Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > Works in Progress > Sci-Fi and Fantasy

Sci-Fi and Fantasy Sci-Fi and Fantasy WIPs

Old 08-09-2018, 04:02 AM

Madhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to behold
Default Zvezda Star Destroyer - a new detailing project

LOL - I could almost hear the collective groan throughout the forum as I was posting this thread: "FFS! Another Star Destroyer?!" - but I don't care - I'm going to bore you with my build anyways

Hi everyone

I thought it time to bite the bullet and start on the "smaller" of the 2 Star Destroyers I have in my stash (well really, the Bandai mini SD's are the smallest I have but they are not ones I am going to detail). The biggest one is the Korbanth Super Star Destroyer which as most you know measures out to be about a meter or so long. The mini Bandai ones are to go with the SSD. I will build that monster one day but I want to tackle the one that requires the least amount of health prevention work first. I've cleared some room on my display shelf for both ships

This kit obviously doesn't any introductions so we'll keep moving on

I bought this kit ages ago but just haven't had the mojo to put in the effort it deserves.
I'll be adding the inevitable details and of course lighting (which goes without saying really). To go with this kit, I've got the Falcon 3D printed hangar bay, rubbish chute, shield generators and engine bells - all of which are beautifully made and smooth as a babies behind. I might even go to Shapeways and order a set of gun turrets too.

As always, your feedback will be welcomed throughout the build - good or bad. If something looks wrong, say something in time so I can fix it

So, Update #1 - playing with the ass end (don't be rude! )

So this is what Zvezda give you in terms of detail OOB

Nothing wrong with that at all. Once those bells go on, you don't see much unless you're looking anyway.

I removed the molded on pipes in the middle here because they don't even meet up to the parts at the end. They seem pointless and half done, which on a ship this size is noticeable

Now here's what I've added to the surfaces (bear in mind I have only just started and there is a LOT more to do yet! I am just winging these details BTW)

If you need to ask, the cream bits are all cast resin pieces of bits I use a lot of. Very handy and inexpensive

As you can see in those last 2 pics, I've gone outside what is on the filming model and added those inserts to make things a little more interesting. I'll be adding some pipes going in and out of there later

Anyways, I'll update again once I've finished the other sides which will be a while away as I only build 3 nights a week

Thanks for stopping in and having a look

Si
Old 08-09-2018, 07:43 AM
Humble Aspirant

SCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to all
Default Re: Zvezda Star Destroyer - a new detailing project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madhatter View Post
LOL - I could almost hear the collective groan throughout the forum as I was posting this thread: "FFS! Another Star Destroyer?!" - but I don't care - I'm going to bore you with my build anyways
[...]
That wasn't a "collective groan"-- it was my hot air popcorn popper firing up.

An in-depth Zvezda SD build, on ResIlluminati?

Fire away, and don't skimp on the pics.

-SF
Old 08-10-2018, 06:26 PM

Madhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCI-FI View Post
That wasn't a "collective groan"-- it was my hot air popcorn popper firing up.

An in-depth Zvezda SD build, on ResIlluminati?

Fire away, and don't skimp on the pics.

-SF

LOL -I was just being stupid with the groan statement. But don't worry , I won't skimp on pictures
Old 08-10-2018, 06:35 PM

Tiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant future

Ugh! Gasp. Moan and groan!! Not another awesome build from the Madhatter, is it? Again?!

Well, if you feel you must... What you have so far already looks stellar, so I would say keep it up.

I salute you, sir!!

http://thome216.imgur.com/

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z156/Thome216/
Old 08-10-2018, 07:41 PM

pfft -
Don't hate me coz I'm beautiful

How you been Thom? Haven't seen much from you lately - you on a break?
Mind you, I haven't been into the Military section for a while so you might have something going on in there?
Old 08-11-2018, 06:06 PM

Tiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant future

No break, just starting a few projects, putting them on hold and starting others. Normal modeling routine!

Haven't touched a sci fi project in a while. Mostly WWII piston. I have a dual Seafire build in Military (which is on hold at the moment) and a P-47 Dottie Mae in the Britmodeller group build area.

Just sanding and sanding and sanding!

Old 08-22-2018, 04:57 AM

Update #2 - almost done with the back end

So, most of the piping has been added and I am happy with how it's coming along. I am still going to add a few more closer to the central leading edge just to busy that up a little more but it won't be a lot.

I drilled out the ends of the engines ready for the lighting to go in. I won't add that until after painting.

I won't talk much and let the pictures tell you what I've done

Well, that's all I have for now. The next update should hopefully be the finished back end

Till next time, thanks for looking

Si
Old 08-22-2018, 06:44 AM
All ahead full

AdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud of

My God, that is gorgeous work! I'm a sucker for brass and that plumbing is pure artwork. Can you describe how you are bending the tubing (or rod) into such beautiful arcs?
Old 08-22-2018, 06:57 AM

yeah for sure - I just use rounded pliers that I stole/re-appropriated from the wife after she went through a making jewellery phase many years ago
They've been super useful so far and it's unlikely she'll ever get them back
Old 08-22-2018, 11:25 AM
Humble Aspirant

SCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to all

There's "super-detailing," "hyper-detailing," and then there's "Madhatter-level-detailing."
Just fantastic work, well done.

-SF
Old 08-23-2018, 01:06 AM

LOL - thanks bud. I'm pretty happy with it myself so far
Not far off finishing the back end and then it'll be onto the bridge!
Old 08-23-2018, 05:59 PM

Well, that bridge better watch out for a massive make-over, to judge by that back end!

Old 08-26-2018, 07:53 PM

Well, I've done all the detailing that I'm going to do to the back end. I'll be base painting it all black etc shortly and then onto getting the lighting sorted out. I'm not sure which colours I should go for. Ice blue or white for the main thrusters? Warm white for the smaller ones as well.

Next update should be the final pics of the back end

Thanks for stopping in and having a look

Si
Old 08-27-2018, 07:29 AM
Humble Aspirant

Ice-blue for the main engines.
Definitely.
Old 08-27-2018, 07:21 PM

I agree and thats just what I've gone for. White ones for rhe smaller ones