have to do with the screws used to assemble everything, but should be cited:
  • Some of the screw types are mislabeled in the instructions. Fortunately, they give you plenty of extras (pro) in case you lose some or run out from one issue or another.
  • The screw holes are not pre-tapped and the screws themselves are not self-tapping. This can result in cross-threading and screws that don't go in all the way.
  • The screwdrivers they provide with the early issues are **okay**. Because of the lack of threading in the model, they're getting chewed up, as are the screw heads. I've had to resort to using some from my own collection, and I've chewed up a couple of those as well. At least they're magnetic.
  • Speaking of magnetic, they use magnets on the rotors and hub spindles to give the builder the option of making a "flying" BTTF II DeLorean. I didn't realize until after I assembled the real suspension (issues 11 thru 14) that one of the rotor magnets (from issue 14) was missing and is not staying in the upwards "driving" position on its own. Going to have to call up Eaglemoss to try to get a replacement. I've heard that's not difficult to do, FWIW, so I'm hopeful this will become a non-issue.

I know the list of "cons" may seem longer than the "pros", but they really are small things compared to the immense nature and fantastic quality of the overall model. Every time I open up a new shipment, I'm looking forward to making it all come together. Having owned and restored an '81 DMC-12 myself (not something I advise for the faint-of-heart), I'm pleased to see so far that this thing really is a scaled-down version of the original (without all the crappy Brit aluminum wiring! ). They did not skimp on engineering and tooling. Yes, the metal parts are simple pot-metal, but that's okay considering the scale. It has an impressive weight to it and I'm really looking forward to getting the engine, body and interior parts.
Thanks for you thoughts on this. It is like any other build where some things just have to be corrected to an individuals liking. I think building this kit is a lot of fun even though there are a few things that need to be corrected as far as assembly goes.

SEPTEMBER/OCTOBER Updates - 2018
Hi Everyone! I didn't forget about you. I've been working my tail off at my secular job. A Lot of changes being made that interfere with my projects BIG TIme. Hopefully it will calm down a bit over the next few weeks.

For my DeLorean build, I had to hold off on that for about a month because my ISSUE 10 had some missing parts. The different size fixing screws are all labeled with letters like DM which represent the screw size needed to mount some of the parts together or to the main frame of the car. Well, instead of sending me the screws labeled DM, I received to packets of AP screws which a smaller than the DM screws so I could not finish some of the build. I got on the phone with Eaglemoss right away and told them what the problem was and without question or charge they sent me another issue 10! This was awesome. I only needed the screws but they sent me a Whole new Issue. I couldn't believe it! No problems! Great people to work with. So if anyone needs a new Issue 10 minus the DM screws for whatever reason let me know.

Anyway, instead of just the September update with issues 6 - 9, I am also adding Octobers update with Issues 10 - 14. Little by little the car is taking shape. I have 37 new pics of the parts and assembly of issues 6 -14 on the 1/8 Scale DeLorean Build page for this month! Check it out and I'll see you next month.
Mark
https://www.NemVia.net
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_7909.JPG (127.9 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 100_7929.JPG (165.1 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 100_7931.JPG (83.6 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 100_7932.JPG (84.7 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 100_7943 - Copy.JPG (93.5 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 100_7947.JPG (210.5 KB, 8 views)